Maybe You Have A Juicy Question?

23 minutes ago, babadono said:

Me too. How old is "pretty fricken"? Are you still in Palm Springs area? And how is the "people" chow quest going?

I'm 74 next month. Yes, we're still out in the desert with the jack rabbits, cactus and yucca. People chow! - that's a big subject, and I'm a bit surprised I left any associations to that tag here? My original people chow project was 1994 - well before I was on this forum. Well, anyway, I suppose like many subjects, I probably mentioned it here. My  original attempts failed by virtue of a lack of processing machinery needed to combine all the proteins and saturated fats into some kind of sealed bisquit form. But, I am still chasing the "ultimate simplicty in maximum nutrition."  I eat saturated fat and protein (from a very small list) with scant carbs and no processed foods, no sugar, no vegetable oil products. My wife thinks it is the most boring diet ever conceived - which would meet one of my objectives: Food should be as boring as filling your gas tank.

At the moment, I am sipping on my "Bulletproof Coffee" (espresso with Ghee and C8-MCT OIL, and put in the blender for 1 minute). Ummmm...amazing.

How's life for you? Building stuff? Fixing stuff?

bpcoffee.jpg

• Like 3

So you're on the Dr. Gundry diet? The only people chow association left is probably in my mind. I just remember posting with you about it a few years back.

I modified 4 Crown D75 amps to be pretty much what you did to the Duke. I finally obtained a list of what all you did from @Marvel the current owner of the Duke. I did pretty much the same by good old trial and error(its sometimes called engineering) that you did. Your list probably would have been handy to have beforehand.:(.

Obtained a pair of underground Jubilee Klipsch speakers......my speaker quest is DONE. Just working on acoustic treatments in my listening room.

Chores on the ranch take up the rest of my time and of course working at a job.

22 minutes ago, babadono said:

Dr. Gundry diet?

Probably similar to that. I refer to it as more of a traditional diet. Most likely the diet of my great grandparents. The large RED X's are on sugar, refined white flour, vegetable oil, all commercially deep fried foods, and processed carbohydrates like chips, crackers, and the endless junk foods.

The Duke---Did you do the Black Gate caps too? I've heard they are hard to get now. I dunno, I'm not deep in that cave anymore. What I liked about the results on The Duke were that it was considerably faster than stock, and didn't have that bit of "glare" common to amps of that kind of design. It got a big improvement in rise time and it produced some very fine 10k square waves. The original OpAmps were dog slow. What might not be documented in Bruce's package that I made, was that all the small compensation caps - maybe 6 of them?-  had to be hand-tweaked to eliminate ringing. I'd be hard pressed to say exactly what the BG caps did, but I do think they contributed to the overall SQ. I'll bet there are far better OpAmps available today. Gee, that was back in like 2007 or something.

Ranch? With cattle? Horses? Sheep? Alpaca?

Schu - It's clarified butter with all the milk solids removed so that it is pure "butterfat." It makes a fantastic snack because you get all the energy with NO spike in blood sugar that accompanies carbohydrate snacks. The coffee is just a vehicle to carry all the fats.

• Like 1

The Duke is awesome... who could tell with my ears anyway?

We're eating better... but I went from pasta... to white rice and for the past year my wife and I eat brown rice. Lots more veggies. So in 10 years I went from about 150+ to 140. I feel great other, other than having prostate cancer. Started on a mix that include components of specific Swiss apple and french grape stem cells (along with some other berry extracts. Only been a week and certain vision problems have disappeared. Carry on...

• Like 2

Black Gates were unobtanium by the time I did mine. I used Nichicon Muse bi polars. I have a hard time "hearing" capacitors, especially at 67 years old👂 And yes I went through the compensation capacitor tuning to bring up the speed and not produce ringing. I got mine up to about 10V/uSec. I found a post during my work from DJK where he stated most of the slew rate limitations are due to the "old" tech power transistors. I tried to reach out to him for recommendations of faster devices but he was either ill or had already passed. R.I.P. I retrofitted opamps from the LME49710/49720 family. Just an over the top device IMHO. Only available device currently is the '720 dual but there used to be a single ('710) and a quad ('740).

