TRAINS, watching, recording and discussing.

Dave A

Hey Micheal that same train ride to Summerville was one I made a few years ago when they had a double header steam engine special. You could lean out the widow and get cinders in your eyes from the real deal steam locomotives. Museum well worth going to also.

There is a place close to Knoxville where NS has it's steepest existing main line grade of over 3% I need to go see one day.

I missed the double header, but was excited to have lunch served in the dining car with the service I remember from the fifties & sixties. My father loved trains and most family trips & vacations were spent riding the rails.

I'll dig though the photos to see if I can find images of riding the Possum Trot out of Reader Ark. back in the early 70s. It was part of our visits to Hope.

Trains are kewl.  Always enjoy watching the freight trains go by.  Last weekend I was able to place myself very close right on the rail bed as a couple of freight trains zoomed by and I captured several videos of the resulting symphony. 

The videos are anywhere from 3 MB to 111 MB, so I guess I can forward some for review to an email.  Or if someone has a shared Google drive I can access.

Just a phone video, but I was hoping to capture a good stereo image of the noise moving left to right.  And the crickets afterwards.

Still hoping to capture the couplers recoupling as a stopped train starts rolling again....

Micheal there is a train that goes from Etowah to Ducktown mines and over the loops there. Same outfit as the Summerville trains so go there and see. Very nice ride when the leaves have fallen as otherwise much of what you will see will be leaves only.

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

Just a phone video, but I was hoping to capture a good stereo image of the noise moving left to right.  And the crickets afterwards.

I bought a fancy image stabilization video camera a few years ago for trains. Never got the stereo mike to go with it and maybe I need to. Trains passing are somewhat monural.

Train recording came out really well:  1 minute of freight train rushing by, then lone car passing opposite direction on the highway, ghost train at 1:30 mark, finally crickets to 2 minute mark.

When played really loud, you can feel the pressure wave from the cars whizzing by.

Bucket list trip, maybe in different times though.  Trans-Siberian Railway.

TSR_kk.jpg.de6ed133b86bd386d86ef6a632438856.jpg
I don't know how to explain it, but scenes like this bring out the emotions in me. There are rail yards around me, but I can't really say I grew up around them. But seeing photos like the one you shared makes me feel at home, like this explains my life for some reason. I don't know, kind of weird.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk