Do You Hear That Dog Barking ?

Racer  X

On 8/13/2022 at 8:57 AM, Schu said:

it's not a dog... its a synthesizer.

😛

Tony TS McPhee

Be careful how loud you turn up your system when you listen to this track... it will test its limits.

I agree , a dog's  barking outside of the building  cant  be picked up  by the Studio's  microphones   ,so it was  1 of the Beatles  barking at the end of the 8th Take  .

https://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/i-feel-fine/   

"  I Feel Fine’ was completed in nine takes. The first eight were of the rhythm track only, and the final take was an overdub of the vocals. It was the first Beatles song to have the backing track recorded before the vocals, as John Lennon had trouble singing and playing at the same time.  "

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

I agree  , a dog's  barking outside of the building  cant  be picked up  by the Studio's  microphones   ,so it was  1 of the Beatles  barking at the end of the 8th Take.

Respectfully disagree. 

Someone with a keen ear playing the record (never heard the CD) on a highly resolved system should be able to easily verify.  I've demoed this to non audio nuts.

Forget the Beatles!

Being back home from holiday in the Alps, 

I finally nailed it: it is on Roger Waters' Amused to Death album, the song: The Ballad of Bill Hubbard (around 12 seconds into the song...) It's an amazing song, btw.

I apologize for completely ignoring the original post's mentioning a Beatle song...

I read about the Roger Waters song ages ago, and now I'm glad I listened to it again.

This was my initial source: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/amused-to-death-and-avalon-opus

Not sure if it is a true test for your audio system: I can hear the dog barking on YT with my laptop speakers, in my Beyerdynamic TD990Pro earphones, and certainly with my Heresy speakers...

Waters' inspiration came from this 1990 documentary:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Gregory said:

Another hard to hear:

Glenn Gould hums with his piano playing. Especially difficult to hear in the beginning. 

7ECCA8BB-5DA2-4EE3-9362-F6862132D769.jpeg

Books have been written about Glenn Gould's versions of The Goldberg Variations. And this was before the release of The silence of the lambs, the cult movie with Anthony Hopkins in the role of Hannibal Lecter, serial killer who kills and slashes two policemen and cuts off the face of one to stick it on his face in order to escape. (sorry, that was a spoiler...)

Gould became notorious, not just for his humming, but also for his refusal to play for an audience, already at a young age. He recorded the Goldberg Variations twice, in 1955 and in 1981.  In 1955 he played it much faster (38'26) than in 1981 (51'47). And he played it on a piano, not on a harpsichord, which the work was originally intended for. I like his recordings a lot because they are very dynamic, but for audio engineers, it must have been a nightmare working with Gould. Sometimes his humming is so loud you could call it 'howling' and then of course, it's really close to 'barking'! 😉 

The aria of The Goldberg Variations, as used in The Silence of the Lambs, is not on the official soundtrack CD of the movie.

PSX_20220819_181718.jpg

PSX_20220819_181702.jpg

• Like 3

Gould can be a complete nutcase:

Here he discusses the effect that music can have on animals:

(no one above asked the question why *that* dog started barking in the first place. most likely, it was reacting to the music it was hearing, as is demonstrated in the video below, thank you Glenn Gould!)

https://youtu.be/57kR6RsV2iA

But then he can be a genius as well:

https://youtu.be/57kR6RsV2iA

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can you hear the pigeon cooing? 

Kate Bush does amazing things with pigeons cooing and her voice. This is no accidental recording but I'm sure some accidental recording gave her the idea. 

It continues throughout the whole Aerial album. 

In a later track she takes it to the extreme by imitating songbirds with her voice, the pigeon included:

It's interesting that many 'home' studios have a lower noise floor than a lot of professional studios. You also have wonderful recordings made on location and having to put up with traffic noise or other building noises.

I have the release on cd of Janos Starkers Bach Cello Suites. I've a couple of the Mercury Living Presence series. During Starker's performance, you can hear a large truck rumble past. But it's still great to hear the playing in a large room.

I know there are other great recordings of this music but I've yet to purhase others. I should try our local library.