7.1 Home Theater/Surround Sound & 2 Channel Speaker Setup

JoeJoeThe3rd

On 8/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, JoeJoeThe3rd said:

let me know if you’re actually able to view the video

The link you posted does not connect with your pictures, when I just tried.

All the digital cameras and/or phone cameras I have used have an edit menu which allows easy picture re-sizing. Or if I send a picture to my laptop, I just right click on the picture to edit and re-size down to 500 x 360 pixels for a 100kb (forum friendly) file size.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The link you posted does not connect with your pictures, when I just tried.

All the digital cameras and/or phone cameras I have used have an edit menu which allows easy picture re-sizing. Or if I send a picture to my laptop, I just right click on the picture to edit and re-size down to 500 x 360 pixels for a 100kb (forum friendly) file size.

This is sickening and totally vexing lol. Well I got everything setup except my room and the where I have my sub I’m having a terrible null/suck out of bass I need to fix. Good thing it’s such a beast with unlimited amounts of power lol. I’m pretty happy with it I will figure it out to share with you guys soon thanks btw. 

• Like 1

A powerful subwoofer is great, but it still has to contend with in-room physics.  Where is your listening position?  Ideally, it should be about 1/3 of the way into the room, which will place you far away enough from the back wall to reduce the effect of reflections, but not so far into the room to be in a bass null.  This is usually present in the centre of a room, so you don’t want to be sitting there.

Bass peaks can also occur.  I had a 400-watt sub just inboard of the Left speaker, and everything sounded fine for years.  Then I replaced it with a higher-level 850-watt sub, placed in the same location.  The bass went much deeper, and it sounded great, but now I had a huge bass peak just in front of the sofa.  Huge, like 20 dB louder than the sound level just a few feet away.  At first, I wondered why my favourite Net Radio station had really dialled up the bass, then I found that it was limited to a small area in the room.  I’d read that having two subs evens out the bass level throughout the room, so I went ahead with buying a second matching sub.  I located it inboard of the Right speaker, and now the bass level was consistent throughout the listening area.

Subwoofer positioning can be challenging.  Does your sub have a room correction feature, where it can put out test tones and equalize itself to produce as even a sound as possible?  That’s very helpful.  Often, the best position is not the most convenient one, and the most convenient position produces really uneven or otherwise undesirable sounds.  A sound level meter can be a big help.  There’s lots of available info on subwoofer positioning, and even some YouTube videos.  A Google search should bring up lots of helpful information for you.

19 hours ago, Islander said:

A powerful subwoofer is great, but it still has to contend with in-room physics.  Where is your listening position?  Ideally, it should be about 1/3 of the way into the room, which will place you far away enough from the back wall to reduce the effect of reflections, but not so far into the room to be in a bass null.  This is usually present in the centre of a room, so you don’t want to be sitting there.

Bass peaks can also occur.  I had a 400-watt sub just inboard of the Left speaker, and everything sounded fine for years.  Then I replaced it with a higher-level 850-watt sub, placed in the same location.  The bass went much deeper, and it sounded great, but now I had a huge bass peak just in front of the sofa.  Huge, like 20 dB louder than the sound level just a few feet away.  At first, I wondered why my favourite Net Radio station had really dialled up the bass, then I found that it was limited to a small area in the room.  I’d read that having two subs evens out the bass level throughout the room, so I went ahead with buying a second matching sub.  I located it inboard of the Right speaker, and now the bass level was consistent throughout the listening area.

Subwoofer positioning can be challenging.  Does your sub have a room correction feature, where it can put out test tones and equalize itself to produce as even a sound as possible?  That’s very helpful.  Often, the best position is not the most convenient one, and the most convenient position produces really uneven or otherwise undesirable sounds.  A sound level meter can be a big help.  There’s lots of available info on subwoofer positioning, and even some YouTube videos.  A Google search should bring up lots of helpful information for you.

I have arc genesis on my anthem avr and I really also want to get into rew. Idk when I will could be some time I’m sitting about 1/3 into the room from the back wall and my sub is up against the left wall about 2/3s into the room from my front wall about half but not quite . There’s Definitely a big null where I’m sitting I’m guessing but hard to know until I get into rew or arc and run some sweeps.  From  where my sub was in my last house and my mlp the bass was ridiculous I need some time adjusting to my new spot. I do want to move it and probably will it will just be hard to move it and find a spot for its 300lbs and Dimensions (HxWxD)41″ x "39.5″ x "20.5" (HxWxD) so it’s basically a really big refrigerator. It’s a 4000watt rms dual 18” beast. Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

Wow!  That’s like a sawed-off Jubilee, with not that much sawed off.  It’s around the same width as the original Jubilee, and nearly as tall.  The obvious thing to do would be to get a furniture dolly, or maybe two, so you can try a few different spots for your mighty sub without needing a man and a boy to move it even a short distance.  Just maneuvering a 300-pound box onto a dolly could be risky.  Use best practices so you won’t be sorry later.

