ACA Mini kit

henry4841

16 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Could a rank amateur assemble that?

If you can follow directions and solder you should have no problems. Soldering is like welding, actually is welding, heat the parts enough to melt the solder and not the other way around. Check each and every component with a cheap parts tester before putting it on the board. No satisfaction like building your own. Guaranteed to have a big smile when finished.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

Ordered one today thanks to this post. $138 with shipping. Thanks @henry4841 for the heads up! I wanted one months ago!

I think it was Captainbeefheart that really favored this mini over the regular ACA. At least the design. No matter what one thinks of Captain he really did seem to know his stuff. If one really wants to know what all the fuss about Class A is about this $125 project is as cheap as I have ever heard of building a class A SS amplifier. Something constructive to do in ones spare time along with the kids as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

If there is a large enough interest in making this amplifier but a problem of getting the boards there is a possible solution. I have the board layout in a pdf and can make copies of it for sale. It's very simple and should only take me an hour or so to make the gerber files. Then I can email the file and have 10 or so boards made up.

I am limited to computer work right now with my back out. This sucks big time.

So far it’s enjoyable. I’ve connected it to my LSI splits and it’s plenty. Despite low power seems to still have headroom. I’m listening to songs I listened to days ago running a big Carver and the biggest difference is it’s only 5 watts. 

Anyone know about making adjustments? The bias current value need to be hot or cold. At start up I was at .21 once hot .39.