Computer guys....

Coytee

My PC died a couple days ago.  I've been using my phone for whatever internet lookup I need/want to do.  I'm realizing I need to buy another.  The one that died, I bought used.  My needs are low so I'm not going to pay several hundred or several thousands for the newest/bestest.

Poking around on craigslist, I found a Dell T5400 with monitor, keyboard, mouse (though I told him to keep the keyboard & mouse)

He carried on how this is an industrial tank, yada yada yada....  most of which went over my head.  When he opened the case though, I have to admit, seeing the cooling 'thing' above the processor (MUCH larger than any I've ever seen, looks like it might have some copper tubes which suggests it might have some liquid cooling)

Anyway, long story short, I was heading into town, saw this....so reached out to him and decided on the spot to get it.

$90

I figured I'd probably not be able to replace too many parts in my now dead pc for that much so what the heck.

Again, not knowing much about this T5400....  is it really the 'industrial tank' he said it was?  It doesn't really matter what the answer is, I'm now using it.  It seems to fit well as a replacement.  I DID need a pigtail to take my DVI for monitor into its other type of video plug but the pigtail was all I needed.

I also now have a nice foot rest as it's laying on its side under desk.

First update all drivers, Second  - Update to highest level Windows the machine is capable

You did not mention how you use a computer, use will determine longevity. This is a "work Station"  which can limit some of your future update options.

Just remember all current software and hardware "assumes" current computers.  I would start saving for a new Costco computer

Good luck

Interesting comments  lol.

My uses are reading the internet, like here....  playing some cards (Euchre for those who care) a spreadsheet/letter from time to time, reading news....

Pretty low demand.  No gaming, no videos, no streaming (my internet is WAY too slow for all that.....price I pay for living remote AND I'm not going to pay extra for my satellite dish since I have low interest in those anyway)

Didn't think about going to the Dell site!

He said that he wiped it clean, reformatted it (1-TB drive) but he didn't say he updated anything beyond that.  Looking at the drive, there is nothing on it other than what appears to be base operations material.

I pulled the HD out of old PC and plugged it into my Thermaltake HD reader and am moving various things over.  (that sure comes in handy from time to time!)

49 minutes ago, Schu said:

I'm not even sure what 'industrial tank' means in relative terms to a personal computer... sounds like hearsay and hyperbole.

Dell’s T series Precision workstations are their high end professional series.

Depending on how it was spec’d out it might not hang with the latest and greatest but they tend to be really solid machines.

If you go to dell.com/support

enter the express service code on the sticker.

it should tell you the specs as shipped.

if you choose to download and run the dell assist program or whatever it’s called nowadays, it will scan and give you a list of drivers that can be updated to the latest version.

A lot of the T series have a sealed cooling system that does have some heat tubes with some coolant of some sort that passively circulates through the heat sink and then uses the onboard fan to exhaust the heat.

Not as quiet or efficient as a real water cooling setup with the separate radiator but it gets the job done and I’ve not seen a T series have issues with overheating.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I'm not even sure what 'industrial tank' means in relative terms to a personal computer... sounds like hearsay and hyperbole.

Think of the most overbuilt amp. Now make it a desktop PC. Meant for number crunching and not video games. For the people that make the video games. 

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

My PC died a couple days ago.  I've been using my phone for whatever internet lookup I need/want to do.  I'm realizing I need to buy another.  The one that died, I bought used.  My needs are low so I'm not going to pay several hundred or several thousands for the newest/bestest.

Poking around on craigslist, I found a Dell T5400 with monitor, keyboard, mouse (though I told him to keep the keyboard & mouse)

He carried on how this is an industrial tank, yada yada yada....  most of which went over my head.  When he opened the case though, I have to admit, seeing the cooling 'thing' above the processor (MUCH larger than any I've ever seen, looks like it might have some copper tubes which suggests it might have some liquid cooling)

Anyway, long story short, I was heading into town, saw this....so reached out to him and decided on the spot to get it.

$90

I figured I'd probably not be able to replace too many parts in my now dead pc for that much so what the heck.

Again, not knowing much about this T5400....  is it really the 'industrial tank' he said it was?  It doesn't really matter what the answer is, I'm now using it.  It seems to fit well as a replacement.  I DID need a pigtail to take my DVI for monitor into its other type of video plug but the pigtail was all I needed.

I also now have a nice foot rest as it's laying on its side under desk.

I have a T7400 and a T5400 that I have been using since 2015 with Win 10 pro.  I love these computers and will be very sad when I need to put them out to pasture, especially the & 7400 as it has a built in server and five hard drives.  32 and 16 gigs of ram, eight processors and the cases and internals are just built so well.  Just nice to look at. 

Bad news is you cannot install Win 11 and Win 10 Pro ends in Oct of 2025.  If they are still alive I will look at linux but I will need new PCs as in my line of work I must have Office (which I hate). 

36 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

eight processors

Eight processors....  lol.

I can type fast however.....

(I get they're for a purpose....  I'm just poking fun that an old 286 would suffice my typing needs...  I recall being told by a friend that for my needs (25 years ago) there would be ZERO need for me to even consider getting a 386.....  and now look at us.

IMO the worst part about that rig is that it's a Dell.  At least the older ones tend to not be laced with the problems their models from 2018 and onward do.  Would not spend a single penny on a Dell anymore if I could help it and definitely wouldn't ever buy one new.

For your uses, that machine should be fine for $90 though.  I'd say you did fine.

I beg to differ.  Bought a dell xps almost fully loaded after one of my custom pcs died and I didn't feel like fixing / upgrading for once.   Couldn't been happier.  16 core, 32 ram, Onboard graphics as I don't need anything else for this setup.  Couldn't be happier. Rock solid and got an incredible deal on it. Far cheaper than I could build for (granted those would be "name brand parts as opposed to generic)  

Well, it's nice being able to log in and use a keyboard to pester everyone instead of having to use my phone.  

:emotion-21:

I see people using their thumbs to type with on their phones.  My thumbs don't even know where the keys are.  My fingers do, but my thumbs are pretty dumb.  I am SLOW going when I'm typing on my phone (using index finger instead of thumbs) but I'm ok on a keyboard (probably not there now, but highest was 83 words/minute).  So it's nice having all this working.

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

I pulled the HD out of old PC and plugged it into my Thermaltake HD reader and am moving various things over.  (that sure comes in handy from time to time!)

Is there any reason why you can't just use the old PC's hard drive as the boot drive? If so, you would need to do nothing but power up the PC and go.