Do you also practice a limited time window for eating. Intermittent fasting by another name.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, babadono said:

Black Gates were unobtanium by the time I did mine. I used Nichicon Muse bi polars. I have a hard time "hearing" capacitors, especially at 67 years old👂 And yes I went through the compensation capacitor tuning to bring up the speed and not produce ringing. I got mine up to about 10V/uSec. I found a post during my work from DJK where he stated most of the slew rate limitations are due to the "old" tech power transistors. I tried to reach out to him for recommendations of faster devices but he was either ill or had already passed. R.I.P. I retrofitted opamps from the LME49710/49720 family. Just an over the top device IMHO. Only available device currently is the '720 dual but there used to be a single ('710) and a quad ('740).

Do you also practice a limited time window for eating. Intermittent fasting by another name.

The Duke --- Sounds good. I can't recall actual numbers on rise time, but I know the bandwidth was an order of magnitude wider. I've always been a believer is Stu Hegeman's wide-bandwith theory.  I'm happy to hear someone is still farting around with it. It was especially fun for me because I was not experienced with SS amps at all.

Intermittant fasting: Indeed. I eat twice a day, 10am and 4pm. So, I get an automatic 18-hour mini-fast each day. Maybe once every two weeks I will fast a whole 24-hours. I would do more extreme fasting, except that my wife is not a believer, and gets worried/annoyed/unhappy when I experiment. Since I'm a beleiver in "Happy wife, happy life" I don't push it.

I would very much like to try a regimine of 1-meal per day. I think that is  probably the ideal, or perhaps 1-meal in two days. Something like that. What is clear and uncontrovertible to me is that fasting time gives the body time to "clear up and clean up" garbage. I try to make sure my 4pm has mostly fats, then I know I will not experience any sense of hunger at all the next morning.

@Marvel I'm really sorry to hear about your cancer. Cancer scares the hell our of me. My wife had a "scare" in the sprint. I know so many people fighting cancer right now, it's painful. Take good care of your self and let's hope you get through it.

44 minutes ago, Marvel said:

The Duke is awesome... who could tell with my ears anyway?

We're eating better... but I went from pasta... to white rice and for the past year my wife and I eat brown rice. Lots more veggies. So in 10 years I went from about 150+ to 140. I feel great other, other than having prostate cancer. Started on a mix that include components of specific Swiss apple and french grape stem cells (along with some other berry extracts. Only been a week and certain vision problems have disappeared. Carry on...

BTW, what kind of guitar are you playing?

A few year back, after some surgeries, I needed a new interest and I took up acoustic guitar again. After tryiing lots of guitars our, I settled on the small body vintage Martins. My current player is a 1954 Martin 00-18 starburst I call "Rusty."

IMG_0180.JPG

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Welcome back. 

Thanks Dude!

15 minutes ago, ssh said:

I had a friend who was sponsored by Martin-Richard Leo Johnson. He played the whole guitar, not just the strings-amazing musician.

SSH

Yeah, I love that style. Is this the man you refer to? Wow:

My favorite player "using the whole guitar" is Tommy Emmanuel. I'm strictly a campfire cowboy sort of player. I probably enjoy the singing as much or more than the guitar playing. Getting lost in great songs is my meditation of sorts. It clears the head like nothing else I can do. Time disappears. The poetry of it erases mental garbage like nothing else I am aware of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

BTW, what kind of guitar are you playing?

A few year back, after some surgeries, I needed a new interest and I took up acoustic guitar again. After tryiing lots of guitars our, I settled on the small body vintage Martins. My current player is a 1954 Martin 00-18 starburst I call "Rusty."

That's a nice size. I had a standard 00-18 back in the late '60s. I would appreciate it more now.

Currently have my '74 Guild F-30r and '96 Taylor 812c. The Guild I bought new, the Taylor used.

IMG_20220119_172744~2.jpg

bruce2.jpg

• Like 2

@marvel. Those are some very fine guitars! My initial purchases were drednaught guitars and they were just too large for me to comfortably hold. I tried some new Taylors and Martins of that size. Then I began trying small body parlor guitars and the magic came  into place. I began with the Taylor GS Mini -- wonderful guitar! Then after buying many vintage Martins, I one day received the '54 00-18 and it was live at first strum! It's as light as a feather, dry as a bone, and tone that gives me goose bumps. I also have a restored 1920 Martin 0-18 that sounds great but has a V-neck that isn't to my liking.

As recently as May, I bought a big 1972 Yamaha L-10 drednaught on a lark. But alas, too big. 

I had a '68 D-28 and later a '51 D-18. The D-18 went to my BIL, and my best friend (shown below) got te D-28. Roger was visiting last Fall and brought his small custom shop model along. A nice tidy size.

20210910_195033~2.jpg