Receiver recommendations

Scott Analog

3 minutes ago, nickyboy6100 said:

M series Yamaha amps work great with Chorus. M-85 was my favorite amp with my Chorus II. I tried quite a few. They all sounded good, but the M-85 definitely took them to the next level. 

I like it loud, but at about "10:00 o'clock" volume, pictures fall off walls & my chest/ribs vibrate with the bass notes. Over the years I've ruined quite a few CD cases that vibrated out of their stand & hit the floor/broke 🤣

2 minutes ago, Chorus1 Fan said:

I like it loud, but at about "10:00 o'clock" volume, pictures fall off walls & my chest/ribs vibrate with the bass notes. Over the years I've ruined quite a few CD cases that vibrated out of their stand & hit the floor/broke 🤣

Isn’t that a great feeling🤘

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chorus1 Fan said:

I agree with the others, it's hard to beat a Luxman for the price. My vote is for R-115 (117's can be $$$, & the 115 is usually plenty of power for most Klipsch) I'm using my R-115 as a pre-amp (Lux recievers sound "warm", not sterile/flat) with the pre-outs feeding a restored Yamaha M-60 amp.

Why? I get the remote volume control & "warm" sound of the Lux PLUS the watts/headroom & cool dual power meter display of the Yammy 😃  

How about the R113?

@billybob @Scott Analognot to belabour the points but ...

My lit says the R-117 does 160 wpc, stereo, RMS at 8 ohms.  Some lit says they will get to 200 wpc before clipping.  Dynamic is 400 wpc at 8 ohms.  I've never had mine past the 10 o'clock on the volume dial... 4 Heresy and 1 RC-7 are very happy.

The remote to me was a big deal as I use my 3 Luxman to run the 5.2 HT and one of them does the 2 channel service for audio.  In setting up the various inputs, having the control codes in a universal means the rest of the family doesn't have to know which input to use, which devices to turn on, etc.  And, they only use 1 volume control.

I've read articles where folks said they liked the sound of the R-115 better than the R-117.  I think an R-114, R-115 or of course R-117 would work fine.

I've only seen 2 Akai AM-2950 for sale in Canada.  One is currently on CAM, no affiliation.  They are rare.  I've actually offered to swap an R-117 for the AM-2950 but the seller wants $$$.  Too bad.  Best wishes.

• Like 1

Yes you may recall I was digging on the Akai and could hardly wait on your impression

of it's phono stage + wpc, looks.

The 114 I have has a decent sound with my TT.

Figure it holds true throughout the series. Had read watt ratings conservative. Most difficult load running at the moment are my Epic 1s. Have brought the 114 to soft clip, at respectable levels.

As for the 117, I could not recall wpc apparently.

All have preouts, which is neat also. Thanks!

• Like 1