What are your favorite vintage SS amps?

Klipschguy

13 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

If you haven't read them yet...lot's of posts with forum mystery and intrigue about a little modified D-45 nicknamed "The Duke" owned and passed on by several members (not sure it's current whereabouts)  I find them very entertaining,  Here's one:

I still have it... sold my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps (had said I would never sell them).

The Duke works well and I intend to keep it. It works well powering my Heresy IIs, and also was fine with my La Scalas amd MWM bass cabinets, which are now gone. Intent is to buildeither new LS or Peavey FH-1 cabs and use a 2 inch throat driver and digital crossover.

I have the crossover (dbx venue 360) and 2 amps (the Duke and XLi800). Things keep getting in the way. Am having prostate surgery in a couple weeks, so all projects are on hold for now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I still have it... sold my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps (had said I would never sell them).

The Duke works well and I intend to keep it. It works well powering my Heresy IIs, and also was fine with my La Scalas amd MWM bass cabinets, which are now gone. Intent is to buildeither new LS or Peavey FH-1 cabs and use a 2 inch throat driver and digital crossover.

I have the crossover (dbx venue 360) and 2 amps (the Duke and XLi800). Things keep getting in the way. Am having prostate surgery in a couple weeks, so all projects are on hold for now.

I am kinda working well ..

Nice to have a Product with my Name onnit. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Yeouchhh ...

Friend just got done with 

that the recovery time he was told was waaaay optimistic

Just so you know

1 minute ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Yeouchhh ...

Friend just got done with 

that the recovery time he was told was waaaay optimistic

Just so you know

BIL had the robotic done 17 years ago. His recovery was reasonably quick and had zero issues. Anyway... back to amps.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 5:29 PM, hanksjim1 said:

While you're searching for the high end classic SS amp, swap in an inexpensive Crown D-45 or D-75 (regular or "A" versions)...they are bulletproof, quiet, cheap and have XLR connections for good grounding...good enough for many studios in the day.  I have tried on Khorns and LaScalas with good results.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:04 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

Make sure they are the "A" models Much improvement there

The crown recommendation is interesting.  Sadly, I have never heard one.  What improvements does the A version have?  It looks the only the D75 (not A) has unbalanced inputs. 

The "A" version has a combination balanced XLR/1/4" jack inputs.  I've used rca to phono jack cables without issues on the "A" (I don't believe they were balanced, others may chime in)

Some of the later A versions were made in China, USA models preferred

The older one has different speaker connections (banana plug/twist on post vs. simple screws)

...and the older version has a mono/stereo switch on the back which was moved inside in the A versions (which necessitated taking the cover off to change switch settings to enable bridged mono)

here's more:

https://kenrockwell.com/audio/crown/d-75.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McIntosh MC2105.

I foolishly sold mine last year while I was in the midst of buying madness acquiring McIntosh tube gear(MC30, MC225, MC240, MX110, C11) within a few month period. Figured that was it for solid state, and I had a MC2120 as a spare that I couldn't seem to unload(people don't like vintage ss Mac with those meters). Well, it became clear to me over the last few months that I really wish I hadn't. This amp is special and so seemingly tailored to my listening preferences, and so perfectly matches up to the MX110z(or C11) pre, not to mention arguably one of the best looking amps out there, that it became evident that I needed to reacquire. Search on, and this week a local Bay Area musician(played prominent roles with both Santana, Eddie Money &  Chris Isaak) was selling one for a pal of his in financial and health straits.  He was able to provide a full(and colorful) history of the amp, and the cleaning up/checking up on it to get it back into shape. It was local, it was selling for a great price(IMO), and he agreed to deliver it. A no brainer. Back here today, looking spiffy, and being used to drive a pair of AR3's. My La Scala's are driven by the MC30's, and that's a combo I ain't planning on changing anytime soon.

00l0l_54TU2V9LSKTz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

• Like 3

Picked this up at auction this spring, gone over and another check off on my bucket list.  

McIntosh_4100_Receiver_gone_over_and_wor

Back in the day I wanted one of these soooo bad but $3k was crazy.  Made from 1978-85 I think but it pairs so well w/my old Thorens TD-165 and my 1981 Heresy.  Has that sweet McIntosh voice and sounds fantastic.  Nice to just push that button and go back to a SS system in the morning over coffee.  Things get serious, I just step on the gas and the LS if I want to spin.  Just something off my bucket list I felt like doing.  Simple.  :)

• Like 4

It may not compare to the posh amps I see here, but I am using a TEAC A-H500i with my Klipsch Heresy IIIs currently, and I am extremely satisfied with the combination.

The TEAC is a serious amp, dual-mono circuit, toroidal transformer and solid build. It's pleasant to use, sounds fine and hasn't made me regret the Pass INT-25 I used to own.

It costed €220 and caused my lost of interest in expensive audio.

TEAC-A-H500-1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, svberger said:

McIntosh MC2105.

I foolishly sold mine last year while I was in the midst of buying madness acquiring McIntosh tube gear(MC30, MC225, MC240, MX110, C11) within a few month period. Figured that was it for solid state, and I had a MC2120 as a spare that I couldn't seem to unload(people don't like vintage ss Mac with those meters). Well, it became clear to me over the last few months that I really wish I hadn't. This amp is special and so seemingly tailored to my listening preferences, and so perfectly matches up to the MX110z(or C11) pre, not to mention arguably one of the best looking amps out there, that it became evident that I needed to reacquire. Search on, and this week a local Bay Area musician(played prominent roles with both Santana, Eddie Money &  Chris Isaak) was selling one for a pal of his in financial and health straits.  He was able to provide a full(and colorful) history of the amp, and the cleaning up/checking up on it to get it back into shape. It was local, it was selling for a great price(IMO), and he agreed to deliver it. A no brainer. Back here today, looking spiffy, and being used to drive a pair of AR3's. My La Scala's are driven by the MC30's, and that's a combo I ain't planning on changing anytime soon.

00l0l_54TU2V9LSKTz_1320MM_1200x900.jpg

I hear you; my Mac 2105 is the bee’s knees!

BTW, I think the meters are fantastic; you can watch them dance to the music. They also provide useful information. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Weltfaul said:

It may not compare to the posh amps I see here, but I am using a TEAC A-H500i with my Klipsch Heresy IIIs currently, and I am extremely satisfied with the combination.

The TEAC is a serious amp, dual-mono circuit, toroidal transformer and solid build. It's pleasant to use, sounds fine and hasn't made me regret the Pass INT-25 I used to own.

It costed €220 and caused my lost of interest in expensive audio.

TEAC-A-H500-1.jpeg

the button or knob seem chrome plated?

• Like 2