Jump to content

Closest to Heritage sound speakers...?


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

 

The Focals look nice.  I cannot find a sensitivity

 

 Specs I found claimed 91.5db at 1 watt

 

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/fp_1028_be_gb_0.pdf

 

Type 3-way vented floor standing speaker, Powerflow Drivers Two 61/2" (16.5cm) 'W' woofers 61/2" (16.5cm) 'W' midrange 11/4" (27mm) pure Beryllium IAL inverted dome tweeter

 

Frequency response (+/-3dB) 34Hz - 40kHz Low frequency point (-6dB) 28Hz

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91.5dB Nominal impedance 8Ω Minimum impedance 3.5Ω

Crossover frequency 350Hz / 2,200Hz Recommended amplifier power 40 - 300W

Dimensions (HxWxD) 4311/16x103/8x133/4" (1,110x264x350mm) Net weight 72.6lbs (33kg)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As you can see most of us on the forum are partial to the heritage line , including myself. A few years back I bought a pair of RP 280f and compared them with my Heresy II ‘s over a period of time , and I thought they compared pretty favorably to the Heresy , RP had lower bass response , more detailed high’s, similar sensitivity ,a  darn good sounding speaker , Eventually I concluded that I preferred the warmer smoother sound of the Heresy , and that they just sounded  a bit more satisfying to my ear , but Undoubtedly others would disagree and prefer the RP . On the other hand the larger Heritage Lascala and Khorn ,which I had  in a different room ,  clearly provided a different presentation altogether, bigger scale, dynamics,whatever,  the RP’s don’t live in the same world as those . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

 

 Specs I found claimed 91.5db at 1 watt

 

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/fp_1028_be_gb_0.pdf

 

Type 3-way vented floor standing speaker, Powerflow Drivers Two 61/2" (16.5cm) 'W' woofers 61/2" (16.5cm) 'W' midrange 11/4" (27mm) pure Beryllium IAL inverted dome tweeter

 

Frequency response (+/-3dB) 34Hz - 40kHz Low frequency point (-6dB) 28Hz

Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91.5dB Nominal impedance 8Ω Minimum impedance 3.5Ω

Crossover frequency 350Hz / 2,200Hz Recommended amplifier power 40 - 300W

Dimensions (HxWxD) 4311/16x103/8x133/4" (1,110x264x350mm) Net weight 72.6lbs (33kg)

 

Drops to 3.5 ohms, if that has a big phase angle it can be difficult. 

 

Forte IV are '8 ohm compatible' - not sure what that means. 

 

Do the Forte IVs need a beefy amp to wake up the bass like a Chorus II or can a Forte live with a lower powered amp?  Looks like they use relatively big amps in the stereophonic review. 

 

To the OP, you can also use your pre outs from the Luxman and Y connectors into an outboard amp with volume pots for the bass driver and back into the Luxman for the high frequencies in Class A if your Focals can be bi amped.  You have to have gain controls on the amp to tune this in though.  A QSC PLX is a nice option with a fan swap. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like the Forte IV can be bi amped if you like:

 

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/Forte-IV-Spec-Sheet-v01-1.pdf

 

But your '30 wpc' amp really is closer to 80 or 100 wpc so you should have plenty of juice.  I think that Luxman does not advertise it but the amp goes into class b after 30 wpc and goes much higher in wattage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, billybob said:

Doesn't really matter but, new or used Klipsch?

Yes it DOES matter.  I am not against used.  If you are dealing with a seller who seems reliable and trustworthy then used can be a really good way to go.  But there is a lot that goes into the previous sentence.  I'm in the Las Vegas area.  First I'm going to have to find a dealer where I can demo some Heritage line.  Have not found such dealer in this immediate area, but if I have to take a trip to the LA area then maybe this fall I will.  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 9:16 PM, ForeverSystem said:

Yes it DOES matter.  I am not against used.  If you are dealing with a seller who seems reliable and trustworthy then used can be a really good way to go.  But there is a lot that goes into the previous sentence.  I'm in the Las Vegas area.  First I'm going to have to find a dealer where I can demo some Heritage line.  Have not found such dealer in this immediate area, but if I have to take a trip to the LA area then maybe this fall I will.  

 

 

 

FWIW, I bought my Luxman just because I have various heritage speakers.  I knew I would need it sooner or later and it seemed to be a perfect match of some low power Class A amplification.

 

So if you are in LV, nice walnut pair of Forte I for sale at a very nice price.  A very light sanding and rub on some oil (assuming they are oil finish) and these will look like new. The passives are not pushed in that badly and can be usually be made to look like new with a vacuum cleaner and 79 cents worth of paint from Michaels.  I just did a pair last year. 

 

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/las-vegas-speakers-klipsch-forte-horn/7514881358.html

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

So if you are in LV, nice walnut pair of Forte I for sale at a very nice price.  A very light sanding and rub on some oil (assuming they are oil finish) and these will look like new. The passives are not pushed in that badly and can be usually be made to look like new with a vacuum cleaner and 79 cents worth of paint from Michaels.  I just did a pair last year. https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/las-vegas-speakers-klipsch-forte-horn/7514881358.html

 

 Top left cabinet edge is separating either they've been dropped or damaged in shipping or seen a lot of moisture also looks like the passive dust caps have been pretty butchered already in attempts to pull them out, not a big deal but for the price I'd expect better condition IMO.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

 

 Top left cabinet edge is separating either they've been dropped or damaged in shipping or seen a lot of moisture also looks like the passive dust caps have been pretty butchered already in attempts to pull them out, not a big deal but for the price I'd expect better condition IMO.  

