Closest to Heritage sound speakers...?

If this is not the topic area YOU can direct me to another...

I am wondering what (if any) of the newer, modern Klipsch floor standing speakers are close to or even surpass the typical Klipsch Heritage sound. 

Do any of the Reference towers sound anything like the classic Klipsch?  You realize it is difficult now days to hear systems side by side.  So most of the time you don't know until you get the speakers home.  And, even if the store has a good return policy, it is quite cumbersome to go thru the reboxing and shipping--then waiting for a refund.  

So while no method is perfect, it's much better to at least start toward the better end.

Thanks for ALL OPINIONS.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForeverSystem said:

I am wondering what (if any) of the newer, modern Klipsch floor standing speakers are close to or even surpass the typical Klipsch Heritage sound. 

Do any of the Reference towers sound anything like the classic Klipsch? Thanks for ALL OPINIONS.  

Which speakers are you wanting them to sound like even the Heritage speakers all sound different from each other and changed / evolved through the years.  

• Like 1

The Heritage sound can be attributed to a 3-way speaker with horn loaded mid-range and tweeter. The horn not only spells "efficiency", it voices differently than a cone or dome driver.

So the closest you're going to get is any Klipsch floorstander as although they are all 2-way designs, they use a horn loaded tweeter.

I do agree with Racer X-If you want the Heritage sound but presumably can't afford them, go the used route. I did and I'm completely satisfied.

Or is there another reason you're looking outside the Heritage family?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Which speakers are you wanting them to sound like even the Heritage speakers all sound different from each other and changed / evolved through the years.  

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME!!!

I'm looking at the Reference line.  The 5000, 6000, 8000.  Even the ones with Atmos builtin or easy attachment.  I of corse realize the sound will not be the same, but do any of these have the Klipsch signature?  Just wondering how much of a "horn" sound I can expect.  

I have a Luxman 590AX receiver.  It Is Beautiful.  Looks and sounding.  Right now it's running Focal 1028Be.  Nice, but I'm looking at Klipsch because of more sensitivity---to be able to listen late at night at a lower volume.  Plus I've always liked that sound.

Thanks!

• Like 1

From my experience, the most recent generations of all Klipsch speakers have a smoother and more laid back sound signature than previous generations.  If you want the Heritage sound, you'll have to go with Heritage.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

From my experience, the most recent generations of all Klipsch speakers have a smoother and more laid back sound signature than previous generations.  If you want the Heritage sound, you'll have to go with Heritage.  

Yep,  Wuzzzer I think you may have hit it on the head.  THAT'S what I was speaking/thinking of.  So if newer generation is more laid back then I guess you'd have to characterize the Heritage line as much more forward?  I'm just going on distant memory.  I haven't heard them in quite a while.  Years in fact.  But I think if I can possibly get a pair of Corwalls or Forte's in my living room I'm going to. 

I'm concerned about listener fatigue. 

I just didn't want to go on a wild goose chase. 

It's such a trial and error mission.  😞 

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

Are you within a reasonable distance of a Klipsch Heritage Dealer? If you're going on distant memory refreshing your memory may be a good idea.

Or maybe he's close enough to a forum member who would be willing to demo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ForeverSystem said:

So while no method is perfect, it's much better to at least start toward the better end.

Thanks for ALL OPINIONS.  

How about FACTS from Paul Klipsch himself: "The optimum size for a speaker is a Klipschorn."

All others, including Heresy (best selling), Cornwall, Belle, and LaScala are compromises with higher DISTORTION! Or in the case of Belle and LaScala, similar distortion with truncated low bass response. I have owned all the Heritage and most of the Pro Stuff.

Basically, you are asking: "Is it possible for something different to sound the same." The answer is NO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ForeverSystem said:

I guess you'd have to characterize the Heritage line as much more forward? I think if I can possibly get a pair of Corwalls or Forte's in my living room I'm going to. 

I'm concerned about listener fatigue. 

It's all going to come down to room acoustics and system / equipment synergy plus how loud you listen there are actually quite a few variables only real way to know for sure is start trying things out see what works pick a pair of speakers that work for your room size wise and you may have to cycle through some gear to get a good match. 

Are you building a surround sound system or 2 channel? Do you have a Receiver or stereo equipment already? How big is your room?

OP,

9 hours ago, ForeverSystem said:

But I think if I can possibly get a pair of Corwalls or Forte's in my living room I'm going to. 

