Fiber Optic Question

Coytee

Back story:  I live on a dead end road.  I am THE last house.  I am on Direct TV for....well....the tv.  I also have another satellite for my computer.  I think I pay for roughly 12G of data before they throttle my speed down.  No need for me to pay for more as the 12G is sufficient for my situation.

AT&T brought some fiber optic line down my road....came halfway down, turned uphill to a new "subdivision" (a location that went from two houses to four houses.  There are THREE houses here where I live at the end of the road.

I work remote from home several days per week.  Just got a new Laptop from work AND a new "puck" modem.  Something about the size of a cell phone and it uses Verizon for the signal.

Cutting to the chase, the Satellite I have for my computer must have a latency issue....I've tried to use it for my work PC and it is GRUELING to use.  Way too slow.  I tried it because my puck modem is supposed to provide me 2-3 G upload/download speeds.  I'm getting .11 upload speed which means it's BRUTAL to use, things time out before it finishes connecting and to be blunt, it's worthless to use at home.

I was informed I can use my (work) cell phone as a hotspot.  Trying it today..... SLOW as molassas.  Living rural has some benefits but speedy internet is NOT one of them.

So I'm throwing ideas on the wall.  One of them was (I have emailed my boss) telling him that the days I'm on the road having on-site meetings, great.  The days I am NOT on site with meetings, would be days I'm working from home but given these issues, I'm essentially out of business at home so I'll either work ON SITE or take the day OFF because it's just a waste of everyone's time to have to reboot twice per meeting to try to get it to work....  (not heard back from him yet, snicker)

Well, another idea I have is....the neighborhood down the road that now has fiber optic.....  only has four houses.  They probably have six or seven fiber optic terminals there.  I know the people that are developing it (and living there) have TWO fiber optic connections on their property because they kept a side lot for themselves.

Hmmmm....  so....  now I'm getting crafty.  What if I went to their idle fiber connection (with their blessings of course), connected or had AT&T connect to it and literally lay the line through the woods, directly to my house.  Get the fiber optic to my basement closet where all my stuff is....and go from there.

This is a terminal on their property that will never get used by them.  Is this idea even possible?  I know it's not like laying a 1/2 mile length of Cat-5/6 and I know it's not easily patched by someone like me, should some oaf drive their backhoe over it or shoot it with a cannon....

Still....I'm intrigued on would it work, what kind of cost might one expect, could "I" get it done or would I need AT&T to do it through the woods?  (closer to go through woods away from traffic than trenching down road and burying cable)

Ok, beat me up with your thoughts.  

• Like 2

Hello again, not sure what satellite service for internet but, has it been faster and then gotten slower? If answer is yes, would think your dish/pole/mount has gotten bumped.

Yes, if you had the cable splice and optic cable, you would likely find the optic cable not working anyway. Just a guess and AT&T likely would know.

Would call them once you decide. If you go that way just to ask. Likely they would like to sign up the remains 4 of you.

Just be sitting down if you call for price.

Older feedhorns that look at the dish with their modem, were sometimes compromised by wasps building t

heir nest in the horn blocking signal.

Would call sat network for more speed first. They may try to upgrade you but, stick to your hard line.

Your job may p a y for it.

Edited by billybob

My satellite speed is unencumbered.....UNTIL I hit my data-limit.  So I can use 12Gig in one day and I'm slow as molassas the rest of the month or I can piddle like I do and use MAYBE 10Gig over the month.  (I don't do any videos, streaming...  just stuff like this site & emails)

Nothing would be done at their box without their permission of course, AND the knowledge/permission, proper account status with AT&T.  I'm not trying to free ride anything.  I just see a port that is idle but, it's (let's say 1/4 mile) away, through the woods.  If it were in front of my house, I could connect to it.....so I'm wondering why can't I connect THERE (with proper permissions & account status) BUT the ugly part is.....with the cable laying through the woods.  I know that has issues....heck....I could probably trench a ditch to bury it through woods if need be (most of the distance anyway)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I would reach out to their internet provider that the new division is using and see if they can run cable and provide faster service.

Yes, they might bring the fiber optic all the way to your home office, if you sign up for a new account. Won't hurt to ask an account sales rep. 

