Hifi's obsession w/ imaging...

ODS123

2 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I have never been one to chase imaging.  Sound stage... maybe, but not imaging. 

I do not understand the difference.

I do know that, when a vocal or instrument seems to appear in my room, in a location where a speaker is not, and it raises the hair on the back of my neck, something special has just occurred.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, garyrc said:

Too bad they didn't have 4 of these. 

Klipsch - Jubilee Flagship 2-Way Fully Horn-Loaded Loudspeaker - American Walnut (EACH)

Well, maybe 4 per musician.  The Wall of Sound could send clear and clean music for half a mile.  Those are big shoes to fill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Owsley Stanley designed it so the musicians could hear what the audience heard, and each musician controlled what was right behind them. It was a great bit of design and engineering. He made great acid, too.

Yes and yes.  Mister Stanley will be remembered for a long time.

32 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I do know that, when a vocal or instrument seems to appear in my room, in a location where a speaker is not, and it raises the hair on the back of my neck, something special has just occurred.

This should happen all of the time where you cannot even tell where the speakers are.

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

My LS would image very well, often with instruments to the left and right of the speakers, and the 2A3 amps certainly weren't getting too loud.

OK, I was getting worried.  My heritage are all either waiting to start restoration or on the verge of being complete.  Have not heard them in a very long time. 

I am using Palladiums and B&W 800 speakers and imaging is not an issue at all as you cannot tell where the speakers are, just a smooth sound stage with depth and instruments in various spots. 

You say often, not always, hmmm....  did they need to be out further from the walls?  That makes a big difference. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave1291 said:

Well, at least they knew what was going on eventually, can not imagine how freaky it would be to not have a clue at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Well, at least they knew what was going on eventually, can not imagine how freaky it would be to not have a clue at all.

Ohhhh, I don't think it took them very long at all.  hahaha  Sound guys who worked together back in the day would figure out where you rest your fingers on that board in passages, etc. Played a game painting those spots.  Always had a backup straight guy just waiting most of the time. lol

I thought it was funny as heck when they were all toast.  Gotta watch those guys they're sneaky like that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Wall of Sound sounded very good indeed. It was as loud as required, but with the multiplicity of drivers, the volume was diffused over the entire arena. I saw the Dead with the WOS in Freedom Hall, in Louisville in 1974. We got in on the sound check and they played some esoteric cuts for us before the rent-a-cops chased us out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, babadono said:

0-11.jpg?iv=352

Did this sound good? Or just loud?

I would have loved to hear that live. I can't imagine that it was painfully loud, loud yes, but that it had a very large sonority. That there were no horns could mean that this kind of PA itself contributed the pleasant kind of distortion in a well-dosed way, much like a guitar amp, just my fantasy. The two left and right columns are reminiscent of what can be achieved today with line arrays in terms of radiation effects, i.e. widely fanned out horizontally and directed vertically. Probably one should stand relatively close to the stage. Horn PAs carry the sound better to the back rows for what I know..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You say often, not always, hmmm....  did they need to be out further from the walls?  That makes a big difference. 

It depended on the recording. My LS would disappear almost all the time. My Heresy IIs not so much. I don't listen loud, maybe 70-80 db or so. The bass to treble is the moset balanced there, as the Fletcher/Munson response curve demonstrate.