We have a new local hero in Las Vegas

tigerwoodKhorns

I had a flat tire on I20, at night, about half a mile from the state police station in Bossier City, LA. The door was open and the interior light was on. You could see that I had a full rack of clothes over the back seat.  A Lincoln occupied four times slammed on the breaks and stopped 20 yards in front of me. A man walked back to my car in an overcoat with his hands in his pockets. I left the holster in plain view on the driver's seat. He asked me, "Hey, man you got any water?" I had a .45 in hand behind the bad tire as I took it off. I looked up at him and said, "No, water is not what I have." He knew he was vulnerable and walked back to his car. I have no doubt that he would have shot me other than seeing that I had a bigger gun than he had. I would have killed him rather than be killed.

SSH

• Like 4

^^^^^
In that scenario you’re equipped, aware of your vulnerability and prepared.

In a retail environment where instead of pulling out a wallet the “customer” pulls a gun, pointing it in your face from a couple, three feet. Faced with that, options are few, particularly when you’re instantly cast into self-preservation mode - 

1 hour ago, richieb said:

You’re alone in a store, two masked guys come in who certainly don’t have the look of a “consumer”. Clerks mind is going a mile a minute. What’s he supposed to think when the guy jumps the counter? He didn’t jump to shake hands. And there lies the problem with a

jury who has no earthly idea of how/what one thinks and reacts in this situation. I was robbed at gunpoint many years ago and trust me, the thoughts running through your mind can’t truly be understood by a jury. Particularly when you’re taken to the back room and pulling the phone cord from the wall. Well - is this it, is it over - ? Now, many years later and all growed up, I’m with SSH - I’d soon blow the f’ers head off - 

The clerk was calm until the idiot decided to 'flex his power' by coming back.  The clerk looked like he went into panic mode when the two idiots jumped the counter and he just reacted.  His composure completely changed.  He did stop stabbing moron #2 long before killing him. 

Being robbed sucks, you don't know what will happen or if you will be shot and being second guessed by prosecutor and then a jury is not good. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, geezin' said:

From what I can find the guy is alive. I cannot find anything that mentions death.

Hopefully he survives and straightens his life out I would not wish death on him for what he did but at the same time I do not blame the store owner either for his reaction. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He was calm and focused, this is not a bad thing. We also don't know how many other times he has been robbed. We see all too frequently, hairballs shooting store clerks even after they have complied and handed over money. Scary situation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Hopefully he survives and straightens his life out I would not wish death on him for what he did but at the same time I do not blame the store owner either for his reaction. 

Best result here is no permanent damage and everyone moves on and these kid get on a better course in life. 

The shop looks nice, but this happened is a kind of bad part of town, by no means the worst, but I will go there during the day if I must, but avoid it at night as there seems to be murders and killings in that area over the years in the news. 

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Hmmmm

That's a tough one to call. Know what it looks like, then it looks different.

Do not know how the Police are allowed to respond there now either.

Glad it's not my mess either way.

There was a shooting in a room at the Mirage last week.  This is a very nice resort on the LV strip.  Private matter between some rough people or maybe a bad drug deal, but if people get their news from clickbait headlines they will think that people are just shooting tourist.

The DA needs to let this one go, there is a huge industry to protect and LV cannot be seen as letting criminals do what they want.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

No intentionally, just being sloppy, but this story is not accurate. 

Who is the third juvenile?  I only counted two. 

Then they say only one jumped the counter. 

Is this a clerk or the owner? 

This is also a very bad idea.  KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!  This guy needs to consult a criminal attorney. 

“I don’t think he planned on getting stabbed that day obviously, but if you try robbing a store you are taking a risk,” Nguyen said.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

This is also a very bad idea.  KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!  This guy needs to consult a criminal attorney. 

“I don’t think he planned on getting stabbed that day obviously, but if you try robbing a store you are taking a risk,” Nguyen said.

I 100% agree, thought the same thing when I read the article chances are this won't escalate doesn't fit the narrative for gun control in any way if this happened in a heavy blue state where they criminalize self defense that would be different.

6 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Is this a clerk or the owner?

TV 11 says Nguyen is the owner.

Channel 3 says: On Monday, police said the robbery is currently under investigation and confirmed three juvenile suspects were arrested in connection to the crime.