Jump to content

Computer guys....


Coytee
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Is there any reason why you can't just use the old PC's hard drive as the boot drive? If so, you would need to do nothing but power up the PC and go.

Actually, above is a quote from @Coytee, but could not find it :) 

No; you cannot use your old drive as a boot drive for the new PC. The boot drive is configured for all components in your "old" PC ... it won't even recognize the new one. It will only work on 100% identical machines.

 

If you want to try it go ahead ... you will not harm anything. As an aside, I recently put a cloned drive from a Lenovo Thinkpad T470s into an Intel NUC. Haha; it worked - and I have NO explanation as to "how."  It even updated the Win10 files. But, after restarting it several times it started going slower and slower and finally did not boot at all. But, I had sold the Thinkpad about 3 months ago and figured out Microsoft probably (as well as the buyer) would not be happy with me running a COPY of Win10 :)  So; reloaded it with a new Win10. But; still perplexed that it worked. Haha, anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Does it have Win 10 pro and if not what will it cost to get a copy? 

I think he said he installed a (legal) copy of Win 10.  I don't know if pro or not (or if they're all the same and that's just a name)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I think he said he installed a (legal) copy of Win 10.  I don't know if pro or not (or if they're all the same and that's just a name)

System, settings, about or system information.  Will tell you what version and if it's legit or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Does it have Win 10 pro and if not what will it cost to get a copy?

You can get Win10Pro for about $20-30 for a legal copy. Usually these are either recycled versions or versions given to developers (which they are NOT supposed to sell - but completely legal for use). Haha; do NOT buy the $1 ones :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

System, settings, about or system information.  Will tell you what version and if it's legit or not. 

 

(thank you I was wondering where to look)

 

 

Device name    DESKTOP-R6JMPVA
Processor    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5460  @ 3.16GHz   3.16 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB
Device ID    97BE231B-DC9A-4631-B6BA-6AFE531E7DB8
Product ID    00330-80000-00000-AA071
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display
 

 

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎8/‎13/‎2022
OS build    19042.631
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mouse I had with old pc, doesn't work well with this one.  It found it and downloaded the drivers for it and keyboard but it still doesn't always work (lag)

 

My other mouse, for my work PC, has a "1,2,3" button and if I have it on 1, my work pc (mouse) works, if I have it on 3 then it works fine on this new one.

 

So I'm still figuring out what to do there (I have others that are corded, I might plug one of them in)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Coytee said:

The mouse I had with old pc, doesn't work well with this one.  It found it and downloaded the drivers for it and keyboard but it still doesn't always work (lag)

 

My other mouse, for my work PC, has a "1,2,3" button and if I have it on 1, my work pc (mouse) works, if I have it on 3 then it works fine on this new one.

 

So I'm still figuring out what to do there (I have others that are corded, I might plug one of them in)

Order new wireless Logitech or other brand wireless mouse and keyboard.  All should be PNP and not require drivers for the most par.  Try a different USB port perhaps or several prior? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I beg to differ.  Bought a dell xps almost fully loaded after one of my custom pcs died and I didn't feel like fixing / upgrading for once.   Couldn't been happier.  16 core, 32 ram, Onboard graphics as I don't need anything else for this setup.  Couldn't be happier. Rock solid and got an incredible deal on it. Far cheaper than I could build for (granted those would be "name brand parts as opposed to generic)  

You'd be one of the few since there's thousands of reviews out there (myself included) on the poor build quality and bad air flow regulation on the 8930's and 8940's.  8940's were shipping out right and left with bad hardware that wasn't compatible with itself and disabled hyperthreading on processors where it was advertised.  Just bad overall architecture and parts that weren't built to last longer than you could throw them.

 

Dell has had a terrible track record in the consumer market for many *many* years.  Worse so for individuals who needed customer support.

 

The days when they built them "like tanks" hasn't been around since the days that Dimension Desktops were a thing.  And if that's what you're getting at, then I'd agree, they were built well and were tanks.  Hasn't been that way since that line was discontinued though.  The only reason industry is using those machines (Dells) today is because they're cheap - cheap enough that when they break (and they do and will) it's easy enough to just replace them than pay for support to sustain them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

You'd be one of the few since there's thousands of reviews out there (myself included) on the poor build quality and bad air flow regulation on the 8930's and 8940's.  8940's were shipping out right and left with bad hardware that wasn't compatible with itself and disabled hyperthreading on processors where it was advertised.  Just bad overall architecture and parts that weren't built to last longer than you could throw them.

 

Dell has had a terrible track record in the consumer market for many *many* years.  Worse so for individuals who needed customer support.

 

The days when they built them "like tanks" hasn't been around since the days that Dimension Desktops were a thing.  And if that's what you're getting at, then I'd agree, they were built well and were tanks.  Hasn't been that way since that line was discontinued though.  The only reason industry is using those machines (Dells) today is because they're cheap - cheap enough that when they break (and they do and will) it's easy enough to just replace them than pay for support to sustain them.

Easy enough then, worst case scaneario, I'll pay $60, swap the CPU cooler and call it mission accomplished.  Bios is fully updated, hyperthreading was enabled out of the box, overclocking is available for "k" processor in BIOS (no need). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

 overclocking is available for "k" processor in BIOS (no need). 

 

No it's not.  It hasn't been since the 30-series.  Dell's BIOS hasn't allowed for any overclocking or board modifications since at least then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Dell's BIOS hasn't allowed for any overclocking or board modifications since at least then.

This is what I replied to.  Was just giving my 2 cents on a Dell I happened to purchase that I am content with.  Had a hassle free return window but I won't be sending it back.  Anyhow, carry on.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've had really good luck with Dell for many years. I've bought the last few from the Dell Outlet. As far as support for 10 getting dropped soon, I have not been affected by that sort of thing so much? For example, I'm still using XP on one machine for a music server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

We've had really good luck with Dell for many years. I've bought the last few from the Dell Outlet. As far as support for 10 getting dropped soon, I have not been affected by that sort of thing so much? For example, I'm still using XP on one machine for a music server.

Microsoft says the retirement date for the final release of windows 10 is Oct 14, 2025.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...