Future of the Klipschorn

KT88

33 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

If the Klipschorn were discontinued, you'd see the same market uproar as when the market threatened to discontinue:

1. The Ford Mustang.

2. The Chevrolet Corvette.

3. The Klondike Choco Taco!

While the Klipschorn is MORE SIGNIFICANT than any of those, it would be more like a whisper... we live in a niche market here.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 11:51 AM, Schu said:

a moderate sized horn loaded Subwoofer good to 20-25Hz with dual 12's or a single 15.

You're going to mess with physics again...

Maybe add a port with the horn...

Not the AL5, but the LS II and CW IV in the same room. Closer than some people would think. But with the exception of deep bass, the LS edges out the CW with it's more realistic midrange performance and slightly better dynamics.

I've thought about a used pair of AL5s, but I'd like to hear from someone that can tell me just how much better they are than the II.

• Like 1

In another thread I described how my (restored vintage) LaScala differs for me from my Underground Jubilees. In short, I love them both. The Jubilee lets me be part of the music that fills the room (like a virtual reality when being "in" the recording) and the LaScala blends beautifully with the room and its acoustics. It is a different listening experience.

Unfortunately, I have never heard a Khorn. It was always my boyhood dream, but then it came true in the form of the Jubilees.
Somehow I still have a great weakness for the fact that I would still like to have a KHorn once in my life. The corners in the room are there. How would you describe the difference to the Underground Jubilee?
In my imagination, the mids and highs of the KHorn would interact with the room more than the Jubilees do. So similar to my Lascala. On the other hand, the placement of the KHorn is similar to that of the Jubilees, in the corners of the room.
I think in my fantasy I might like the bass of the Khorn a lot, just deeper than the Lascala and also a bit deeper than the U Jubilee? Although perhaps more "old-fashioned"? Which need not necessarily be a disadvantage with classical and rock music? All only wishful thinking where the UJ is the best I could ever get or really a character of its own hearing a KHorn?

I've heard the Heresy, the Cornwall, the La Scala II (two different sets of AL4), the Klispchorn (AK6) and the Pro Jubilee all in the same room... for LONG periods of time

I think I can accurately describe the audible/sensory/Pyscho effects I experienced.

21 hours ago, KT88 said:

The corners in the room are there. How would you describe the difference to the Underground Jubilee?

I'd say that the UJ directly punches you in the chest with a direct hit (if appropriate power applied).  The Khorn punches the back of the room, the punch surrounds you and instead of being a punch in the chest, is an assault on the entire body BUT, not as violent as the direct punch in the chest.  

Meaning, since it (Khorn) pressurizes the room via the corner, the bottom end is more spread out.  You can feel it but it might not be as directional as the Jubilee.

When I was once working in basement (a story I've told several times) the Jubilee's were upstairs pretty loud so I could hear them.  Disks changed and the next disk was MUCH hotter than first, the volume skyrocketed.  I raced up to turn things town, lest I blow something.  

The energy was direct and very visceral as each drumbeat was coming directly at me.  With the Khorns, that energy would have been diffused through the room, less focused so not as directly impactful as the direct hit.

Don't know if any of that made much sense, but it's what came to mind on how to describe it.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2022 at 9:49 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I've thought about a used pair of AL5s, but I'd like to hear from someone that can tell me just how much better they are than the II.

Or you could consider upgrading to JubScalas. Keep your LS2 bass cabinets and add the 402 horns, with whichever driver suits you.  Even the 510 horns are a big upgrade.  That would leapfrog your La Scala IIs way past the AL5s, partly because of the bi-amping and the precise time alignment.  You can leave the HF cabinets on top or remove them, whatever suits you.  I left mine on top, because I have nowhere else to put them.  

That sets the tweeters kind of high, but I’ve got them angled forward, so they still face me directly when I’m sitting or reclining on the sofa.  It also makes them line up perfectly with the TV, which is sitting on a Belle Klipsch.  For that matter, the tweeters are the same height they’d be if they were sitting on the bass cabinets of either model of Jubilee, so they’re not too high.

9 hours ago, Schu said:

I've heard the Heresy, the Cornwall, the La Scala II (two different sets of AL4), the Klispchorn (AK6) and the Pro Jubilee all in the same room... for LONG periods of time

I think I can accurately describe the audible/sensory/Pyscho effects I experienced.

So tell us a bit about them.  Many of us are curious.

On 8/12/2022 at 10:32 AM, Crankysoldermeister said:

La Scala II - plywood build with AL-4 network?

All of the La Scala IIs are made of MDF, with the exception of one prototype pair built of plywood.  They were sold to a Forum member, after listening tests confirmed that the MDF models produced a preferred/better sound.

Just back from the Heritage dealer.  Requested Primaluna amp on the CW4.  Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over tour, not well impressed, no center, abysmal music selection.  Move over to LaScala AL5, Stevie Ray Vaughn acoustic piece:  These are not the LaScala I had in 1981.  Very impressed with the sound, speaker, and music selection.  Kind of ruined my room sound, but I'll get over it.

I'm sure CW4 very nice speaker, it was greatly compromised by being outside of the properly placed LaScala AL5.

• Like 1