Have you heard of the “sub crawl”?  That’s where you put the sub at your listening position and then walk or crawl around the room until you find the spot where you hear the best bass response.  That’s where you want to place your sub.  Typically, one would put the sub on the furniture where you sit, but that wouldn’t work well with your sub.  Instead, take the chair or sofa out of the room, or at least out of the way so the sub can occupy your usual seating space.  That way, you don’t have to try the subwoofer in numerous locations, just once in your seating spot, and then move it to the ideal location, move your seat back to where it belongs, and you’re all set.  Hopefully.  There are YouTube videos about this.

How did you wind up with the monster sub?  Was it a super deal at the time?  It’s intended for high volume use in a very large room, which is not what it will be doing now, right?  A 2000-watt sub would be nearly as loud, and still have way more power than you can realistically use.  Another option would be a pair of 1000-watt subs, which would give you an even sound field, and a lot more flexibility in placing them.  Just something to ponder. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Islander said:

Wow!  That’s like a sawed-off Jubilee, with not that much sawed off.  It’s around the same width as the original Jubilee, and nearly as tall.  The obvious thing to do would be to get a furniture dolly, or maybe two, so you can try a few different spots for your mighty sub without needing a man and a boy to move it even a short distance.  Just maneuvering a 300-pound box onto a dolly could be risky.  Use best practices so you won’t be sorry later.

Have you heard of the “sub crawl”?  That’s where you put the sub at your listening position and then walk or crawl around the room until you find the spot where you hear the best bass response.  That’s where you want to place your sub.  Typically, one would put the sub on the furniture where you sit, but that wouldn’t work well with your sub.  Instead, take the chair or sofa out of the room, or at least out of the way so the sub can occupy your usual seating space.  That way, you don’t have to try the subwoofer in numerous locations, just once in your seating spot, and then move it to the ideal location, move your seat back to where it belongs, and you’re all set.  Hopefully.  There are YouTube videos about this.

How did you wind up with the monster sub?  Was it a super deal at the time?  It’s intended for high volume use in a very large room, which is not what it will be doing now, right?  A 2000-watt sub would be nearly as loud, and still have way more power than you can realistically use.  Another option would be a pair of 1000-watt subs, which would give you an even sound field, and a lot more flexibility in placing them.  Just something to ponder. 

Yes I know of the sub crawl, thank you for reminding me it’s since lipped my

mind and will probably implement this technique on finding the proper location for it. I had a sw112 klipsch sub I believe and loved it for years. Was looking to upgrade and wanted the biggest and best I could find and went with a pb16. I liked it a lot but it still wasn't enough then came across jtr. I remember before just looking at that sub and videos of it just thinking if only I had that beast and how cool it felt imaging having it and that it would be all the power I needed. My goal was to get the most power possible but still retaining fidelity, another huge want was to have a sub that could go sub sonic and do that with the utmost authority. I found that with the captivator4000ulf being tuned to 10.5hz and being able to do that at around 110db and going flat in most rooms to single digits and maxing at around 130db. Mind you this was measured out side on databass so inroom response would be even more considering room gain. All that aside I wanted a beast I wanted something that I would never need to upgrade from, and I didn’t care about fit and finish some people might hate the look of it but I love it, pure power. I don’t care about room size or doing things by the book in some instances considering I’m running 4 rf7iiis and this sub in a 19x11 room roughly with 8’ ceilings. I don’t want the room to dictate what size speakers I get. I guess if I’m giving up some audio quality so be it. Maybe someday I’ll try something smaller to see the benefits. But I wanted end game, doing copious amounts of research and the final straw was my woman being on board and pushing me to get exactly what I wanted and to not settle. Lol and no it wasn't on sale or anything when I bought it they were going for about 4 grand and I got him to give me a 5% discount and a better deal on shipping. Which right after I bought it he raised the price to 5 grand and my rf7iiis raised in price too so I thought I made the purchases and a good time. But believe me this sub is worth every single penny and really when you feel and hear it’s performance it’s a steal. I have furniture slides which actually work very well with it making it so I can basically push it on my own the hard part it just getting it off the auralex acoustic base it’s on to rest on the sliders. Thank you again for your info I will implement the sub craw technique. I wish you could hear it’s power and the quality of bass it’s other worldly. I also am very passionate about movies which I’m basically speechless about like music in regards to it’s performance. Words don’t do it justice. In short I’m a mad man I will most likely have more than one in due time. There’s people that run 16 of these in there room!!! Hope all is well cheers!!

B8619874-42C5-4690-95EA-613F5C53B265.jpeg

• Like 2