La Scala Splits

CWOReilly

I was curious to see which woofers were in mine. Turned out they are K43’s. My top sections are consecutive serial numbers, but one had a K-77 round and the other was a K-77 square. Crossovers are getting re-capped and I bought Dave’s tweeter’s to replace the K-77’s. A small project has turned into something bigger. Luckily I have another set to listen to while I work. 
The stencils definitely could be made. I was just wanting to save some time if there was a template out there. 
4F817D46-769D-430A-AA50-10C5C285370C.thumb.jpeg.a47375e5a8cb5e3d5bb1c4b3bd10d5a9.jpeg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, billybob said:

Anything wrong with covering the Klipsch, painting them before or after painting with an artist's brush. Just trimming in with paint...

I’ve at times in my life considered myself an artist, but I don’t think it’d look right. I even thought of masking them up, but that wouldn’t look right either. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

... and I bought Dave’s tweeter’s to replace the K-77’s. 

I wasn’t going to steal anyone’s thunder, and I know everything is up to the individual’s preference, BUT...

If you are going to put any money into any mod on a vintage pair of La Scalas, after even an inexpensive re-cap of the crossovers, THIS is going to be the one that is going to give you the biggest bang for the buck.

Combined with the K-43 that comes stock in the LSIs, the SMAHL and DE-120 tweeter combination take it to another level. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I wasn’t going to steal anyone’s thunder, and I know everything is up to the individual’s preference, BUT...

If you are going to put any money into any mod on a vintage pair of La Scalas, after even an inexpensive re-cap of the crossovers, THIS is going to be the one that is going to give you the biggest bang for the buck.

Combined with the K-43 that comes stock in the LSIs, the SMAHL and DE-120 tweeter combination take it to another level. 

Couldn’t agree more. I had a pair of Dave’s Mahl version 1 in my first set of La Scala’s. Loved them. 

• Like 1

I think we are all on the same path in this forum, unfortunately or not we all just really need to walk it ourselves before we can appreciate the steps others talk about. It was a giant step for me to spend more than a weeks take home pay on my first pair of La Scalas. And like @Racer X said, I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

I remember a PM with another member years ago where we both came to the conclusion if we had just taken all the money spent along the journey so far, at that time, we could have bought a pair of Jubilees had we known where we were headed.

Thankfully the price of Jubilees is now far more than I spent by a factor of at least three so I don’t feel so bad anymore. Or so I tell myself, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

Inclined to agree. I happen to have a pair slated for a pair of HI, but the splits appeared…… Currently using the SMAHL in CW and LS in the living room. I can’t say enough good things. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

@nickyboy6100 That’s why I haven’t tried to open mine. I would think that as long as it seals it doesn’t matter what you use to replace the old seal(s). I’d prefer something easier to remove. Just in case. 

As for the stencils if we can’t find someone to make them for us I guess we’ll have to cut our own. Frisket film and an xacto knife. 

I’m surprised that a sign shop, who make various cuts of vinyl, would not be able to make the stencils you want.  Just my humble opinion, of course, but I’d call every shop in your city if necessary.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

There was another member on here that just refreshed a pair of KP-301s. He had some skills and connections in that department. He had some ”Klipsch” logos made up. Coincidentally, like the ones that normally grace the bottom right corner of the LSI bass bins, and between the tweeter and squawker on later model LSIs.

Lemme have a look...  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Islander said:

I’m surprised that a sign shop, who make various cuts of vinyl, would not be able to make the stencils you want.  Just my humble opinion, of course, but I’d call every shop in your city if necessary.  Good luck! 

I just don’t personally know a sign shop anymore. I’m sure I’ll find something. 

I will keep an eye out for stencils. A sign shop is a good idea. To be honest, I’d rather them be all black, but I don’t have the heart to paint over the Klipsch logo and not reapply. 
it will be a couple weeks before I’m ready to paint. That should give me time to find something. 

45 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Plus one on the DE-120. The Crites version is definitely a step up from the K77 and going one step further with Daves SMAHL is even better. Best upgrade I think I have ever done (at least in the top 2 or 3)

image.jpeg.71a126e5590342431485d6f2740d2470.jpeg

At my other house my nearest neighbor is over a quarter mile away. I can’t wait. 😉

• Like 1