• Like 1

You are going to need the full blessing of the ISP to get an ONT(optical network transceiver)  and an account opened.

The best bet would be to see if the ISP will run fiber down the road to your house.

Is the fiber aerial and run on existing poles until it gets to the neighborhood or is it buried?

If you were to use some sort of coupler and run the fiber to your place you would need to use fiber of the same type as the existing fiber unless it were a powered device of some sort.

You would definitely want some heavy duty direct burial rated cable if you were just going to leave it out laying around.

Again, the best case scenario is having the ISP run the fiber.

That way if a car runs off the road and manages to take it out or it gets damaged by natural force’s somehow, the ISP gets to foot the bill instead of you shelling out a couple grand for new cable or paying someone to come splice it for you.

The last couple times I’ve had someone run fiber outside of an ISP related install it’s been a little under $2,000 for around 200 feet between buildings and there were existing poles on the private property we could use to hang the cable.

Spectrum business was willing to eat around $30,000 in cost to run fiber to one of our offices in town if we signed a three year contract. They know they are playing the long game and will eventually have more business customers in the area. We ended up backing out of that offer since upper management wasn’t sure if we would still have the program that operates out of that leased office in three years.

Anyway, I hope you can get something worked out as trying to work with bad internet is no fun at all.

• Like 1

Who is your cell phone provider?

We already have att, and the last time the wife got a new phone, we got gigabit fiber to our house for $70 month. Of course they already had fiber in the neighberbood. When they came out it wasn't 45 minutes later it was done and we were switched over from Comcast.

We get over 900mb up and down.

Josh has given the best background info. How far on to your house following the road? ATT wouldn't want to go through the woods. I would contact them and bug them for answers.

I assume it's not line of sight...

Att and spec um fought hard and won to keep google fiber two freggin blocks from me at my old place.

When I got the Gb internet from att without their awful tv package it was just under $100 a month back from 2018 until 2021. While not a true Gb internet there wasn't any noticeable latency with 40Gb emails and the like. Wifi to the tv, stereo, thermostat and two phones went very well.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Any word on an extension to your house?

Not really but I know more of the story.

1.  Dead end road, I'm the LAST house about 3/4 mile down

2.  15 years ago) someone came in and built a 12K sq/ft house "midway" down the road BUT also put roads in the 40 acres they owned to sell lots.  Consequently, we now have a "Development" out here although it was their single house for 13 years.

3.  The wife (his) called ATT about fiber, nagged at them....they finally said they'd bring it "to their development".  She (said) she asked about everyone else and was told "nope, it will come to you since you are a new development and we can bury the cable to the respective lots"

4.  This was done....and everything I've tried to do has only given me a chorus of crickets in response.

5.  1 1/2, 2 years ago, a new house was built.  This new house was built between the beginning of the road and the development.  So the new house literally, has fiber optic right in front of her door.

6.  She's been asking them about it and she's been told NO, she can't have it.  Evidently she went so far as to call the FCC to complain.  ATT came back and put (don't know what it's called) but a small 'connection box' in her front yard BUT STILL REFUSES to connect her.

So I don't know what corn cob ATT has inserted into themselves but they are displaying the logic of how can we NOT service customers and NOT create more customers for ourselves.

Call me perplexed at their attitude.

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

my impression is that AT&T does not own the Fiber optic in the development , the owner of the land does , 

he sub-contracted AT&T to lay down the fiber  at his own cost  ,   the fiber optic is Private  , and AT&T cant provide you internet service  

5 hours ago, Coytee said:

Not really but I know more of the story.

5.  1 1/2, 2 years ago, a new house was built.  This new house was built between the beginning of the road and the development.  So the new house literally, has fiber optic right in front of her door.

6.  She's been asking them about it and she's been told NO, she can't have it.  Evidently she went so far as to call the FCC to complain.  ATT came back and put (don't know what it's called) but a small 'connection box' in her front yard BUT STILL REFUSES to connect her.

So I don't know what corn cob ATT has inserted into themselves but they are displaying the logic of how can we NOT service customers and NOT create more customers for ourselves.

It appears that your chances for an easy add on connection are slim.