UV Protection for Heritage Walnut Finish`

ThomBoh

I've got a pair of La Scala AL5 in American Walnut, and I noticed with a previous pair of Klipsch The Fives that if you leave them by a window in direct sunlight, they will change color.

One of my La Scala gets a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning, whereas the other does not. I would like to avoid the one by the window changing color on the surfaces that see sunlight, like the Fives did.

Is there a good product I could use that will protect the finish from this kind of discoloration?

furniture grade veneer will DEFINITELY fade when exposed to indirect and especially direct sunlight... so take care. I've even had speakers fade when covered if the covers are not thick enough to stop the light. Light damage can not be fixed by 'oiling' either... it's permanent.

I don't care how unsightly it is, I use sheet's (and boards to protect against doggie damage) to cover my gear's Veneer when not in use and I don't allow any direct sunlight. if your AL5's are getting sunlight directly, I can imagine it would only take 6 months to see a noticeable change.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

It's a natural result of real wood veneer Why not buy vinyl clad speakers if this is an issue

I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to place a $13 000 pair of speakers in a room that has a window and not want one of them to turn yellow in the span of two months.

I don't believe its unreasonable to not want your speakers to deteriorate. Not only do they change color, they can dry out and joints can open. (BTW, that happens with vinyl wrapped speakers as well. Not only does the cabinet dry out, but the vinyl out-gasses and dries out. Plus I've not seen vinyl wrapped Ls Scalas... ).

UV films for the windows will help, but not eliminate the issue. Keeping them out of sunlight is the only real solution. While I generally keep my drapes closed, I have a cotton sheet over my Walnut LSIIs which I can pull when I want to look at them.  Not the greatest solution, but I don't live in a cave. 🙂

https://woodworkly.com/does-sunlight-darken-wood/'

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

Ceramic tint the windows? 

It can't hurt. I had a van not so long ago and when the sun was out in AZ, it would toast your left arm even with the window up. The window tinter, well versed in Arizona sunshine, had a 3M UV film that was a bit more that 10% reduction in light, but claimed to eliminate 90% plus of the UV. After it was done, I could not feel the sun on my left arm as I drove. And the A/C wasn't straining anymore.

You can buy it on line and install it yourself. Its not hard; it just looks like you screwed up the install until the sun finally dries out the film to size.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThomBoh said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to place a $13 000 pair of speakers in a room that has a window and not want one of them to turn yellow in the span of two months.

It's bleaching... not yellowing.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 9:11 PM, carlthess40 said:

Use a car wax with UV protection
And make sure is a clear or as clear as possible

car wax does have UV protectors but for a natural oiled wood finish im not sure its a good idea to put car wax on it.  the other suggestions for covering the tops or full speaker with a sheet or other material & UV film for windows will work or at least greatly reduce sunlight exposure. 

but for a product you can apply to them thats not a wax & wont harm the veneer, is a marine/auto product called 303 protectant, its used on all kinds of surfaces from vinyl/rubber to fiberglass & even wood veneers to protect from UV fading & damage.  its always best to test any product on a small area on the bottom to be safe & only spray it lightly onto a clean rag, not directly on the speaker surface. 

probably best to cover the speakers &/or put a film on the windows.   

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 12:30 PM, ThomBoh said:

I've got a pair of La Scala AL5 in American Walnut, and I noticed with a previous pair of Klipsch The Fives that if you leave them by a window in direct sunlight, they will change color.

one product will work great

TRADE SECRET , available on Amazon   https://www.tradesecret.ca/

the product prevents the veneer from Drying out  , and even if the veneer does dry out , a new coat will rejuvenate the veneer ,

Have an auto window tinting company come and tint the offending window.  ..If you still notice a color change - likely a small amount, if any -  then swap the speakers' position every year.

My cherry CWIII's have changed color, but I welcome it. ...They've darkened and become slightly more red.

I would not even think of using some sort of UV-rated car wax.  ..I'd sooner resort to just switching their position 1x/yer.

3 hours ago, Schu said:

I use 303 on my car... it's wonderful. I am not sure about using it on Veneer, I tend to think not.

just a suggestion instead of car wax.  myself & friends have been using it on real wood trim in cars or boats for 20+ years, never a single problem.  for speakers, i would think applying very lightly sprayed on a rag first should be fine, it dries very fast to a streak free finish & theres no harsh chemicals in it to damage the veneer itself.  but of course test a small corner on the bottom first.   people have washed klipsch veneers with wet rags or even used pledge or murphys soap type crap on older klipsch & the veneers are ok, i hope the new models would be just as resilient.   

• Like 1