La Scala Splits

CWOReilly

On 8/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, geoff. said:

It was a giant step for me to spend more than a weeks take home pay on my first pair of La Scalas. 

I bought my first Klipsch speakers LaScala new when I graduated High School.  I broke up with my girlfriend and saved the resulting windfall from not having to entertain her on weekends for a whole year.  Then I spent the entirety of my savings on LaScala, I'm sure my parents thought it inappropriately frivolous.  Totally worth it.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:10 PM, geoff. said:

I remember a PM with another member years ago where we both came to the conclusion if we had just taken all the money spent along the journey so far, at that time, we could have bought a pair of Jubilees had we known where we were headed.

Yeah, but where is the fun in that ?  It's the journey....

• 2 weeks later...

5EC2368E-7008-4420-97B1-0F6F1D858A98.thumb.jpeg.1656733ef50aa5994f03e577457ca6be.jpegI’ve got the bass bins painted and started to reinstall the trim. Just a word of advice, don’t take the trim off. It was a total pain. I didn’t realize that it was glued along with all the screws. I ended up using plastic trim tools, razor blade and small finishing hammer to get it off. I patched all the holes so the screws would have something to catch when I reinstalled the trim. Also using adhesive as Klipsch did from the factory. They are turning out really nice. I’ve had a few larger sets of  Klipsch pro speakers, but these splits are just so cool. Really enjoying the process. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Just a word of advice, don’t take the trim off. It was a total pain. I didn’t realize that it was glued along with all the screws. I ended up using plastic trim tools, razor blade and small finishing hammer to get it off. I patched all the holes so the screws would have something to catch when I reinstalled the trim. Also using adhesive as Klipsch did from the factory. 

I took DaveA's advice and placed a block of wood alongside the trim and used a hammer to break the adhesive bond to separate the trim from the cabinet. Easy peasy. I elected not to use adhesive when reattaching the trim as they'll no longer get the rough handling that a pair of true road speakers would.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homatose said:

Fantastic work.

Thanks man. I’ll post some more photo’s when I finish the tops. I’ve redone a home version set of La Scala’s recently, but I wasn’t prepared for how labor intensive the LSI’s were going to be. No wonder Klipsch doesn’t make them anymore. Still a very enjoyable process and very happy so far with the results. 

• Like 1

Tops are done. Finished them last night. I installed large rubber feet on them to raise the tweeter height a little. I also used stainless hardware on the mid horn and tweeter attachments. I have some black hardware, but really like the looks of the stainless. MookieStl was gracious enough to send me stencils for the Klipsch logos on the front of the tops and side of the bass bins. They arrived today. Perfect timing! Thanks again man! DaveA refreshed the crossovers for me with JEM capacitors. Also new tweeter from DaveA.  I’ll be starting a thread on my impressions of the JEM capacitors as I have been listening to them in my other set of home La Scala’s for the last 2 weeks. As far as the tweeter goes. It’s my 3rd set from Dave and probably the best upgrade you can do to a La Scala. A1B006B8-7E71-427A-B030-CE85767DDFBC.thumb.jpeg.3b84ca89d7c243841229a7767b610ae4.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2