Maybe You Have A Juicy Question?

On 2/24/2023 at 9:00 AM, RealMarkDeneen said:

RCA JACKS

I have done at least 3 or 4 units in the past with panel mount jacks. I did NOT need to add an extra plate. There is sufficient room on the rear of the chassis above the opening where the rca jack protrude from the PCB.

If you cut the upper part of the vinyl label off, there is just the right amount of space. (If memory serves). I know I never added any plate when I've done this in the past. If you do add a plate you will be eliminating some of the cooling.

Do you have a picture of this? 

Here's one with a partial set of jacks. It's the only pic I could find.

bbxjack.thumb.jpg.2b53bf5cb7e13410d9495672e1e1e228.jpg

Plenty of room for the jacks. And then the bottom will remain open.

NOTE: Before DRILLING into the back cover the PCB with plastic wrap and tape it down all around the edge so that do drilling chips get lodged under a resistor or something like that. As you can see here, I just drilled right through the label and left in place.

@RealMarkDeneen I could not remember what the Blueberry looked like on back. 

Yes plenty of room.  Worth taking the time to lay it out and get the spacing just right.  I will put this picture in my server when I get back to work next week. 

I have a Fisher and the top of the case is vented.  I will need  a plate as I described for speaker terminals, but definitely room in the Blueberry.

I've serviced a Peach II, specifically the filament section that provides AC-DC conversion to source VDC to the small signal heaters.  In my case, this was a relatively straightforward effort, a few hours.  

If your unit stops working and the tubes (except the rectifier) are cold, it may be the power supply sourcing to the filaments.  Also, the filaments are in parallel so if two are bright and one dead, suspect the tube, the curcuit is ok.

I've documented the servicing here.

Juicy Music Peach II Preamp (northreadingeng.com)

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:07 AM, capo72 said:

I did exactly what you describe on my BBX. Several years ago I had issues with the RCA jacks on the board a couple of different times. Mark was no longer working at the time so I decided to tackle the problem on my own; my solution was as you describe. I made a plate to go across the back to hold RCA jacks, then wired to the board as Mark describes. It caused me some other issues, but overall was a good solution. I can try to find pictures of the work I did, or take new ones. I actually made up 2 plates and only used 1 so I have an extra if someone is interested in doing this mod. 

I'd like to see your pics and I'm interested and may want that if it's still available. I was traveling the past two days and missed this.

6 hours ago, John Warren said:

I've serviced a Peach II, specifically the filament section that provides AC-DC conversion to source VDC to the small signal heaters.  In my case, this was a relatively straightforward effort, a few hours.  

If your unit stops working and the tubes (except the rectifier) are cold, it may be the power supply sourcing to the filaments.  Also, the filaments are in parallel so if two are bright and one dead, suspect the tube, the curcuit is ok.

I've documented the servicing here.

Juicy Music Peach II Preamp (northreadingeng.com)

Well done, John! Thanks for providing that info. I am sure others can use that as a guide. I usually mount the new rectifier on the bottom of the chassis behind the xformer, but your location looks perfectly fine.

Cheers,

Mark

More Heat Relief

While we are on the subject of heat. I highly recommend adding a hole pattern to the tops of any wooden box that might have come with your JMA Peach/BBX.  Here is what I recently added to my "new Peach". It is simple enough and very effective what I can tell so far. I should put some probes inside and measure, but I haven't yet.

193348615_bbxcover.thumb.jpg.c587cc5b48b27c98fd8e7ab84296333b.jpg

20 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Here is a BBX from the inside. Notice that there is plenty of room above the PCB stiffener shelf (where the Cream sits) so drilling through is no issue even with a Cream unit. bbxjack2.thumb.jpg.331858bb8891ea45609ff54e7b66bf3a.jpg

Absolutely love the color scheme on the face of these early BB's. A good friend had one years ago. The sound mostly but also those looks got me started looking at JM. 

23 minutes ago, capo72 said:

Let's see if uploading my pictures works.

20230225_144421.jpg

Fantastic. Looks great to me. I see you have some "curl" in your rear label. I peeled those off and then remounted them with Weldwood Contact Cement (the original Weldwood, not the one sold now in California).

Also, see my post about adding vent holes to your cabinet.

Cheers!

Mark

6H30 Upgrade

The Merlin, BBX, and Peach have individually unique changes for 6H30. Because one of the PSU resistors needs to be changed to reduce plate voltage. Although the upgrade only involves a few parts, it can get tricky due to the many versions of each PCB.

The plate & cathode resistors change on that tube socket, and at least one PS resistor. But, to be sure it is right, you have to be able to use a DVM to check voltages, and you may need to "adjust" the size of the plate resistor to match the board version you have. Also, yuo may have to VISUALLY trace the plate load resistor trace on the PCB back to the PS to see which LC is feeding it.

Before anyone jumps into that, I will need to do some digging regarding the right voltages. I DON'T have a 6H30 unit here. My Peach is 6DJ8.

Cheers!

Mark

• Like 1