Marantz Tube Amps - new to me - advice?

jfjacques

Hope this doesn't add any concerns but,

What's your wall current? It's probably higher than when the amps were made. 

I use a variac to lower my 119-124 wall current to 117vac. My amp is a VTA ST120 (Dynaco ST 70 improved). Mine is OK up to 120vac but the newer ones are good to about 125. Obviously, your situation may be different but you may want to check...

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 1:11 PM, jfjacques said:

The gentleman that gifted these to me is my best friends dad - he is in his mid 90s and has significant memory issues. He barely remembers anything but remembers getting the 7T years after the model 2’s but doesn’t remember what he had originally hooked up with them. He vividly remembered me complimenting the amp setup when I first met him at their house near Boston back in 1990’s when I was in college and he remembered it well enough that when they were cleaning out his condo and moving him to assisted living it was literally one of a handful of items he had any care for where ended up - he remembered showing me and my reaction to them and wanted someone that knew how special they were to him to have them. Incredible gift - he also gifted me a set of “Hartley” loudspeakers that he had set up with them decades ago. Given the value of these I have offered multiple times to the family to help sell the pieces and give the funds for his ongoing care but they won’t hear of it. Blessed to have such wonderful and generous friends. 

I will eventually gladly give away my cherished possessions to any people or persons who love my stuff as much as I do ( or did,lol).

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 12:11 PM, jfjacques said:

The gentleman that gifted these to me is my best friends dad - he is in his mid 90s and has significant memory issues. He barely remembers anything but remembers getting the 7T years after the model 2’s but doesn’t remember what he had originally hooked up with them. He vividly remembered me complimenting the amp setup when I first met him at their house near Boston back in 1990’s when I was in college and he remembered it well enough that when they were cleaning out his condo and moving him to assisted living it was literally one of a handful of items he had any care for where ended up - he remembered showing me and my reaction to them and wanted someone that knew how special they were to him to have them. Incredible gift - he also gifted me a set of “Hartley” loudspeakers that he had set up with them decades ago. Given the value of these I have offered multiple times to the family to help sell the pieces and give the funds for his ongoing care but they won’t hear of it. Blessed to have such wonderful and generous friends. 

That is absolutely WONDERFUL!!!