Audio Research I/50 vs Decware (int.amp) La Scala- has anyone compared

Ted S

Hello all!

I am thinking of upgrading / changing my system.  Currently I am running a Fisher 500B - sounds pretty damn good, especially with my vinyl.  The streaming music through the DAC is not quite as good.  

I guess the biggest question is if I change the system, will i notice a huge difference in sound. Does spending 4-5K make that big of difference? Will the La Scala's sound even better?

With all the buz going on with Decware, i checked them out online and comminucated with them (he recommended his 5-6watt amp).  I would also have to purchase a phono stage. All in all the decware would be around 4-4500.  Wait time is 1 to 2 years 

I was also looking at the Audio Research I/50 that came out last year.  ($5K)  So far it gets good reviews.  There is a shop that sells them about 45 min from me. I think i will go take a look / listen to soon.   The downside is they do not carry klipsch speakers, so hard to really tell what its going to sound like on mine. Does anyone on here have the I/50 or heard it with the La Scalas or similar.  Maybe i can talk the shop into bringing their demo over to my house to hook up to my system. 

I would hate to drop that kind of coin and not be wowed.  The fisher does sound really good, but i have never really compared it to anything else. (tube wise)

Sure would like to hear your thoughts, especially those that are using the stuff i mentioned. 

Thanks and have a great day 

Ted 

Edited by Ted S

3 hours ago, Ted S said:

Hello all!

I am thinking of upgrading / changing my system.  Currently I am running a Fisher 500B - sounds pretty damn good, especially with my vinyl.  The streaming music through the DAC is not quite as good.  

I guess the biggest question is if I change the system, will i notice a huge difference in sound. Does spending 4-5K make that big of difference? Will the La Scala's sound even better?

Ted 

No hands on experience. I am sure buying new gear is going to sound different. All amplifiers sound different from each other some just subtle so but different. Better, I am not so sure. It is all in the ears of the listener. In other words you sound like you already have good stuff but all of us like to play with new toys if we have some money to spend.

In my opinion vinyl is always going to sound better but I do not have one of those expensive DAC's for a comparison. Just a run of the mill Schiit one. 

Geez whatever you do don't get rid of the 500B.  It's a jewel, appreciating in value every day. A great receiver(assuming properly updated) and about as perfect match with the LS's that I could think of.

I've owned and liked Decware. Excellent company, excellent amps. But those Fisher amps/receivers from their golden period are special like very few others.

• Like 2

Years ago when I first began to roll equipment with my Cornwalls, a Decware Zen Triode was the first amp I tried. To this day and many amps later, the Zen is still the best overall sound of any, including an older AR. The only issue was a lack of full blast power. Now I have twin MC-30's that I enjoy very much. Maybe one more to try. Benchmark - on a glowing recommendation from a trusted and dear friend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Once one rises from the level of BreastBuy crapola ....

There is not that much difference unless you are one of those people that listen for Defects, rather than listen to enjoy music

You should get out more often……

• Like 1

I'm sure it's beautifully made, hence a fair amount of pride-of-ownership will accrue to all who own one.  But sound better?

And seriously? $5K for an integrated that doesn't even have a balance control??  ..Personally, given your budget I'd find a Mac dealer (a sister company to AR, I believe) and buy one of their integrated amps.  ..They all have balance controls, tone controls, and a mono switch - common sense features that make listening to all kinds of music of varying recording quality more enjoyable.  

Or an Accuphase or Luxman as they also have these sensible features.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

I'm sure it's beautifully made, hence a fair amount of pride-of-ownership will accrue to all who own one.  But sound better?

And seriously? $5K for an integrated that doesn't even have a balance control??  ..Personally, given your budget I'd find a Mac dealer (a sister company to AR, I believe) and buy one of their integrated amps.  ..They all have balance controls, tone controls, and a mono switch - common sense features that make listening to all kinds of music of varying recording quality more enjoyable.  

Or an Accuphase or Luxman as they also have these sensible features.

I haven't once needed a balance control or tone controls... YMMV, I suppose!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

I tend to think of it as a nice band aid for people who haven’t addressed system synergy and room issues.

I'll share a quote gleaned from another Forum.  This from Alan Shaw of Harbeth.  ..I'm betting PWK would say something similar

"One of the greatest mysteries and acts of insanity in the audio business was the deletion of tone controls from hifi amplifiers from about the 1980s with some utterly discreditable mumbo jumbo that 'tone controls are no part of a hifi system'. I can categorically assure you that a properly designed and executed tone control circuit does not degrade the signal quality and never has done... Tone controls were deleted from hifi amps as a marketing gimmick to attract a new 'minimalist' consumer away from amps laden with buttons and controls."

(thank you Keiron99 on Steve Hoffman forum)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

I'll share a quote gleaned from another Forum.  This from Alan Shaw of Harbeth.  ..I'm betting PWK would say something similar

"One of the greatest mysteries and acts of insanity in the audio business was the deletion of tone controls from hifi amplifiers from about the 1980s with some utterly discreditable mumbo jumbo that 'tone controls are no part of a hifi system'. I can categorically assure you that a properly designed and executed tone control circuit does not degrade the signal quality and never has done... Tone controls were deleted from hifi amps as a marketing gimmick to attract a new 'minimalist' consumer away from amps laden with buttons and controls."

Sounds right. It's similar to the live audio world. When these digital mixers hit the market, the word from the manufacturers was that they were 'better'. They actually degraded the sound, and many drummers have thrown their sticks at the sound man that tried to prove otherwise.

• Like 1