Progress report on my La Scalas

Dave MacKay

In early summer last year, I acquired a pair of 1986 La Scalas. They had suffered a little over the years: a dog had chewed the cabinet corners and mice had made their presence known in the doghouse. However, apart from a coat of polyurethane over the Raw Birch plywood, they were entirely original.

Home-at-last.thumb.jpg.a9bc4040b568154c4cf574a2312860f6.jpg

After having wanted La Scalas for more than 40 years, I was a bit underwhelmed by how they sounded. Fortunately, this forum provided a wealth of ideas, suggestions, and advice on how to improve my system. 

Over the course of the past year, I’ve:

• Disassembled and cleaned everything
  • Replaced the original AL network with a new AA network from Crites
  • Replaced the squawker gaskets
  • Repaired the cabinets
  • Laminated 3/8” plywood to the top, bottom, and sides of the speakers
  • Replaced the K-77 tweeters with DaveA’s SMAHL tweeters and lenses

I’ve matched the La Scalas with a pair of THTLP subwoofers that I’m feeding via a MiniDSP 2x4HD. I use a Yamaha R-N803 receiver and a Bluesound Node streamer.

Yesterday, I finished veneering (with ribbon Sapele) and refinishing (with Rubio Monocoat "Pure") the La Scalas. Because I wasn't confident that I had the skill to veneer the doghouses I painted them the same black that I used for the squawkers and tweeters.

I’m quite pleased with how the speakers turned out. Here is a close-up of one of the refinished speakers

Speaker.thumb.jpg.5e58bf44318ae458633d2e57b72c27c4.jpg

and a photo of them in my living room.

Refinished-and-in-place.thumb.jpg.e472367e29de321cd61f474d4dc39c36.jpg

The speakers --- augmented by the THTLPs --- now sound as good as I had always imagined they would. I'm delighted with them. It's been a journey getting them to this point, but the journey has been entirely enjoyable.

The help of members of this form has been indispensable to me. Rather than call out each of the more than 20 people who gave suggestions and advice, I'll just say thank-you to all.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

Interested in which THTLPs you went with?

Can post a picture of them?..I am thinking about building some for my LaScalas

I have two of the smallest-size THTLPs; each measures 18" x 15" x 72". Each has a 12" driver and is driven by a 250W plate amplifier (mounted on the back of the THTLP). I needed a MiniDSP 2x4HD to "dial them in" so that they sounded good with my system.

The subwoofers are in diagonal corners of my living room, as per this diagram:

122987674_subwooferplacement.thumb.png.f76aded615d3e78a03e8fc21c0835f51.png

Since the subwoofers are prominent in my living room, I veneered them to match my La Scalas. I would class my woodworking skills as "intermediate" and I found them easy and enjoyable to build.

This shows the two THTLPs:

THTLPs.png.75f9bf11d58bdd9d6f485b66e7075cc5.png

• Like 6

I like that the outlines of the side boards remain recognizable on the front of the baffle in the squaker and tweeter area. It is often the case that subsequently applied veneer is glued over the entire surface of the front. Then the LaScala looks clunky in my view and no longer so well proportioned.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 2:33 PM, KT88 said:

I like that the outlines of the side boards remain recognizable on the front of the baffle in the squaker and tweeter area. It is often the case that subsequently applied veneer is glued over the entire surface of the front. Then the LaScala looks clunky in my view and no longer so well proportioned.

I think proportion is a matter of taste.  I had a pair of La Scalas in front of me for years, and always thought the sides were too narrow, especially in comparison with the upper section.  When I got the La Scala IIs, with their thicker sides, now what I was seeing was proportionate, with the tops and bottoms in harmony.  Do you find that the La Scalas IIs look clunky, or do you mean the extra-thick sides that some people go for when restoring La Scalas?

2 hours ago, Islander said:

I think proportion is a matter of taste.  I had a pair of La Scalas in front of me for years, and always though the sides were too narrow, especially in comparison with the upper section.  When I got the La Scala IIs, with their thicker sides, now what I was seeing was proportionate, with the tops and bottoms in harmony.  Do you find that the La Scalas IIs look clunky, or do you mean the extra-thick sides that some people go for when restoring La Scalas?