You were asked if new or used?

There are newer Heritage models for the Cornwall and the forte, as well as the others.

Welcome!

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to start with a pair of forte II.  Can be had on used market depending on condition from $750.00-$1,200.00  INMHO, one of the best "all around" speakers in the Heritage line.  No sub really required, and if you are not satisfied you can always sell for what you paid for.  No speaker does everything perfect.  There is a reason that the forte line is Klipsch's top selling line.  When you factor in foot print, WAF, etc.  I bought mine in 1992, and have never felt a need to upgrade.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ForeverSystem said:

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME!!!

I'm looking at the Reference line.  The 5000, 6000, 8000.  Even the ones with Atmos builtin or easy attachment.  I of corse realize the sound will not be the same, but do any of these have the Klipsch signature?  Just wondering how much of a "horn" sound I can expect.  

I have a Luxman 590AX receiver.  It Is Beautiful.  Looks and sounding.  Right now it's running Focal 1028Be.  Nice, but I'm looking at Klipsch because of more sensitivity---to be able to listen late at night at a lower volume.  Plus I've always liked that sound.

Thanks!

Nice integrated amp, I have the 20 wpc version.  To all else here making recommendation, he has a 30 wpc class A amp, but it is a very beefy 30 wpc.

Look at the new Forte IV.   Should match very well. 

• Like 2

Thank You!!  To All who replied.

Yes, I have the 590AX and it's rated at 30wpc.  Actually seems more than sufficient for power.  But---I think it's working too hard. 

I fully expected it to get hot after a long time. But it will also shut down after about an hour and a half. The volume knob is at the eleven o'clock position.  If I can get the sound correct I think the amp will probably last a long time.

The impedance and sensitivity of the Focal 1028Be lead me to believe the amp is working too hard especially at higher sound levels.  I'm not trying to run a rock concert or something crazy.  But at the medium high level I feel it's not doing it as effortlessly as it could be I'm looking at speakers in the Heritage line that approach and sometimes pass 100db for sensitivity. The Focal's are sweet, but I've heard more dynamic sound in other speakers.  

And I will look at the Forte IV...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

It's all going to come down to room acoustics and system / equipment synergy plus how loud you listen there are actually quite a few variables only real way to know for sure is start trying things out see what works pick a pair of speakers that work for your room size wise and you may have to cycle through some gear to get a good match. 

Are you building a surround sound system or 2 channel? Do you have a Receiver or stereo equipment already? How big is your room?

I finally figured it out on the "system" side of things.  So to answer the question:  I'm running 2 systems.  I have a surround for movies/tv/sports etc. and a 2 channel (with sub) for music.     

The surround is very good for it's size/cost.  A medium/entry level Marantz AV receiver, Buchardt S400 front, JBL center, and wireless Audioengine speakers for rear.  I use a Sony 4K Blue Ray player for movies and occasional quick music track.  .  More than good.  

The music is on a completely different track: the Luxman 590AX, Focal 1028Be, Oppo 93 DVD/CD player, Blue Note streamer, Nakamichi Dragon cassette player.   

Nothing in the line would be considered weak, but I think the Focal's are putting a strain on the integrated amp.  So, I'll start my "hunting."

40 minutes ago, ForeverSystem said:

Thank You!!  To All who replied.

Yes, I have the 590AX and it's rated at 30wpc.  Actually seems more than sufficient for power.  But---I think it's working too hard. 

I fully expected it to get hot after a long time. But it will also shut down after about an hour and a half. The volume knob is at the eleven o'clock position.  If I can get the sound correct I think the amp will probably last a long time.

The impedance and sensitivity of the Focal 1028Be lead me to believe the amp is working too hard especially at higher sound levels.  I'm not trying to run a rock concert or something crazy.  But at the medium high level I feel it's not doing it as effortlessly as it could be I'm looking at speakers in the Heritage line that approach and sometimes pass 100db for sensitivity. The Focal's are sweet, but I've heard more dynamic sound in other speakers.  

And I will look at the Forte IV...

The Focals look nice.  I cannot find a sensitivity, but they are 4 ohms and might be a difficult load.  You will likely pick up about 10 db of efficiency with the Fortes, meaning using only a watt or so. 

I have barely used my Luxman, but it does run cool or warm.  Not bad for Class A which will generate a lot of heat even if only driving a small load.