Receiver recommendations

Scott Analog

I use a H/K 430 on H3s, love it.  So much so I 've been the unsuccessful bidder on a handful of other amps in the line (730 or a 330c) along with some of the H/K quads (75+).  I've also been exploring some of the Pioneer SX-X50 amps and the Onkyo TX-X500 line as an alternate given their relatively high damping factors but have yet to come across the right one (a combination of non-working features to drive the price down but not so destroyed that they're a boat anchor).

I'll admit you might need to turn down the treble, which I had done when running the H/K 430.  Lately I've been biamping using the H/K 430 for the woofer and a TU-8200 for the squwaker + tweeter.  I find that the combo either tamed the harshness of the amp/tweeter or there was some serious confirmation bias justifying the renewed use of the unused Elekit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scott Analog said:

I have a set of 1963 H series speakers, and I want to pair them with a '70s vintage receiver. I'd love to get some ideas.

Yamaha A-S801  , under 1 k$  , is built like  Vintage amps  , but with new  modern components , 100wpc  .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BadChile said:

I use a H/K 430 on H3s, love it.  So much so I 've been the unsuccessful bidder on a handful of other amps in the line (730 or a 330c) along with some of the H/K quads (75+).  I've also been exploring some of the Pioneer SX-X50 amps and the Onkyo TX-X500 line as an alternate given their relatively high damping factors but have yet to come across the right one (a combination of non-working features to drive the price down but not so destroyed that they're a boat anchor).

I'll admit you might need to turn down the treble, which I had done when running the H/K 430.  Lately I've been biamping using the H/K 430 for the woofer and a TU-8200 for the squwaker + tweeter.  I find that the combo either tamed the harshness of the amp/tweeter or there was some serious confirmation bias justifying the renewed use of the unused Elekit.

Honestly I would welcome some treble. I think the caps in my speakers, which are original , may be a little tired after 59 years. I've inspected them, and are outwardly clean, so I'd like to keep them original if at all possible. I just ordered a set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers to pair with them, to gain some crisper highs. I already added a sub.

• Like 1

I'll toss in my usual vote for a Luxman R-117, I own 3,  or R-115 which I have not heard.  I also like the Akai AM-2850 I owned, or if you can find one, an AM-2950 would be nice.  The Akai's do not have OTA AM/FM tuner.

I'll also offer my usual caveat, you may want to find a good vintage amp tech.  Some need cleaning, maybe some cap replacements, relays etc.  So best to know a tech you can rely on.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

The nice part is you have remote control with some vintage receivers amps which also typically has phono input.

This is true for the Luxman r-114 -117 models mentioned above. I have the 114 and like it.

Remote controls for these found online as generally missing.

Abit surprised your AVR has phono input and 60 wpc fronts.

• Like 2

@Scott Analog, as @billybob notes, the Luxman R-11X line have a remote! You can download codes to a Logitech universal.  As a interesting note, the R-114 is the only one in the lineup with a MUTE function!

R-11X have pre-outs, good for a sub to help the Hersey LF... I use a Velodyne DD10 connected this way to my R-117.

I use a Luxman TT  with MM cartridge with the R-117, CD player, music server and analogue out from an Oppo BDP-103.

The tone controls on the Luxman and Akai work well.  The Akai AM-2950 has 5 band tone control, and VU meters!  

Find that audio tech, find your vintage receiver, get a bevie and enjoy!

• Like 2

Pretty much any name brand receiver from that era that’s been kept in good repair will work great.

Marantz

harman/kardon

Kenwood

Sony

I would just look on your local Craigslist and Facebook marketplace to see what’s out there.  For $100-200 you should find something decent.

I agree with the others, it's hard to beat a Luxman for the price. My vote is for R-115 (117's can be $$$, & the 115 is usually plenty of power for most Klipsch) I'm using my R-115 as a pre-amp (Lux recievers sound "warm", not sterile/flat) with the pre-outs feeding a restored Yamaha M-60 amp.

Why? I get the remote volume control & "warm" sound of the Lux PLUS the watts/headroom & cool dual power meter display of the Yammy 😃  

• Like 2