Little Sweetie Forum amplifier project

henry4841

5 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Fascinating, greatly encouraged to try an amp build, this whole process is just beyond amazing.

Racer you could do it. I love the visual presentation. We as humans are visual (and auditory) by nature. So much is tied to vision with regards to learning rather than listening and learning. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Because you are a software guy messing with hardware? Sorry, could not resist. Just a poke, not personal. 

lol it made me laugh.  Though I specialize in bare-metal coding, I do have 30 years of combined hardware and firmware design and build.  I still make mistakes and at this stage in my life, I learn every single day and realize now that there is far more that I don't know than what I do.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

The reason is that the bolt and case will form a single winding on the transformer all by themselves, and you'll pull your hair out trying to find out why the fuse keeps popping when you have the lid on but runs fine with the lid off.

There are places where nylon bolts really make a difference.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Since Henry mentioned Deckert’s Zen Triode, prospective builders of their first tube amp may enjoy watching Deckert actually build one.  Be sure to watch all 12 videos.  Seeing a point to point build in real time gives a somewhat different perspective from seeing still photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ENOdYN6iA

Henry, if you think this will dilute the thread, I will delete it.  Let me know.

Maynard

No, any info about tube amp building is welcome. I saw this this morning and it is a wonderful build. 

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

lol it made me laugh.  Though I specialize in bare-metal coding, I do have 30 years of combined hardware and firmware design and build.  I still make mistakes and at this stage in my life, I learn every single day and realize now that there is far more that I don't know than what I do.

I learn everyday too. I love reading and learning and listening to people and learning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curious_George said:

Racer you could do it. I love the visual presentation. We as humans are visual (and auditory) by nature. So much is tied to vision with regards to learning rather than listening and learning. 

Encouragement is great. As I have already said before this thread is not about me or this amplifier build but to get more into diy as a hobby. Like the teacher of electronics said on youtube learning electronics is about learning a new language. So true. When a beginning electronic hobbyist sees an electronic word he does not understand use the net and find the meaning of the word. First thing you know you will be speaking electronics. A simple amplifier schematic is a good place to start. I am like Nelson in that I think simple circuits sound the best. Not all speakers can be used in simple circuit amplifiers though. Ours can. We Klipsch speaker owners are very lucky. 

• Like 1

Just thought I would add. I am not the neatest amplifier builder. This one is probably the only one I am trying real hard to be neat but my builds will never match Maynard's or some others on this forum. Many of my personal amp builds look like a rats nest underneath but hey they work and are quite. Works for me. 

Mine are like one of Nelson's new projects he brought to the BAF festival and said the lid is going to stay on. He said he had it very neat to begin with to show inside but then he had to get the dang thing to work so the lid stays on. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

To illustrate the ground scheme, I marked up this pic of a 300B amp I was making. This particular ground scheme is a bus bar type, but a "hybrid" of a star type and straight bus bar type. It worked out well and there is zero noise in the amp. 

Ground Bus Example_300B.jpg

This is what is needed on this thread. This thread can be a very good one if we keep in mind we are trying to help some kid get into diy electronics. Looks like there are some transistors in that build. I am not opposed to some SS active devices making a tube work better.

Neat build George, I like it. 

• Like 1

Electronics is like learning a new language as I previously stated. This is a test for newbies. Before I attach a wire at a spot on the build I always tin that wire and also it helps to tin the iron for better heat transfer. If you do not know what tinning a wire or iron means use the net and learn something new. Ya'll experienced guys let the newbies find out for themselves. The net can be a wonderful learning tool. Did not have it when I was trying to learn electronics in my teens and early twenties. You youngsters are very lucky. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curious_George said:

To illustrate the ground scheme, I marked up this pic of a 300B amp I was making. This particular ground scheme is a bus bar type, but a "hybrid" of a star type and straight bus bar type. It worked out well and there is zero noise in the amp. 

Ground Bus Example_300B.jpg

Just beautiful, so inspirational....

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Looks like there are some transistors in that build. I am not opposed to some SS active devices making a tube work better.

Neat build George, I like it. 

Henry, the T0-3 devices are LT-1085 voltage regulators. The 300B filaments in that build are DC regulated (5VDC@1.25 amps). You could also use an LM317 but the LT1085 is a low drop-out regulator which I needed in this particular circuit. 

I've built directly heated triode amps with AC filaments (for simplicity and bare bones circuitry) and they sound good, but DC is really the only option. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Just beautiful, so inspirational....

Here is another example of a ground bus, but it is imposiible to see because it is under the wiring. Almost identical to the 300B though (if you could see it). This amp uses AC filaments so it has a cleaner layout. Sounds great with very little hum, but not dead quiet.

4.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Yes, tube amps can be a unique platform for artistic expression: Big Red. (There are 18 photos there.)

Big Red is very red. Nice build. I see he likes carbon film resistors. I use them is various places, but metal film/carbon film today are about the same price, so metal film is the way to go. My favorite low wattage metal film is a Dale/Vishay CMF. 

They are a little more expensive than pedestrian metal film resistors, but they are totally transparent in the circuit. 

"Real resistors have numbers printed on them" - Curious George

Dale-Vishay CMF_Mil Resistors.pdf

• Like 4