AA Network sounds better with…

Those 1N3996 zeners are not really necessary if one uses common sense while listening. Those things are expensive and if you just fuse your speakers the tweeter will be protected. My speakers are fused with a 1amp fast blow and never blow while listening. If you stupidly pull out the input jacks from your amplifier and cause a transient they most likely will blow and will prove it works and the tweeter will be fine. I know from experience. There has been discussion recently on this forum about those zeners degrading the sound as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Klipschguy said:

Here is a response curve for the Khorn. Interestingly, from this graph it appears a little boost between 5000Hz and 6000Hz would indeed be beneficial to the high frequency balance of the loudspeaker.  

2B0E3DA7-1964-44B9-B954-26359513B528.jpeg

Yep, it's a graph, but not a great one representing a k-horn. The dip between 5 and 6kHz is likely due to the crossover point [interaction]. It hard to say since we do not know what crossover this graph represents. Trying to EQ this area is not easy and requires measuring equipment and many iterations of changes. 

4 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

The dip between 5 and 6kHz is likely due to the crossover point [interaction].

Yeah, it's the crossover region.

Until recently, that's pretty much what all of the Khorn plots looks like.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, henry4841 said:

Those 1N3996 zeners are not really necessary if one uses common sense while listening. Those things are expensive and if you just fuse your speakers the tweeter will be protected. My speakers are fused with a 1amp fast blow and never blow while listening. If you stupidly pull out the input jacks from your amplifier and cause a transient they most likely will blow and will prove it works and the tweeter will be fine. I know from experience. There has been discussion recently on this forum about those zeners degrading the sound as well. 

4 hours ago, Curious_George said:

Yep, it's a graph, but not a great one representing a k-horn. The dip between 5 and 6kHz is likely due to the crossover point [interaction]. It hard to say since we do not know what crossover this graph represents. Trying to EQ this area is not easy and requires measuring equipment and many iterations of changes. 

Paul Klipsch could fix it with a steel screw.

(I would add a winking emoji, but I have no clue how - never added one.)

4 hours ago, Curious_George said:

What speakers are you listening to know Dean? I know they were not Klipsch's awhile back or do you swap in different pairs every so often?

I do most of my music listening with IEMs - Klipsch x20i and Sennheiser IE800s. 

I'm usually upstairs, and that system is ATC scm20psl mk 2, dual SVS SB2000's, Cambridge Audio CXA-81, Panasonic DP-UB9000, and a LG 65” C1. This system is dialed in pretty good for the kind of stuff I like to listen to. Yesterday it was Pantera. I do have another system in the nether region, which is a pair of RB-61 II, Dayton Audio Titanic 15", and a Topping 60 wpc amp running off of an Integra processor. The speakers were a gift from Michael Colter, and they are engineering samples from the Klipsch lab in Indy. 

Thinking hard about some Forte IV's. 

11 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

I did not know The Man, but I am pretty sure he threw a healthy fit.

.…especially when he realized just about every Klipschorn and La Scala from the 1970s left the factory with a ferrous inductor screw! 😇 (I figured out emojis, my first.)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
On 8/2/2022 at 5:32 PM, Klipschguy said:

The .245 inductor is the round thing in the top right corner of the picture BESIDE the 2.4mH inductor.

Eeegads that screw goes right down the center, I though we were talking about a screw into a fastener/clip that held it in place outside of the coil.

• Like 1