Zeppelin Noises

Racer  X

Perhaps this is more suitable for that sleazy Lounge area, but I prefer to hang with the cool kids in 2-Channel and Tech Mods.

Back in the day when I was cranking the Zeppelin on the LaScala, I could not help but notice my phone would start ringing soon after "The Ocean" really got going.  I would quickly roll back the volume to listen for the second or third ring, but it wasn't there.  Well, it took a few listens to finally realize the ringing phone in "The Ocean" is on the recording, it is the phone in the control room ringing twice, I believe mid first lead solo.  So after that, rather than be fooled into turning my stereo down, I would anticipate.

Second, never really noticed on the original recording, but when Jimmy Page was remastering the Zeppelin in 1993, he mentioned the squeaky bass pedal in "Since I've Been Loving You", he could not get rid of it, and it bothered him still.  Well, sure enough, plain as day, Bonham's squeaky bass pedal is well up in the mix and easily apparent in the soft opening, now I can not unhear it.

I'm sure there are many others, Zeppelin and otherwise (No, the airplane droning off in "Black Country Woman" does not count, other than Robert Plant croaking "Nah, Leave it in" before the take begins.)

• Like 3

Um, which McCartney album ?  Really liked Back to the Egg, 1979, just when I started stereo and buying records.  And his Best of, all good.  Oddly a lot of those songs like Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey, Live and Let Die, and Let 'Em In   are way too sad for me to listen to today.

I need ELO's Mr. Blue Sky and M's Pop Muzik, happy songs make me happy.

• Like 1

Apparently the drone intro / transition from "Friends" to "Celebration Day" on Zeppelin III was the result of mistakenly erased tape by a studio tech who fled the studio upon realizing his mistake.  Jimmy Page called the impromptu drone replacement "Salvaging".

Believe the intro to "Celebration Day" can be heard on The Song Remains the Same movie.

I've told this before...  side story, I live out in the boonies, last house on dead end road and I'm in the woods.  NOBODY has any reason to be here unless they are expected, lost or......up to no good.

House was dark, it was dark outside.  I had a Thelonius Monk CD in once (forget which one, which track)  Had it at a pleasant volume when suddenly, I heard some faint voices outside.  I had seen no lights coming up driveway so the only conclusion was that someone(s) were sneaking around outdoors in the dark.  This could be bad.

Well..advantage is skewed to me since I'm in the house, in the dark (I usually walk around in the dark) so I know where all the floor obstructions are.  I quietly work my way over to the door.  My heart is pumping....I'm realizing this could be a fight or flight situation and I have nowhere to fly to.....  so get prepared.  BUT they may not know that I'm at home so element of surprise might be on my side.  

(side comment, wife wasn't home either so I was alone)

Got to door, hand on light switch so that outside lights would temporarily blind them....  yank door open, turn lights on, jump out to immediatly confront the intruders and all I heard were crickets and an occasional frog.

WTH???

Long story short, the voices were recorded faintly on the CD.  Must have been someone in the room/across the room talking quietly to each other.  I had never heard that before and now my heart was racing ready to bang some heads in or perhaps have mine banged in.

Nothing but crickets.

I slithered back inside, turned lights out and continued to enjoy the music while my heart slowed down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Racer X said:

I'll never forget the time....about 10 years ago (when I still drank)..... it was about two in the morning.....can't remember off hand which Pink Floyd song it was.....this laughter appears about 10 feet to my left and it was so realistic it totally freaked me out. Like you, I was home alone (best time to listen!) and goosebumps big time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I've told this before...  side story, I live out in the boonies, last house on dead end road and I'm in the woods.  NOBODY has any reason to be here unless they are expected, lost or......up to no good.

House was dark, it was dark outside.  I had a Thelonius Monk CD in once (forget which one, which track)  Had it at a pleasant volume when suddenly, I heard some faint voices outside.  I had seen no lights coming up driveway so the only conclusion was that someone(s) were sneaking around outdoors in the dark.  This could be bad.

Well..advantage is skewed to me since I'm in the house, in the dark (I usually walk around in the dark) so I know where all the floor obstructions are.  I quietly work my way over to the door.  My heart is pumping....I'm realizing this could be a fight or flight situation and I have nowhere to fly to.....  so get prepared.  BUT they may not know that I'm at home so element of surprise might be on my side.  

(side comment, wife wasn't home either so I was alone)

Got to door, hand on light switch so that outside lights would temporarily blind them....  yank door open, turn lights on, jump out to immediatly confront the intruders and all I heard were crickets and an occasional frog.

WTH???

Long story short, the voices were recorded faintly on the CD.  Must have been someone in the room/across the room talking quietly to each other.  I had never heard that before and now my heart was racing ready to bang some heads in or perhaps have mine banged in.

Nothing but crickets.

I slithered back inside, turned lights out and continued to enjoy the music while my heart slowed down.

From the recording studio side:  it's alarming how sensitive some of these microphones are. I've had to scrap tracks because someone left the fan on in the bathroom 20 yards down the hallway in a brick building, and cancel a session because Creedence Clearwater Revisited was playing 2 miles away.  You couldn't hear any of this with your ears, but once a track was compressed and gain'd-up, there it was; Proud Mary....

• Like 1