We have a new local hero in Las Vegas

tigerwoodKhorns

18 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

technically, the owner did not look threatened, which means he did not have to kill the robber.

In a life or death situation and you only have seconds to act you have to assume the worst he could have had a knife or gun and there was two of them had he struggled with the guy behind the counter without a weapon the second one would have almost certainly stepped in to help 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

In a life or death situation and you only have seconds to act you have to assume the worst he could have had a knife or gun and there was two of them had he struggled with the guy behind the counter without a weapon the second one would have almost certainly stepped in to help 

I agree. I hope there are no charges filed against the owner. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

“I feared for my life.”

Jury: 🤔

Quick google search:

"Nevada also has a “Castle Doctrine,” which means you are allowed to use deadly force against someone for attempting to break into your home or vehicle or otherwise commit a felony. Even if the person attempting to enter your home or vehicle does not intend to kill you, you still have the right to kill such intruders."

12 minutes ago, geezin' said:

Wow. Brutal response. So much more personal then just pulling a trigger. Agree with The Cranky One above. He just went to work on that guy w/o hesitation or remorse. That may change after time passes. Damn...

"To combat violence, you need greater violence". Truer words were never spoken. Loving thy enemy and singing kumbayah ain't going to do it. 

• Like 3

Just now, jjptkd said:

Quick google search:

"Nevada also has a “Castle Doctrine,” which means you are allowed to use deadly force against someone for attempting to break into your home or vehicle or otherwise commit a felony. Even if the person attempting to enter your home or vehicle does not intend to kill you, you still have the right to kill such intruders."

Up and coming felons may want to know this... 

21 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

"To combat violence, you need greater violence". Truer words were never spoken. Loving thy enemy and singing kumbayah ain't going to do it. 

That's the conclusion you draw from my post? You ever stab someone?

• Like 1

I don't know our criminal statutes, but generally you need to have a fear for your life.  We are in an election year so the DA's response to charge the guy will be a tough pill for voters to swallow.  I hope that he is not charged, it will be a very stark contrast to Seattle and other places where criminals just go into Walgreens and take what they want.  Anyway, let's not go political here. 

Anyone have a statute for the castle doctrine?

I am pretty sure that we have the 'felony murder' statute where if anyone is killed during a felony that you committed, you are responsible, which means the other guy could get charged if the kid dies.  Some criminals might actually think twice. 

The law school question was what happens if someone dies while you are committing a felony by cheating on your taxes? 

1 minute ago, geezin' said:

That's the conclusion you draw from my post? You ever stab someone?

It may not have been "personal", but those dopes came into HIS buisness while he was there and knew what they were doing. That in my book makes it personal. Perhaps if they did it after hours, it was just business related. 

1 minute ago, Curious_George said:

It may not have been "personal", but those dopes came into HIS buisness while he was there and knew what they were doing. That in my book makes it personal. Perhaps if they did it after hours, it was just business related. 

No, never stabbed anyone. Do I have to, to have a frame of reference?