DBX Anyone ?

38 minutes ago, babadono said:

@Edgar this might be kinda fun to try out:

https://ozrobotics.com/shop/tsa1701-audio-dsp-board/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxoP5i7qw-QIVj8LCBB16_AIxEAYYBSABEgK2DvD_BwE

Probably not super duper fidelity but proof of concept.

Interesting. Supports ADI SigmaStudio IDE, which I have never used but at least manufacturers are starting to realize that there are people out here who know how to program.

I wish that the folks at MiniDSP would offer a SDK. Now that would be interesting.

Just now, babadono said:

Taking at slight glance at Sigma Studio...there are no expanders!? Compressors, limiters galore.

If you can build a compressor, you can build an expander. A bit of oversimplification, but you just increase gain instead of decreasing it. The structure that determines input signal level, and the attack and release mechanisms, are nearly the same.

Just now, babadono said:

For sure? Then this would definitely be fun!

Pretty much. With a compressor you generally only reduce gain above some threshold. With a noise gate you reduce (or eliminate) gain below some other threshold. With an expander, you generally increase gain above a threshold and decrease gain below that same threshold. In programming, this is easy.

Oddly, I demoed one of those back in the day:  Was not well impressed, so I traded it back for a Technics SH-8065 third octave graphic equalizer, 33 bands, had some fun with that until it became a little onerous. 

• Like 1