Jump to content

Computer guys....


Coytee
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 8/13/2022 at 8:02 PM, Coytee said:

My PC died a couple days ago.  I've been using my phone for whatever internet lookup I need/want to do.  I'm realizing I need to buy another.  The one that died, I bought used.  My needs are low so I'm not going to pay several hundred or several thousands for the newest/bestest.

 

Poking around on craigslist, I found a Dell T5400 with monitor, keyboard, mouse (though I told him to keep the keyboard & mouse)

 

He carried on how this is an industrial tank, yada yada yada....  most of which went over my head.  When he opened the case though, I have to admit, seeing the cooling 'thing' above the processor (MUCH larger than any I've ever seen, looks like it might have some copper tubes which suggests it might have some liquid cooling)

 

Anyway, long story short, I was heading into town, saw this....so reached out to him and decided on the spot to get it.

 

$90

 

I figured I'd probably not be able to replace too many parts in my now dead pc for that much so what the heck. Also read this guide for hacks and cheats for gta 5 PS4.

 

Again, not knowing much about this T5400....  is it really the 'industrial tank' he said it was?  It doesn't really matter what the answer is, I'm now using it.  It seems to fit well as a replacement.  I DID need a pigtail to take my DVI for monitor into its other type of video plug but the pigtail was all I needed.

 

I also now have a nice foot rest as it's laying on its side under desk.

As a gamer, what has typically worked for me is to upgrade the video card every two years, and only other components if they are the system's bottleneck. Every four to six years, the motherboard, CPU, and RAM are upgraded. The PSU and case both get upgraded very infrequently. only when there has been a significant advancement in technology (e.g. jump from CRT to LCD, jump from 1080p to 2K and HDR, etc.) SSD only when required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2022 at 4:49 PM, Emile said:

Pretty steep learning curve for someone who is not very familiar with PC's :) 

Not steep at all if you get the right flavor. I could tell you which one, I've tried a lot of distros.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2022 at 4:27 PM, Emile said:

No; you cannot use your old drive as a boot drive for the new PC. The boot drive is configured for all components in your "old" PC ... it won't even recognize the new one. It will only work on 100% identical machines.

Sometimes... have totally moved a Windows 10 pc drive to another system (different vendor no less), and it worked fine.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Marvel said:

Sometimes... have totally moved a Windows 10 pc drive to another system (different vendor no less), and it worked fine.

Yep.

 

usually if it doesn’t recognize it at all it just means you have some UEFI or SATA compatibility settings set incorrectly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My advice since all I run is personal computer towers, I'm not a phone guy and fixing laptops isn't easy or fun is to get a blank tower; i.e. no operating system. Windows costs as much as or more than the computer itself. Then just install the latest Ubuntu LTS which is a Linux operating system.

 

I have had zero issues running programs even made for windows through wine which is a Windows emulator. My newest computer I just got due to my old one being damaged from electrical issues is the only time I have encountered a slight issue. I typically use Thunderbird for my emails but I was only getting half of my emails for whatever reason. If I log into my email account via my web browser I can get all my emails. I'm just using the web browser for now until I either straighten out Thunderbird or just download another email program to use.

 

Windows just plain sucks in my opinion and costs too much. You may even be able to get a free computer if someone lost their operating system and just went out an bought a new computer. Just re-format the hard disk and check it for corruption. If the HD checks out then just install Ubuntu from a dongle drive or via DVD with the iso burnt onto it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

Not steep at all if you get the right flavor. I could tell you which one, I've tried a lot of distros.

 

I have some older folks in their late 70's and 80's that don't know anything about computers except for how to use them for internet and music/photos etc.. that I switched them over to Ubuntu and they have no problems. For their purposes it works the same; open Firefox and use the internet is the extent most of them know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot what this thread was originally about, but here's my take:  Suffered the MS DOS and then the Windows because you know, the office.  Early adopter of the Chromebook ( you're probably using a Chrome browser now, right ? ) and could not be happier.  With the AdBlock, seldom see any ads, sometimes websites say we see what you're doing, whitelist us, just walk away from that. 

 

What really set me off the Windows was the impenetrable update process, rendering my computer useless and taking forever, and very vague useless descriptions about what the patches were for.  The Chromebook update is once monthly and totally transparent, both in effect on your computer and in documentation of what the update is adding.

 

Criticism of the Chromebook puzzles me:  I can easily open new spreadsheets and docs offline, and I can compose email offline.  And if one wants to get fancy they can dual boot to Linux or Ubuntu or Mint or whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Racer X said:

 

Criticism of the Chromebook puzzles me:  I can easily open new spreadsheets and docs offline, and I can compose email offline.  And if one wants to get fancy they can dual boot to Linux or Ubuntu or Mint or whatever.

 

I am not sure if they are all the same but Linda's Chromebook will not allow you to install third party software. When my desktop got destroyed I was in a panic to test some stuff and tried to install my test software onto it and was baffled why they don't allow this. For me this is a deal breaker but for most people looking to just surf the web and use email then it's probably not a problem.

 

I believe Chromebooks OS is a form of Linux Kernel which is why it's so stable and rare to get a virus.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, believe this can be bypassed by using Linux instead of Chrome OS, but have not tried, just heard about it.  Some of us are pretty simple and have no need for third party executables.  For most just surfing the forum or gmail or whatnot, it is the way to go.

 

Surprised the Apple fanbois have not yet chimed in....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2022 at 11:45 PM, Racer X said:

Forgot what this thread was originally about, but here's my take:  Suffered the MS DOS and then the Windows because you know, the office.  Early adopter of the Chromebook ( you're probably using a Chrome browser now, right ? ) and could not be happier.  With the AdBlock, seldom see any ads, sometimes websites say we see what you're doing, whitelist us, just walk away from that. 

 

What really set me off the Windows was the impenetrable update process, rendering my computer useless and taking forever, and very vague useless descriptions about what the patches were for.  The Chromebook update is once monthly and totally transparent, both in effect on your computer and in documentation of what the update is adding.

 

Criticism of the Chromebook puzzles me:  I can easily open new spreadsheets and docs offline, and I can compose email offline.  And if one wants to get fancy they can dual boot to Linux or Ubuntu or Mint or whatever. Check a guide about xx mean in a text.

Hm... Sincerity dictates that I might not be able to offer you a positive assessment of this. I don't know a lot about chromebooks because this is my first one. I've typically spent over $1300 on laptops. I've only recently discovered that I use my laptop nearly completely for web browsing and streaming, which is why I'm trying out a Chromebook.

I mainly enjoy it thus far. Despite feeling rather rigid, the keyboard has a lot of give (compared to MBP and previous Yoga). It feels a little cheep because of little things (bottom pads is long lines as which annoy me when I have it on my lap). There is a fan, and it does turn on occasionally. It turns out that 1080p is sufficient for my daily needs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...