 

One passive looks like one that I fixed recently.  Wet it a little then use a cloth and vacuum to pop out.  Then painted it and it looks like new.  Looks like someone tried to fix the other and messed it up.  Best to just buy some new dust caps, remove the old and glue in new ones. 

 

I did see the veneer but could not tell if it is raised or just a bad pic. If raised and cannot be glued this is a problem.  I agree.

 

If not raised, I would lightly sand with some 220 on an orbital and out on three coats of polyurethane.  They would look beautiful. 

 

They need some badges too. 

 

On the plus side, they are walnut and if someone has some minor skills and can get the price down a little more they can be very nice with very little effort.  I restored some Forte IIs and would not sell at twice the price...but they are not for sale. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re: The separation.

 

Of course, looking at the photos none of us can be sure whether it's just the veneer or the MDF panel.

 

If it's the MDF, I'm here to report they can be fixed as I just did it for the second time (a different panel this time) on my Heresies bought used.

 

I posted my method somewhere in the history of this forum but to recap:

 

Put painter's tape along the edge of one separating panel. Scribe a line on the tape with a pencil 1/2 the width of the cabinet thickness. I measured 11/16" adjacent to the grill which I assumed was likely the panel thickness, so I set a combination square at 11/32 and used it to guide my scribe line.

 

I closed the gap by hand and drilled 4 equidistant holes smaller than a four penny finishing nail. I used 1 1/2" nails. I hammered the nails in using a nail set to countersink the heads just below the surface. Applied a little Minwax Blend-Fil pencil in the indents and smoothed them with a finger for a solid, invisible repair.

 

Pics available if you want 'em!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Re: The separation. Of course, looking at the photos none of us can be sure whether it's just the veneer or the MDF panel. If it's the MDF, I'm here to report they can be fixed

 

 I'm 100% certain they can be fixed my point was $700 for original forte's I'd expect them to be in a little better shape is all. Missing badges, crunched dust caps, water stains and cabinet separation I'm not sure I'd pay half his asking price. I know prices are up right now but deals do still come along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 1:58 PM, ForeverSystem said:

I finally figured it out on the "system" side of things

OK; "finally figured it out" also. Guess you are keeping your "surround" system as is and looking at Heritage speakers for your 2-channel set-up.

 

Do not get "too impressed" by the Heritage sound. :) Yes; they are very good (and have many fans on this forum), but there are many alternatives. For example, I just changed my 5.1 surround from Heresy's L/R/C and Cornwall rears to a simpler RC-7 (L/R) with RB-75's in the rear. Actually think it sounds better (for surround sound). And yes, while Heresy's sound good, I do not think they are even close to my CF-3's (in another room). Added note; have never been impressed with Forte's - had some and tried adding K510 and JBL horns to them; result was that the Forte's just sounded "anemic." :( 

 

So, for your 2-channel stereo I suggest going "pro."  Like LS Industrials (OK; they are Heritage), or KPT-904's, or JBL (like the 4722 setup that @Westcoastdrums has for sale), or JBL M2's (great speaker, but WAY overpriced). Or, look at CF3/4's. FYI, have KPT-904's with a JBL HF 4722 section (replaced the K510 horns) and they will blow away any Heritage speaker. :) 

 

Good luck in your search.

 

Cheers, Emile

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; "finally figured it out" also. Guess you are keeping your "surround" system as is and looking at Heritage speakers for you 2-channel set-up.

 

Do not get "too impressed" by the Heritage sound. :) Yes; they are very good (and have many fans on this forum), but there are many alternatives. For example, I just changed my 5.1 surround from Heresy's L/R/C and Cornwall rears to a simpler RC-7 (L/R) with RB-75's in the rear. Actually think it sounds better (for surround sound). And yes, while Heresy's sound good, I do not think they are even close to my CF-3's (in another room). Added note; have never been impressed with Forte's - had some and tried adding K510 and JBL horns to them; result was that the Forte's just sounded "anemic." :( 

 

So, for your 2-channel stereo I suggest going "pro."  Like LS Industrials (OK; they are Heritage), or KPT-904's, or JBL (like the 4722 setup that @Westcoastdrums has for sale), or JBL M2's (great speaker, but WAY overpriced). Or, look at CF3/4's. FYI, have KPT-904's with a JBL HF 4722 section (replaced the K510 horns) and they will blow away any Heritage speaker. :) 

 

Good luck in your search.

 

Cheers, Emile

 

17 hours ago, billybob said:

Klipsch Jubilee...

 

 

And here we go...someone wants to buy some 'big Fortes' and you recommend pro speakers, on a 30 wpc amp too.  Some people, not us, but some people think that speakers as big as a refrigerator are not domestically friendly.  Crazy but let's humor them...

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...