Little Sweetie Forum amplifier project

henry4841

A few years ago I built a number of blanket chest with uniform cut dovetails for family. After finishing all of them they appear to be just dovetails cut with a jig. Some call this case like the amp homemade. I prefer custom built. Does sound better does it not?

I once asked a musician the difference between a violin and a fiddle. The answer he gave was the price.  

I have not applied any oil to the inside yet being I need to install some runners with glue to hold the chassis. Inside will be oiled as well. You cannot stain cherry. Dye perhaps but with a natural finish oiled it is easy to make repairs down the road. Just sand out problem area and reapply oil. I have had this cherry for a number of years so I know it is stable. The chassis is 3" deep and I am going to install it 1" inside the wood case. Should look nice. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

You could set up the 6SJ7 for minimum gain to allow use of your preamp and minimize driver distortion if desired.

Maynard

I try and pair the input tube with the same type of output tube, so I can cancel some of the distortion "naturally". It has worked well for me so far and yielded good sonic results when no global feedback is desired. 

The runners that I installed to hold the Bud chassis are solid mahogany strips. The reason, because that is what I found as scrap in my shop from a mahogany build done over 20 years ago. Same reason for Linseed oil for the oil finish, it is what I have. 

I believe I have everything to start on the build. If enough are interested in what is involved I can post pictures and description of the build. If not I will just post pictures when completed. I think I am going to use a perf board to install the PS section on instead of terminal strips. That is if I have enough room to install a board. To me it looks much nicer than to have wires crisscrossing everywhere. It will still be point to point wiring but without being seen. Much like my tube preamp I posted pictures of. Of course the wires attached to the tube sockets will be seen. This is still a point to point build instead of a pcb board one. I prefer hard wired, not that there is anything wrong with a pcb build. Old school I guess. 

P1030970.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

The runners that I installed to hold the Bud chassis are solid mahogany strips. The reason, because that is what I found as scrap in my shop from a mahogany build done over 20 years ago. Same reason for Linseed oil for the oil finish, it is what I have. 

I believe I have everything to start on the build. If enough are interested in what is involved I can post pictures and description of the build. If not I will just post pictures when completed. I think I am going to use a perf board to install the PS section on instead of terminal strips. That is if I have enough room to install a board. To me it looks much nicer than to have wires crisscrossing everywhere. It will still be point to point wiring but without being seen. Much like my tube preamp I posted pictures of. Of course the wires attached to the tube sockets will be seen. This is still a point to point build instead of a pcb board one. I prefer hard wired, not that there is anything wrong with a pcb build. Old school I guess. 

P1030970.JPG

Absolutely post pix of the build as you proceed. Not enough of that. I like it at least. 

• Like 2

Another vote for posting pictures. I also feel like this thread should either be pinned here, or moved to the tube forum and amps listed in garage sale as you build them. I'm enjoying this thread, but I don't think garage sale is the right place for a  multi-page follow along build thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

Another vote for posting pictures. I also feel like this thread should either be pinned here, or moved to the tube forum and amps listed in garage sale as you build them. I'm enjoying this thread, but I don't think garage sale is the right place for a  multi-page follow along build thread.

I really do not know where this thread should belong. I felt like since it is going to be for sale, first one I have ever sold, I would put it in the Garage section not to step on any toes. 

• Like 1

Those big blue resistors are 270/W ohm ones in series. I thought I had a 560/3W one but did not. My personal Sweetie is running 45ma on the output tubes  with a 560 ohm resistor and Maynard's design calls for 50ma so 2 270 ohms in series will = 540 ohms that will be closer to the 50ma target. 

56 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

I really do not know where this thread should belong. I felt like since it is going to be for sale, first one I have ever sold, I would put it in the Garage section not to step on any toes. 

I have found out in life, that if you don't step on toes, you don't know where you stand.