Mobile Fidelity Caught In Scam

thebes

On 8/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, Marvel said:

And to be honest, a lot of the loudness wars have subsided.

Ok. Can you give me the title of some recent CDs I could purchase that take advantage of the superior dynamic range of the CD format? Or is this all download/streaming titles?

Well, not telling the truth about what kind of product you are buying or being led to believe it is a different product (analog) than what it is (digital processing sections in the chain) is not forgivable. It is simply fraud so that an exorbitant price can be obtained from the ranks of an analog fan community.
If we leave this moral and legal level out of it, then it becomes interesting once again. Various test scenarios are conceivable. If I could wish for it: Two master tapes from which one record each is pressed. In this test, no changes (eq, dynamics etc) should be made on the digital level. It should only be in the way. Would I hear the difference on my record player? In fact, it would be much better if after the DSD loop you recorded back to the same kind of tape and machine in analog and compared that to the original master tape, then no artifacts are added by the vinyl pressing and the turntable. (but maybe it is these artifacts that some people like so much).
Another test would be, if MoFi digitizes, that you stay in the digital world and that from the digitized master some consumer format is produced, MQA or DSD audio what you can buy, and then compare it with vinyl.
I love records but after the break of the analog chain vinyl would be absolutely charmless for me, even if I had a very good turntable with all the necessary around it. I have a lot of records from before 1980 and I love my turntable for that. All people who buy a Mofi product must feel fooled, even if it sounds "somehow" good. And I believe that if you have only once had a digital step in the chain, leave it digital downstream to the hifi system.

• Like 3

one has to be careful , since quite a lot of  Digital HIRES  Files do  originate from an Analog   Master recording  and once they are processed in a digital format ,  they can be duplicated  in either Digital or Analog  products  .

what MOFI are doing is   buying   Digital  HIRES files  and they turn it into an analog product  which is sort of a surprise  to everybody ,  since it really means that Digital  music is   on par with Vinyl if one is   using  the right equipment  .

5 hours ago, OO1 said:

one has to be careful , since quite a lot of  Digital HIRES  Files do  originate from an Analog   Master recording  and once they are processed in a digital format ,  they can be duplicated  in either Digital or Analog  products  .

what MOFI are doing is   buying   Digital  HIRES files  and they turn it into an analog product  which is sort of a surprise  to everybody ,  since it really means that Digital  music is   on par with Vinyl if one is   using  the right equipment  .

I have a slightly different opinion. I would not want to equate HIRES with pure ANALOG. I said that the "analog" MoFi recording converted back from digital could also "somehow" sound good. But if it would be simply (and legalized?) the same then in 20 years no one knows how real analog sounded.
That's why I proposed to try how it is when you compare a real analog recording with a MoFi digital processing. If no one can distinguish it, then it becomes just a legal problem of permitted or prohibited process sections when it comes to the question of the truth of the product's claim.
But if some people with good ears can repeatably recognize and reliably assign the difference between real analog and MoFi then we have the problem that analog will die out if its manufacturing effort becomes too big and if digital is lied to us as analog (in case all manufacturers would be allowed to act like MoFi). 
Without comparison and without reference, consumers believe they have bought MoFi analog. The great psychological and emotional consternation of this case is the unconscionable sensory deception. Sorry, just as well it is fraud if someone copies a first class French red wine in his genetic chemistry lab...even if the wine might taste good to many customers...and even if many people could not tell the difference.

Nothing to say against the synthetic wine if it tastes good to me and is not unhealthier than real red wine. But I want to know what I'm buying. MoFi is no better than Volkswagen if they don't declare it.

12 hours ago, KT88 said:

... when you compare a real analog recording with a MoFi digital processing. If no one can distinguish it, then it becomes just a legal problem ... when it comes to the question of the truth of the product's claim.

This case may prove that people will hear what they want to hear, until they find out it is not what they thought it was.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Somewhat of a followup & elaboration on the topic is in today's Washington Post. The article includes samples so the reader can A/B digital v. vinyl with headphones. An interesting read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/interactive/2022/perfect-sound-quality-vinyl-records/?itid=hp-top-table-main-t-6

On 10/3/2022 at 9:11 AM, michaelwjones said:

Somewhat of a followup & elaboration on the topic is in today's Washington Post. The article includes samples so the reader can A/B digital v. vinyl with headphones. An interesting read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/interactive/2022/perfect-sound-quality-vinyl-records/?itid=hp-top-table-main-t-6

But they are both digital.

2 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

But they are both digital.

Yeah; they couldn't figure out how to send a turntable with each paper...

We recorded these samples in front of Jonathan Weiss’s $363,000 Oswalds Mill Audio (OMA) speakers in his Brooklyn showroom, using a binaural mic and a stereo mic at 32bit_192kHz. The digital file was streamed through an iFi nano iOne home DAC, which has a Bluetooth codec maxing out at 16bit_48kHz. The audio files have been matched post-production to have the same loudness. (Of course, nothing sounds quite like being there.)