DBX Anyone ?

Racer  X

38 minutes ago, babadono said:

@Edgar this might be kinda fun to try out:

https://ozrobotics.com/shop/tsa1701-audio-dsp-board/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxoP5i7qw-QIVj8LCBB16_AIxEAYYBSABEgK2DvD_BwE

Probably not super duper fidelity but proof of concept.

Interesting. Supports ADI SigmaStudio IDE, which I have never used but at least manufacturers are starting to realize that there are people out here who know how to program.

I wish that the folks at MiniDSP would offer a SDK. Now that would be interesting.

Just now, babadono said:

Taking at slight glance at Sigma Studio...there are no expanders!? Compressors, limiters galore.

If you can build a compressor, you can build an expander. A bit of oversimplification, but you just increase gain instead of decreasing it. The structure that determines input signal level, and the attack and release mechanisms, are nearly the same.

Just now, babadono said:

For sure? Then this would definitely be fun!

Pretty much. With a compressor you generally only reduce gain above some threshold. With a noise gate you reduce (or eliminate) gain below some other threshold. With an expander, you generally increase gain above a threshold and decrease gain below that same threshold. In programming, this is easy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/5/2022 at 4:59 AM, Frzninvt said:

I have owned and used them all up to the DBX 14/10 14-Band 2/3 Octave Computer Equalizer Analyzer and the rare DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Computer Controlled Dynamic Controller.  I feel the DBX 3BX-DS is the smoothest expander of them all.  The 3BX-III is more edgy and geared more towards tape and vinyl where the 3BX-DS is ideal for digital sources.  The best set up is to dedicate a 3BX-DS to each channel combining the inputs and outputs on each unit with "Y" adapters since the DBX units use mono triggered VCA's this works very well.  A cheaper alternative and equally nice sounding is the Pioneer EX-9000 Dynamic Expander.  Pioneer actually got it right as they use stereo triggered VCA's and the three bands are independently adjustable.  I have manuals and service manuals in digital form for almost the entire line up.  Unfortunately the Series Two unit is the least desired model.

PDR_1164.JPG

the very 1st time i heard a dbx 3bx (original discreet iteration; retailed for $800), it was in a store in maryland in the early/mid 1980's, and the speakers in the system were klipschorns.  i think the guy demo'ing the system had it turned up to 11. 😁 there was a definite difference with and w/o the 3bx in the system, but honestly, i wasn't sure the k'horns needed it.  i knew someday, tho, i'd own a 3bx, if not the k-horns.  i don't think i've ever lived in a place where k'horns could be properly set up.  tho i understand there's a new k-horn that doesn't need to be corner loaded...

anyway, my present system looks something like this (note the modded lascala bass-bin - beefed up cabinet and upgraded fostex pro-audio 15" driver inside - obligatory klipsch content! 😁):
image.png.225c30ea96ae7b275a9e2a4086890cc1.png

and, i have a question, having to do with my vintage discrete dbx 3bx that's been refurb'd and upgraded, and includes a wired remote w/impact restoration (that rarely gets used).  how does the 3bx compare, in your opinion, to the pioneer ex-9000?  i've always been curious about those.

thanks,

doug s.

Edited by doug s.
more klipsch stuff!

I did own an original DBX 3BX and never did have a chance to compare it directly to the Pioneer EX-9000.  From my understanding the DBX units use a mono triggered VCA whereas the Pioneer unit has stereo triggered VCA's which some people think was the correct way to do it.  The Pioneer also has independently adjustable bands for HF, MF, LF which the DBX does not have.  It also has two processing curves hard and soft that the DBX does not have.  The Pioneer can usually be had cheap enough to experiment with.  For some reason the DBX processors have skyrocketed in price in past couple of years perhaps due to the resurgence of vinyl.

I have compared the Pioneer EX 9000 to the last iteration of the DBX 3BX the 3BX-DS and found that I definately preferred the DBX unit.  The 3BX-DS is far more flexible than the original 3BX as it can compress, expand, and has three active bands of impact restoration.  Additionally it has an ambience function that can add or subtract from the L or R channel that can come in handy on some recordings.  The compression feature has become more useful since most recent recordings are way oversaturated allowing the user to tame that some.  The 3BX-DS also performs as a noise gate.  If you use mostly analog sources like a reel to reel or turntable I would recommend the more aggressive processing offered in the 3BX-III expander.

The flagship DBX 5BX-DS is a 5-band computer controlled unit with 5 independent bands of impact restoration but this unit is really a compressor and not an upward expander like the 3BX-DS.  The only upward expansion comes from the impact restoration circuits.  

I have access to user manuals and cut sheets for these units if you feel like doing any reading.  A killer array is to purchase a DBX 400XG Program Route Selector and use a DBX 3BX-DS, 120X-DS, and lastly the DBX 14/10 14 band 2/3 octave computer controlled equalizer.  Going this route allows you to pick and choose what processor you want active or none at all.  It even have a special loop for a 224X-DS Type II Noise Reduction unit.

DBX 3BX-DS.jpg

On 8/5/2022 at 3:34 PM, Edgar said:

I don't know of any. For my system, I use a NUC Windows PC connected to a Steinberg UR824 ADC/DAC, DSP functions programmed under ASIO.

