Atmos Elevation speaker efficiency rating

NOSValves

Been I while since I've posted around here. I was looking for some idea of the efficiency of the various Atmos Elevation speakers Klipsch offers.  Like the R-104SA, R-40SA R-41SA or RP-500SA. Stating complies with dobly atmos doesn't tell me much LOL!! I'm trying to decide if they will at all blend intyo my al;ready none comforming surround setup. I'm using Belle Klipsch as the mains, KLF-C7 center and Heresy rears. Was thinking about adding sides and 4 atmos up firing since my Onkyo TX-NR636 Receiver supports it. It has + - 12db for level matching so I can lower fronts and center to match the Heresy's and raise the elevationb speakers to meet that.

What do the home theater gods have to say? 

Thanks Craig

• Like 2

Yes, some people here are going with ceiling speakers for their atmos directly covering rear ceiling seating position. Others are using their front atmos models to do that effect of bouncing off the ceiling.

Ceiling height comes into what is possible and what or which approach is preferable.

Going to tag @wuzzzer here as he has some dealings and opinions on atmos.

Others here as well. A little bit slow here lately.

Thanks!

Great to see you back on the forum!

Where/how are you going to mount them?  On the ceiling aimed at you?  High up on the walls?  On top your other speakers using the "bounce" effect?

With the rest of the speakers you have I wouldn't do anything less than the RP-500SA.

Thanks everyone. Wuzzzer my ceiling is at an extreme slope (cathedral) with the lowest (8ft) wall on the right side of the room and the highest (about 16' to 18') on the left. So ceiling mounting or firing them up is not possible. I was considering doing 4 of them. Two mounted flat about 10 to 12' up on the front wall pointed downward toward the sweet spot and another pair up just under 8' on the right and left walls angle to or near the listening position. I'm just spit balling rioght now since I'm current laid up with a bum knee.. health wise the hits just keep coming nothing life threatening, just annoying as all get out. 

Check out the attached picture of the page with speaker hookup and layout gopt the TX-NR636 receiver it looks to me like they have you wire the front and rear height speakers in Parallel per channel.

PS the manual is dated...at the time of publish I do not believe Atmos was supported or maybe even in existance. It was added through firmware update so the drawing might be useless since they do not refer to the rears as height speakers. . 

speaker layout.jpg

• Like 1

I found a newer manual that I believe states you can do rear surrounds or Dolby Atmos height front not both. It actual spans 3 pages talkiing about speaker hookup and Dolby Atmos. So I guess I just saved buying 2 of the 4 I was thinking about.  

Speaker Layout 2.jpg

Speaker Layout 3.jpg

Speaker Layout 4.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Good to see you Craig.

I don't know much about Atmos, but aren't the ceiling speakers for some minor spacial sound effects? 

What I mean is how much does it really matter what speakers you use.

Thanks! Not sure I just know they need to be efficient enough to be level match by the available adjustment in the receiver. The timber match I would think is secondary. Which is really what my question was about since Klipsch does not list that spec. only that they are Dolby Atmos compatible or compliant. 

Some are even doing raised bookshelf's for the atmos effect. A bit of the wild west in interpreting atmos as a whole but modifying as a means to an end. Thus the 4 atmos effect they are doing with the HT.

Likely atmos not as sacred for some as just a means.

18 minutes ago, NOSValves said:

Thanks! Not sure I just know they need to be efficient enough to be level match by the available adjustment in the receiver. The timber match I would think is secondary. Which is really what my question was about since Klipsch does not list that spec. only that they are Dolby Atmos compatible or compliant. 

I would expect your heritage to drown out any in ceiling speaker. 

If they But I searched for one of the speakers listed and they are horn speakers so probably the most efficient offering out there. 

2 hours ago, NOSValves said:

I found a newer manual that I believe states you can do rear surrounds or Dolby Atmos height front not both. It actual spans 3 pages talkiing about speaker hookup and Dolby Atmos. So I guess I just saved buying 2 of the 4 I was thinking about.  

Speaker Layout 2.jpg

Speaker Layout 3.jpg

Speaker Layout 4.jpg

Yeah a lot is receivers give you an either/or option as far as Atmos, height, surround, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I went ahead splurged picked up a pair 500-SA mounted them up high on the front wall. Seems to work darn nice... My sub seems to now be my weak point.  My 2002 era KSW-15 is just to slow blubbery to mate well with the Belles and the rest of my speakers.. I was digging around Amazon and eBay the Reference R-12SW can be had cheap! The review I've read all seem great many call it tight, articulate and distortion free. At $200 each affording a pair is pretty darn easy! 

Any thoughts? 

• Like 1