ACA Mini kit

henry4841

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

You can use the Schiit SYS or one of their headphone amps provided you're not in need of many inputs.

Thanks! That looks good with 2 inputs (all I need). To clarify, in to the SYS from source (eg phono preamp/cd player), then out from the SYS to the ACA mini? Sounds like a winner if I can fix a couple of soldering mistakes.

9 hours ago, Sam S. said:

Yes, among others. If you have Klipsch speakers the Amp Camp should be enough without an active, gain, preamp. At least it is for me. I do use an active buffer, Firstwatt B1 version 2 clone I built, with no gain. What you show above is nothing more than a potentiometer in a case. Should work fine though. 

You could just install a 100K dual potentiometer on the amp camp someway and save a few bucks. 

https://www.amazon.com/Taiwan-Electronic-RV24BF-10-15R1-A100K-Potentiometer-Tolerance/dp/B06X3VS1SL/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1MPJFNVCMMDBN&keywords=dual+potentiometer+100k&qid=1672833495&sprefix=dual+potentiometer+100k%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-7

You can find it cheaper elsewhere but adding shipping will make it more expensive. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sam S. said:

To clarify, into the SYS from source (eg phono preamp/cd player), then out from the SYS to the ACA mini?

You are somewhat correct, with a Phono (unless your record player comes with preamp built in) you will need a phono preamp between one of the SYS inputs and record player. 

There may be other low-cost options, but if you are already ordering from Schitt, why not complete the system?  Plus, their gear is great and sounds great, best bang for the buck I have found. 

Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California

Just an FYI, when I ran my Schiit Modi DAC directly to my ACA, I never felt the need for a preamp.  Only added one so I can have input options such as you may need.  Hence why some are recommending just a passive preamp. 

56 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You are somewhat correct, with a Phono (unless your record player comes with preamp built in) you will need a phono preamp between one of the SYS inputs and record player. 

There may be other low-cost options, but if you are already ordering from Schitt, why not complete the system?  Plus, their gear is great and sounds great, best bang for the buck I have found. 

Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California

Just an FYI, when I ran my Schiit Modi DAC directly to my ACA, I never felt the need for a preamp.  Only added one so I can have input options such as you may need.  Hence why some are recommending just a passive preamp. 

Thanks, Dude. I already have a phono preamp, but might be an upgrade to go to the schiit. Look like good quality products. My plan is to fix a couple of solder screw ups (I have a solder sucker on order), then bias the amp, and fingers crossed. 

• Like 1