Marantz Tube Amps - new to me - advice?

jfjacques

Hello - 

Long time Klipsch owner and lover - just inherited an incredible gift of (2) Marantz model 2 tube amps and (1) Marantz 7T Pre. They had been in storage for over 30 years, so they are at my local trusted shop to be brought up properly and serviced. 

I plan to hook them up to my Chorus 2's and turntable setup - is there anything special I should be cautious of - I remember reading once about a specific sequence of power up/power down that should be followed either with separate amp/pre or tubes? 

Will post pics of them cleaned up once its all back and set up. Thanks in advance! 

IMG_5246.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

What an inheritance! It's seems a little odd that the preamp is the "T"ransistor version of the 7, and not the tubed version. Of course, who would quibble when it is inherited?

A great design with that very cool balanced phase inverter. It's worth whatever it takes to get them in primo working condition.

Please post more when you get them back!

^5

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

What an inheritance! It's seems a little odd that the preamp is the "T"ransistor version of the 7, and not the tubed version. Of course, who would quibble when it is inherited?

A great design with that very cool balanced phase inverter. It's worth whatever it takes to get them in primo working condition.

Please post more when you get them back!

^5

The gentleman that gifted these to me is my best friends dad - he is in his mid 90s and has significant memory issues. He barely remembers anything but remembers getting the 7T years after the model 2’s but doesn’t remember what he had originally hooked up with them. He vividly remembered me complimenting the amp setup when I first met him at their house near Boston back in 1990’s when I was in college and he remembered it well enough that when they were cleaning out his condo and moving him to assisted living it was literally one of a handful of items he had any care for where ended up - he remembered showing me and my reaction to them and wanted someone that knew how special they were to him to have them. Incredible gift - he also gifted me a set of “Hartley” loudspeakers that he had set up with them decades ago. Given the value of these I have offered multiple times to the family to help sell the pieces and give the funds for his ongoing care but they won’t hear of it. Blessed to have such wonderful and generous friends. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hey all - also curious to others that have Tube Amps such as this - are you using anything for surge protection? in my main home theater I have a Panamax PM-4300 and I've read mixed things about amps being used with these type of devices - though the manufacturers that state to plug in direct are talking about amps that draw major amperage and need dedicated circuits? Any insight to what people are doing here? Im not worried about whether or not its 3db less capable on the top end if its protected? 

• Like 1