Phono cartridge - chasing phantoms?

ned

Hi everyone 

I'm a long time Grado guy. I am very happy alternating between a Gold (8mz stylus) and a Sonata 3. But then...a friend lent me a Sumiko Blackbird and it was a really different sound and I liked it. The highs sparkled, there was a sense of airiness and lightness. Bass was present, mids were present although not as saturated as with the Grados. 

Have any of you been here before me? Is there something in the current Sumiko line-up that will scratch this itch? Should I forget that I ever heard something different and stay true to the Brooklyn sound? 

My system is a Technics sp-15 currently running through Parasound P6 and 23+ into Khorns (newish Crites type A). In the winter I run tubes - more detail in my profile. I am number 400 waiting on a Decware Zen and that will change things again....eventually. 

Thanks a bunch

Ned

• Like 2

Anyone that spins vinyl has, I'm sure, been in the same position as you are when it comes to carts.  I was lost yet craving the "right" sound for me when I was putting my system together.

Tossed it out in the "Vinyl Spinning" group and was told about the Blackbird.  I listen and when it came time to have my Linn table gone over my Linn tech said he'd get a Bllackbird in for me if I wanted it.  Naturally, I asked what he recommended and he said he always had a Dynavector 20X2H high output moving coil in stock.  He told me he'd heard both and had installed both but his fav was the Dynavector.  Then. I hit youtube and nosed.  I just trusted in my school trained tech who's been in the business for 40 years.  Why not?  I could always change if I didn't like it.

I brought the table home and in two minutes (maybe less) fell in love all over again.  Might throw a Blackbird on next but they're both about the same thing spec wise.  I do love the Dynavector though.  My 2-channel food chain is the Linn table, Schiit Mani phono pre, Prima Luna Integrated, LS RB and a JBL SP128S sub box.  Just my .02 cents worth.

Welcome to the Forum!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you! I've been here a while but I'm quiet. 

I'll check in with my local HiFi shop. This is probably the best advice I've seen online. The online reviews are all over the place and I seem to only pay attention to the ones that confirm my bias. Someone's experience with Magnaplaners is of questionable value to me.

I appreciate the response. If you want a blackbird, now is probably the time to buy. Its been discontinued for years and its successor, the Starling, costs the same as a round trip flight to Asia. The Evo III which has a similar physical appearance has been discontinued as well. I am curious about the Amethyst and some others that are currently in production. 

enjoy,  Ned

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

I do love the Dynavector though.

Just read the 6 Moon review. Thank you for bringing this cart to my attention. It may be just what I'm looking for. It is certainly in the running

16 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I am still using Stanton 680 EEE

Sir Duke,

How would you describe the high mid and treble resolution? That's what bit me about the Blackbird. 58 year-old ears may be part of this quest. Also in the back of my mind is the thought of updating some of the Khorn drivers.....it never stops.....

1 hour ago, Dr Morbius said:

Loving my Goldring 1024, mounted on my Empire turntable.

I've been curious about Goldring. They come up on forums regularly. you are in good company. 

If you would, How does it drive the Cornscalas? how it the upper midrange? Is it "warm" (I think I mean is there a smoothness and softness) or is there more space around the instruments and crispness? 

On 8/8/2022 at 1:42 PM, ned said:

Sir Duke,

How would you describe the high mid and treble resolution? That's what bit me about the Blackbird. 58 year-old ears may be part of this quest. Also in the back of my mind is the thought of updating some of the Khorn drivers.....it never stops.....

My hearing after 40 years of Bands is suspect

Prolly only hear to 6k if that🙃

• Like 1