Mobile Fidelity Caught In Scam

thebes

On 8/11/2022 at 7:14 PM, Edgar said:

Assuming that @Marvel was correct, that it was mastered at 44.1/16, then the 24 bits on DVD won't really help except to prevent numerical overflow in the mix. And non-integer upsampling (like 44.1 to 96) is never quite as clean as integer upsampling (like 48 to 96).

It was tracked at 44.1 or 48 /16. That was what the Sony recorders at that time used, on 1/2 inch tape. They were also $150k. The 3324 came out first and they later made a 48 track, the 3348. It recorder in a way that they could make physical splices withe the tape, i.e., razor blade type of splices.

I don't know what they mixed to.

And to be honest, a lot of the loudness wars have subsided.

5 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Where does the madness end ?

For me it ends at 24bit/96kHz LPCM. The over sampling of the converters used in equipment that runs at these resolutions nowadays makes all the talk back in the day about the "harshness" of digital moot. If you like the noise and distortion that an all analog path gives that's great. To each his own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I don't know what they mixed to

I think I recall Sony made a 2 track mixing/mastering machine also. Or you could mix the 24 track master down to 2 tracks on another 24 track machine:) Once its digital it makes no difference.

I did find this about the remix of Brothers in Arms to 5.1.

---

It should be noted that the original transfers were recorded digitally to the then new and pioneering Sony 16-bit 44.1kHz DASH format, which at the time only supported 24-tracks. Ainlay also faced the fact that pre-emphasis had been applied to the recordings on the DASH tapes. In essence, this was intended to help reduce PCM quantisation noise by basically boosting the high-end on record, and then decreasing it again, with the inverse slope to flatten the response back out on playback. Even today, the problem is there is no practical way to strip the emphasis whilst staying in the digital domain. In the end, the solution Ainlay came-up with was to use the machine’s analogue-outs which would output with the frequency response re-corrected on playback. Moreover, to achieve the best possible sound quality, the team used the latest model of Sony DASH machine they could lay their hands on: the 3348HR which used much better converters than those of the original 3324.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

For me it ends at 24bit/96kHz LPCM. The over sampling of the converters used in equipment that runs at these resolutions nowadays makes all the talk back in the day about the "harshness" of digital moot. If you like the noise and distortion that an all analog path gives that's great. To each his own.

Yes, exactly.   Intrigued by DSD and the PS audio Perfectwave DAC that converts all incoming to DSD, but seems like a little overkill for my use.  Very happy with my $150 Topping E30 DAC.

Missed this the first go round:

Producer Neil Dorfsman says the digital multitrack was mixed on an analog board with the resulting two track mix re-digitized via a Prism A/D converter and recorded on a DAT machine. Brothers in Arms was the first album to sell one million copies in the CD format and to outsell its LP version.

• Like 1

Haven't listened to those yet, but I will.

Did all of this start since they started doing cd's or multi-channel?

Or was it after all those master tapes got destroyed in that unexplained fire a few years back. I have a digitally done LP from the early 90s by Saga that has a punctual sound to a live recording.

@Schu recall we discussed that briefly once. Some seemed to have frequencies boosted. Like the old loudness button.  My "Fly Like an Eagle" from the late 70s was my first mofi record and it's still wonderful, I hope maybe it wasn't always like this. 

Not defending deception, but this is ridiculous. Only the lawyers make money on class action suits and the average customer gets $1.98 or less. This may well push them out of business, so I hope whoever filed suit will be proud of themselves.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Class action lawsuit filed against them:

5 hours ago, boom3 said:

Not defending deception, but this is ridiculous. Only the lawyers make money on class action suits and the average customer gets $1.98 or less. This may well push them out of business, so I hope whoever filed suit will be proud of themselves.

4 hours ago, billybob said:

Ain't it the truth...

Or the customer will get a voucher toward the next purchase, but there won't be any more product because the company goes bankrupt from legal fees.

• Like 3