We have a new local hero in Las Vegas

tigerwoodKhorns

17 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

No, never stabbed anyone. Do I have to, to have a frame of reference?

Nah don't have to. However it's obvious when someone speaks w/o experience.

Still don't see where I said anything about the shopkeeper being wrong in his response. Simply where it was fast forceful and brutal. None of which are false.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curious_George said:

It's a tough call, technically, the owner did not look threatened, which means he did not have to kill the robber. I don't know the laws in Nevada, but if you put yourself into those positions (the robbers), you have to be prepared to get what is given. 

Yea, this is tough.  The law does not look like it is on his side, but to argue his case, he was calm, asked them to leave and then got scared when they jumped the counter.  They did not come directly after him, but one was blocking the door and the other was now right next to him. 

Sad thing is that he was just doing his job and was thrown into this situation by these idiots.  He didn't ask to be part of a crime and he reacted in a way that most can relate to.  He got scared and tried to defend himself. 

Here's a link to the story with some insight from the store owner:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/smoke-shop-owner-stabs-thief

Nguyen told FOX5, "The whole time I was a little bit nervous because obviously I was getting robbed."

“I was really scared for my life because they were wearing baggy clothes... one of them came in with a bag as if he had a firearm,” the smoke shop owner said.

"I was in a fight or flight mode… a lot of adrenaline going through my body,” Nguyen added.

"I honestly don't recall what I was thinking," Nguyen told KSNV. "I assumed they had guns on them."

Slow it down. Those were all tactical strikes. 

Even though he jumps the counter, he’s going after merchandise, not attempting to attack the store owner. The store owner is technically the aggressor and there is no equal force. He also doesn’t look afraid in the least. Everything he does is tactical - like when to pick up the knife, when to open it - and concealing it. 

This really can go either way. 

2 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Slow it down. Those were all tactical strikes. 

Even though he jumps the counter, he’s going after merchandise, not attempting to attack the store owner. The store owner is technically the aggressor and there is no equal force. He also doesn’t look afraid in the least. Everything he does is tactical - like when to pick up the knife, when to open it - and concealing it. 

This really can go either way. 

Nothing wrong with being able to fight or defend yourself, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. It could have very easily been him hurt or killed in a split second had he shown the knife and either of the two pulled a gun too many unknowns can't make assumptions in life and death scenarios like this

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

It’s like going for your conceal carry firearm when someone just wants your wallet. Be careful with this kind of thinking. My uncle says prison sucks pretty bad. 

No one was brandishing a weapon, threatened him, or tries to attack him. A jury does not deal in what ifs. They will see an idiot jumping a counter for some vape cartridges and this guy making a beeline for him like Jason Bourne. 

IMHO he had the right and reason to do what he did. My comments were on how fast and efficient it was. If you didn't find it uncomfortable to watch you haven't a heart. That is not to say they didn't ask for it but damn that was brutal. That was no movie with Jason Statham,ect. that was the real thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I girl I knew in engineering school worked at a video rental place and followed a thief into the parking lot.  He bet her so badly I think she had some permanent brain damage. 

Another friend in my 20s has some kids / gangbangers throwing rocks at his car.  Went outside to fight the kid and his buddy stabbed him through the heart. 

Not good decisions in either event, but the people that I knew did not go out to commit a crime and each paid a huge price.

Here the moron would be robbers made a decision to commit a felony.  The clerk was forced into a situation and had to make a decision.  Now he might be in jail and the kids parent are definitely going to sue the store because their little angel got hurt.  Anyone could have gotten scared and made this decision.  It stinks that he might be in a horrible situation and unfortunate that there were cameras. 

• Like 3

...tell me the store clerk isn’t traumatized, and damn lucky they didn’t have guns.

What a stupid way to get your thrills.

They probably have college funds.

I pray the kid survives and the clerk acquitted of any charges for neutralizing the threat, in this case.

• Like 1

You’re alone in a store, two masked guys come in who certainly don’t have the look of a “consumer”. Clerks mind is going a mile a minute. What’s he supposed to think when the guy jumps the counter? He didn’t jump to shake hands. And there lies the problem with a

jury who has no earthly idea of how/what one thinks and reacts in this situation. I was robbed at gunpoint many years ago and trust me, the thoughts running through your mind can’t truly be understood by a jury. Particularly when you’re taken to the back room and pulling the phone cord from the wall. Well - is this it, is it over - ? Now, many years later and all growed up, I’m with SSH - I’d soon blow the f’ers head off - 

• Like 3