I find that both LaSalas have good proportions, 1 and 2. I just meant that the visual impression of the LS 1 I like better when you see this kind of framing when you look at the front area of squaker and tweeter.

That looks great Dave. Beautiful room that I am sure sounds as good as it looks. Keep up the good work! I think it still might need a little more cow bell. You should be able to fit another set of LS in that room. the furniture may have to go but.......... It's a fun ride, but you have to know when to get off. Some never figure it out!

image.thumb.jpeg.47475593710861b8f9d44d652d936a3f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KT88 said:

I find that both LaSalas have good proportions, 1 and 2. I just meant that the visual impression of the LS 1 I like better when you see this kind of framing when you look at the front area of squaker and tweeter.

After I took a second look at the picture, I see what you mean, and I tend to agree about the looks of the HF section.  I had not noticed that at first, so I was looking at the outer walls of the bass horn.  it's just my opinion, and yours is equally valid.  To my eye, the LS2 woofer horn sides are a better match for the upper section.  That's what I was mistakenly referring to.

Congrats on getting a decent pair of La Scalas and turning them into beauties!  Also, the subs are transformative with La Scalas.  They help a good speaker become a great speaker.  I use a pair of Paradigm Seismic 110 subs, made in Mississauga, but I'm not sure where exactly the factory is.

Anyway, I had a decent Paradigm sub before, but getting one from their higher lines made a very noticeable difference, and getting a second matching one really completed the (sound) picture.  You've got it made with those THTLPs.  With their mid-tone veneer, they're surprisingly unobtrusive in the room, especially the one beside the curtain.  Nice work, and happy listening!

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 3:25 PM, Dave MacKay said:

In early summer last year, I acquired a pair of 1986 La Scalas. They had suffered a little over the years: a dog had chewed the cabinet corners and mice had made their presence known in the doghouse. However, apart from a coat of polyurethane over the Raw Birch plywood, they were entirely original.

Home-at-last.thumb.jpg.a9bc4040b568154c4cf574a2312860f6.jpg

After having wanted La Scalas for more than 40 years, I was a bit underwhelmed by how they sounded. Fortunately, this forum provided a wealth of ideas, suggestions, and advice on how to improve my system. 

Over the course of the past year, I’ve:

• Disassembled and cleaned everything
  • Replaced the original AL network with a new AA network from Crites
  • Replaced the squawker gaskets
  • Repaired the cabinets
  • Laminated 3/8” plywood to the top, bottom, and sides of the speakers
  • Replaced the K-77 tweeters with DaveA’s SMAHL tweeters and lenses

I’ve matched the La Scalas with a pair of THTLP subwoofers that I’m feeding via a MiniDSP 2x4HD. I use a Yamaha R-N803 receiver and a Bluesound Node streamer.

Yesterday, I finished veneering (with ribbon Sapele) and refinishing (with Rubio Monocoat "Pure") the La Scalas. Because I wasn't confident that I had the skill to veneer the doghouses I painted them the same black that I used for the squawkers and tweeters.

I’m quite pleased with how the speakers turned out. Here is a close-up of one of the refinished speakers

Speaker.thumb.jpg.5e58bf44318ae458633d2e57b72c27c4.jpg

and a photo of them in my living room.

Refinished-and-in-place.thumb.jpg.e472367e29de321cd61f474d4dc39c36.jpg

The speakers --- augmented by the THTLPs --- now sound as good as I had always imagined they would. I'm delighted with them. It's been a journey getting them to this point, but the journey has been entirely enjoyable.

The help of members of this form has been indispensable to me. Rather than call out each of the more than 20 people who gave suggestions and advice, I'll just say thank-you to all.

Very nice! Very inspiring as well. My La Scala beaters are still beaters. I've done all kinds of things to the guts, and they sound golden. This motivates me to make a move on the exterior.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:56 AM, Coytee said:

I concur.  It looks to me like you hired an interior decorator....and they got the furnishings, rug, speakers all to compliment each other.

(now we find out he spent 30 years as an interior decorator)

I'm still ROTFLMAO 😄

My wife has been wanting to hire a decorator to choose new paint colours because the current colours (i.e., my choices) are hopelessly old and dated. With glee, I showed her this post. She just shook her head. I'm not sure, but in my mind I think this means I'm +1.

• Like 1