TRAINS, watching, recording and discussing.

Dave A

20 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

And it’s a CSX line that runs through town which sort of explains it.

Hmm, your tag says Hong Kong and no locale was given so I had to ask. There is an old Chessie caboose in Ethridge, a small town close to me on a siding. Ex Louisville and Nashville then ex CSX and now Patriot Rail. Passenger trains ran until the early 60's here and I ran across an older guy who used to ride from Columbia to Lawrenceburg TN on this line. I have followed the track in places and according to this old timer the ride was quite scenic. I can believe it and rolling countryside with numerous stream crossings and some steep grades it would be fun to ride this line. Freight only though for some time and almost abandoned. by CSX. When I moved here in the late 80's the road bed was in terrible shape and used to connect to Chattanooga through Pulaski. The Pulaski to Chattanooga line was pulled up but the rest was saved and today sees freight rolling along daily.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

Hmm, your tag says Hong Kong and no locale was given so I had to ask. There is an old Chessie caboose in Ethridge, a small town close to me on a siding. Ex Louisville and Nashville then ex CSX and now Patriot Rail. Passenger trains ran until the early 60's here and I ran across an older guy who used to ride from Columbia to Lawrenceburg TN on this line. I have followed the track in places and according to this old timer the ride was quite scenic. I can believe it and rolling countryside with numerous stream crossings and some steep grades it would be fun to ride this line. Freight only though for some time and almost abandoned. by CSX. When I moved here in the late 80's the road bed was in terrible shape and used to connect to Chattanooga through Pulaski. The Pulaski to Chattanooga line was pulled up but the rest was saved and today sees freight rolling along daily.

The Mr. Lee’s Greater Hong Kong is a joke.

28777 is my zip code.

The line through town(Spruce Pine, NC) is part of the former Clinchfield RR and still sees a number of CSX freight trains daily.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:42 AM, Islander said:

On the return trip, we were many hours late, but that was treated as routine.  “Delays R Us” seemed to be their motto.

When I had visited my (not yet wife) in China, we rode from Shenzhen to Jiangxi and back multiple times. The trains in China keep to their schedules pretty well. We always took an overnight train, as the run was/is about 830 km. Since we were going low budget, we were in cars that had a hallway on one side with open spaces for 3-high bunks (6 people in the sleeping area. No privacy or doors. You just kept your hands on your suitcase as you slept.

IMG_2263~2.jpg

IMG_2271~2.jpg

IMG_2269~2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...