Fuse recommendation

Klipschguy

One of the forum members recommended a fuse to protect the tweeters against an unexpected surge, such as accidentally unplugging an input cord with the volume up. Klipsch recommends a 1 amp fast blow fuse. Does anyone know what the recommended voltage rating would be? I found a fuse holder that looks like it should work well. 

2A9F7087-F48A-4150-AABB-7391FBB218C7.jpeg

DA2101F0-37DC-4A7A-ACAC-C62837293566.jpeg

My experience with fuses is 1 amp 250V is not sufficient for my listening on LaScala or Heresy, and I do not think I listen loudly at all.  Currently use 1.5 amps speaker and 2 amps tube fuses and seldom have a problem, only popped once when my new tubes were settling in, I've heard this is common as loose particles burn off within new tubes.

Fuses are available in 1, 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2 amps and onward, so very easy to find the sweet spot for your application.  Always best to have a number on hand, no one likes to have a listen cut short by loss of a fuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Edgar said:

25 Watts RMS AC is exactly equivalent to 25 Watts DC, in terms of average voltage, average current, amount that a voice coil heats-up, etc.

Empirically speaking, it seems like DC will fry a voice coil MUCH quicker than AC, but as a student of science and engineering (many years ago) what you are saying rings true. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Klipschguy said:

Empirically speaking, it seems like DC will fry a voice coil MUCH quicker than AC, but as a student of science and engineering (many years ago) what you are saying rings true. 

Don't forget that the DC resistance of a voice coil is generally lower than the AC impedance.

• Like 1

Ok, there was something else I thought I had read in a post on here from the past.

Something about cascading failures in a speaker or crossover possibly causing serious damage to the amp?

I know from personal experience all I have ever done is fried the tweeter, or had the amp’s protection shut it down.

But is there a risk to the amp if part of the equation is removed by an open circuit across the tweeter leg of the crossover?

2 minutes ago, Klipschguy said:

Yes, which did protect my tweeters from the 1.21 gigawatts they received during a scientific experiment.  

On a somewhat related topic, my house once took a 1.21 GW lightning strike. The only piece of stereo equipment that survived was the UPS / surge protector.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1