Favorite thing about my Forte IVs- low volume listening

Fido

I love everything about the Forte IVs but lately have spent a lot of time listening at very low volume levels. They are very dynamic no matter the volume but the way they scale up and down as volume changes is superb. To me it’s critical that low volume level listening retains all the dynamics of louder volume. Of course cranked they ROCK! They blend incredibly well with my REL s812s and the Primaluna EVO 400 is a great match with them. Synergy!

• Like 11

• Fido changed the title to Favorite thing about my Forte IVs- low volume listening

Yes,  the Forte IV is a great speaker at lower volumes .    I think I had one of the first pairs along with Fido and after a year and a half I am still loving them. They sound great with any good amp and phenomenal if the components paired with them are of high quality.    Could this be my last speaker?   Possibly, they are that good.   

I just retired my Quicksilver Mid Monos and am driving them with a Toolshed 300b and is sounds amazing.  Not that it didn’t before, but with WE 300b there are layers of detail that were masked before.   These speakers are awesome with the right amp.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve. said:

Yes,  the Forte IV is a great speaker at lower volumes .    I think I had one of the first pairs along with Fido and after a year and a half I am still loving them. They sound great with any good amp and phenomenal if the components paired with them are of high quality.    Could this be my last speaker?   Possibly, they are that good.   

I just retired my Quicksilver Mid Monos and am driving them with a Toolshed 300b and is sounds amazing.  Not that it didn’t before, but with WE 300b there are layers of detail that were masked before.   These speakers are awesome with the right amp.    

That Toolshed amp looks amazing and I bet it sounds as good as it looks. I bet it brings all the best out of your Forte IVs. I moved from a McIntosh hybrid integrated to the Primaluna and that combo was the hot ticket to my ears. Several months ago I switched out my HSU sub for a REL and it blends perfectly with my Fortes. I can't stop listening!  I can't imagine the music sounding any better than it does now - Congrats on your new Toolshed amp/ forte IV combo!!!

• Like 3

Thanks !  Matt really delivered as promised.  It has amazing clarity and transparency.  Bass is much better than I expected, it feels lower than my QS through the Forte ,  has great slam and dynamics for its 7 or so watts with a speaker like the Forte .  

Such a great match with my Zesto preamp. I think I am done with hardware. (At least amps and pre).  

45 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Um, just for reference sake, what is low volume ?

What is normal volume ?

What is loud or medium loud volume ?

Low volume is approx 38 db - medium

Loud is closer to 75 db

11380081_1756461067909378_958357649_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

WHAT? I'm between 75 and 85 db. But I have all horns and I can resist anything but Temptation!

You are a maniac that much is clear. At least you don’t take pictures of naked women while blasting that loud music. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Racer X said:

Um, just for reference sake, what is low volume ?

What is normal volume ?

What is loud or medium loud volume ?

You need to look at OSHA standards, which have been revised. When I worked at a Chrysler factory after high school, we had a constant high noise level in the factory. OSHA standards used to say 90 db for 8 hours..................it has been revised to 85 db for 8 hours maximum exposure. Reference standard is 83 db for home theater, which is my standard for speaker setup and some listening tied to how much wine is consumed in the process. Listener fatigue sets in depending on type of music and how much distortion of any kind we can tolerate over time. Modern, highly compressed rock music is the WORST!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Klipschtastic said:

I mostly listen between 65-75db avg on my phone meter. If 85 for 8 hrs is actually safe that’s plenty loud to enjoy music. 75 is decently stimulating. 

Yes 88 db is too loud for me to enjoy. I prefer under 75 db

• Like 3