If you are using an interface with software that allows plugins, there are several expander plugins on the market. Flux has a couple, but I think they are subscription only (I hate subscription based software), FabFilter has on for $169 which I believe is a one time purchase. I've come across some free ones as well.

11 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I did own an original DBX 3BX and never did have a chance to compare it directly to the Pioneer EX-9000.  From my understanding the DBX units use a mono triggered VCA whereas the Pioneer unit has stereo triggered VCA's which some people think was the correct way to do it.  The Pioneer also has independently adjustable bands for HF, MF, LF which the DBX does not have.  It also has two processing curves hard and soft that the DBX does not have.  The Pioneer can usually be had cheap enough to experiment with.  For some reason the DBX processors have skyrocketed in price in past couple of years perhaps due to the resurgence of vinyl.

I have compared the Pioneer EX 9000 to the last iteration of the DBX 3BX the 3BX-DS and found that I definately preferred the DBX unit.  The 3BX-DS is far more flexible than the original 3BX as it can compress, expand, and has three active bands of impact restoration.  Additionally it has an ambience function that can add or subtract from the L or R channel that can come in handy on some recordings.  The compression feature has become more useful since most recent recordings are way oversaturated allowing the user to tame that some.  The 3BX-DS also performs as a noise gate.  If you use mostly analog sources like a reel to reel or turntable I would recommend the more aggressive processing offered in the 3BX-III expander.

The flagship DBX 5BX-DS is a 5-band computer controlled unit with 5 independent bands of impact restoration but this unit is really a compressor and not an upward expander like the 3BX-DS.  The only upward expansion comes from the impact restoration circuits.  

I have access to user manuals and cut sheets for these units if you feel like doing any reading.  A killer array is to purchase a DBX 400XG Program Route Selector and use a DBX 3BX-DS, 120X-DS, and lastly the DBX 14/10 14 band 2/3 octave computer controlled equalizer.  Going this route allows you to pick and choose what processor you want active or none at all.  It even have a special loop for a 224X-DS Type II Noise Reduction unit.

DBX 3BX-DS.jpg

thanks for the reply.  i really like my original 3bx; and its remote adds features , but i've honestly not found them that beneficial.  

besides nice features on the 3bxds, (the pioneer also seems to have nice features), what about sound quality?  that's my main interest.

i really like those 14/10's, but the pricing on them has dampened my enthusiasm.  and, i've found that with an active x-over and a 12 band spectrum analyzer, i'm able to dial in my system pretty flat, w/o even using the eq at all, except for dialing in the system.  the unit is the technics sh8055.  i also have a deqx dsp x-over/processor, but i'm not using it presently; it's really as pita to set up...

thanks again,

doug s.

The Pioneer EX-9000's sound quality is on par with the DBX 3BX I still have one that I use in conjunction with a BBE 1002 Sonic Maximizer.  You can always get the DBX 2015G which is a 2/3 octave equalizer lots of adjusability with no fancy display.  DBX also made the 10/5, 10/20, and 20/20, and lastly the pro version 510 computer equalizers.  I remember the 8055 I had a silver one, then later on the 8066 that had a sensor grid to adjust the settings that took some getting used to.

The DBX DX5 CD player has a 1BX-DS built into it and provides lots of adjustment depending on how well or not so well the recording was done.

My 14/10 and 5BX-DS below lots of adjusability between the two units.

PDR_1164.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The Pioneer EX-9000's sound quality is on par with the DBX 3BX I still have one that I use in conjunction with a BBE 1002 Sonic Maximizer.  You can always get the DBX 2015G which is a 2/3 octave equalizer lots of adjusability with no fancy display.  DBX also made the 10/5, 10/20, and 20/20, and lastly the pro version 510 computer equalizers.  I remember the 8055 I had a silver one, then later on the 8065 that had a sensor grid to adjust the settings that took some getting used to.

The DBX DX5 CD player has a 1BX-DS built into it and provides lots of adjustment depending on how well or not so well the recording was done.

My 14/10 and 5BX-DS below lots of adjusability between the two units.

PDR_1164.JPG

thanks for the reply "on par" is ok, but i was looking for "better".  😉

re: eq's, i was not familiar w/the 5/10, only the 10/20 & the 20/20, as well as the 14/10. the 14/10 is the one i'd be interested in because of its 14 bands, and pink noise generator/spectrum analyzer. 

for an upgrade to my 3bx, i think i should just wait for a good deal on a 4bx; i was interested in the 5bx, but after extensive reading about it a few years ago, i decided i wasn't interested in a unit that wasn't really a full expander, but more of a compressor.  if i were to find a good deal on a 4bx and a 14/10, then i might also be looking for a 400xg.  😁

thanks again,

doug s.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 4:39 AM, Edgar said:

Do you know of a general purpose DSP "engine" that is fully programmable? It might not be a difficult programming job to emulate the DBX functions.

Edgar, over in the CamillaDSP thread on diyAudio I suggested that a new filter to perform Dynamic range control, kind of a software version of a dbx Model 3BX would be useful. Henrik seems interested, you might like to put your 2 cents worth in.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/camilladsp-cross-platform-iir-and-fir-engine-for-crossovers-room-correction-etc.349818/post-7265951