Jump to content

La Scala Splits


CWOReilly
 Share

Recommended Posts

When we’re these made? Crossover AA, k55-v push pin, k77 square. Haven’t opened doghouses. 
Crossover redone?
Is it just black lacquer over the fiberglass? 
 

They sound great! Carver powered!

 

Thank you kind Klipsch friends!

EC5C15AC-3677-4C27-8ECC-301FF0403A6B.jpeg

B7B44E19-9492-42BC-BB5F-A2FB5880AE75.jpeg

488AB856-AF84-4521-BA5E-7CED683E0DAD.jpeg

B4D2639C-8770-400D-9B9E-1F2C028C04CB.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

When we’re these made?  

 

serial nos  show 1392   and 1275   , so  1978  or very early 1979 , you can check with the Klipsch Historian @JRH   He may be able to chime in ,  I had LSI speakers with a  later serial number with Round magnet K-77  

 

-yes ,    the speakers were painted  after the speakers were fibreglassed 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, OO1 said:

serial nos  show 1392   and 1275   , so  1978  or very early 1979 , you can check with the Klipsch Historian @JRH   He may be able to chime in ,  I had LSI speakers with a  later serial number with Round magnet K-77  

 

-yes ,    the speakers were painted  after the speakers were fibreglassed 

I was thinking late 70s. Thanks!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I was thinking late 70s. Thanks!

@JRH can give you  the   date  the speakers shipped from the Factory , the section  is  " Ask the Historian " 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

I’m assuming the crossover was rebuilt using what was readily available. Those piggybacked caps are a big giveaway. 
 

 

Not at all.  It was built with what was readily available.  My 1974 La Scalas’ AA crossovers came with a triple stack of capacitors in one spot.  I can only guess that the exact value PWK wanted wasn’t available at that time.  The crossovers looked much tidier after I replaced those 32-year-old capacitors with new Sonicaps from Bob Crites (RIP).  The speakers sounded better, too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The La Scala Industrials came in several models:  one-piece, split, painted, fibreglassed and painted.  The fibreglassed models have a knobbly finish that’s easy to spot.  Your speakers appear to have the smooth finish of painted plywood, i. e., non-fibreglassed.  Which looks better?  Up to you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The LSIs have K-43 woofers, yours should have the PWK dustcaps (cool) but you will never see them unless you dust out the doghouse. The K-43 really rocks in these. 

 

The re-cap is a good thing, I could hardly hear the tweeters on my AAs until after a re-cap.

 

If yours are the fibreglass version you are really blessed, less resonance, love the metal terminal plates and the big stencilled Klipsch logos on the sides.

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Islander  @geoff.

 

What confused me with the crossover was the 4 caps rather than 3. Then I realized the neon green zip ties and hot glue. Not exactly what I would have expected from Hope, Bob (RIP), or from JEM. My 75 LS AAs didn’t have big oil cans and were surely built in Hope with what they could get. 
 

As for the cabinets they are fiberglass.  Which I really like. I’m considering some minor restoration such as painting the HF face and the tops since they show the most wear. I wanna keep the stenciled sides. Need a new stencil for the small Klipsch on the front. Also want to clean up the trim. I know it’s anodized, but its way worn and I’m not sure what route I’ll take. Probably just light sanding to make it more “even” on the faces. 
 

All in all it’s how they sound and I’m pleased. Hard to say if they sound better than my 75 LS though. Different room, different amp, etc. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chassell said:

I'm gonna differ with those that say they're painted. Hard to tell from the pic, but in good light it appears that it's black thread embedded in the fiberglass resin that gives them the black color.fiberglass.thumb.jpg.0d509974517e9f810cdf44f703e9bd89.jpg


They are fiberglass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CWOReilly said:

@Islander  @geoff.

 

What confused me with the crossover was the 4 caps rather than 3. Then I realized the neon green zip ties and hot glue. Not exactly what I would have expected from Hope, Bob (RIP), or from JEM. My 75 LS AAs didn’t have big oil cans and were surely built in Hope with what they could get. 
 

As for the cabinets they are fiberglass.  Which I really like. I’m considering some minor restoration such as painting the HF face and the tops since they show the most wear. I wanna keep the stenciled sides. Need a new stencil for the small Klipsch on the front. Also want to clean up the trim. I know it’s anodized, but its way worn and I’m not sure what route I’ll take. Probably just light sanding to make it more “even” on the faces. 
 

All in all it’s how they sound and I’m pleased. Hard to say if they sound better than my 75 LS though. Different room, different amp, etc. 
 

 

Highly doubtful those crossovers were built by Hope, Bob, or that other entity.  A few better close up photos would be good.

 

Raise the top hats about the height of a milk crate and you will have a much better appreciation of how good they can sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Highly doubtful those crossovers were built by Hope, Bob, or that other entity.  A few better close up photos would be good.

 

Raise the top hats about the height of a milk crate and you will have a much better appreciation of how good they can sound.

Minus the caps they are AA. Probably just a recap by some random guy. Only had them open to address immediately known issues (broken binding post and a mud dobber in the horn). When I open them again soon I’ll send out pics. 
 

In the space I have them in which is crazy small I’m not sure about raising them up. But. Once in their more permanent home I’ll be sure to experiment. Thanks for tip. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

As for the cabinets they are fiberglass.  Which I really like. I’m considering some minor restoration such as painting the HF face and the tops since they show the most wear. I wanna keep the stenciled sides. Need a new stencil for the small Klipsch on the front. Also want to clean up the trim. I know it’s anodized, but its way worn and I’m not sure what route I’ll take. Probably just light sanding to make it more “even” on the faces. 

Are the two stencil’s still available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CWOReilly said:

I don’t know. Probably not difficult to make if you have a vinyl cutter. I don’t know anyone right now. 

I have a pair very similar to yours. I want to paint them, but don’t want to cover up the stencil. Let me know if you find someone able to do it. I’d appreciate it. Just an FYI, if you open up the trap door on the doghouse, be ready for a fight. It took me about an hour to pry the door open without damaging anything. The gasket has turned to tar. 
A88472B9-0174-46A3-9C8B-3F7655329F70.thumb.jpeg.102a6203d286437273def3ff77852590.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@nickyboy6100 That’s why I haven’t tried to open mine. I would think that as long as it seals it doesn’t matter what you use to replace the old seal(s). I’d prefer something easier to remove. Just in case. 
 

As for the stencils if we can’t find someone to make them for us I guess we’ll have to cut our own. Frisket film and an xacto knife. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...