Are Class D Amps Fatiguing ?

Racer  X

On 8/24/2022 at 12:05 PM, Marvel said:

Just curious... what is a 'huge' electricity bill? Might be food for another thread.

Well, we just had to pay (on top of our usual monthly payments) an add-on bill of 1250 euro. Half our vacation budget so, we couldn't travel in the end. I have a pretty shitty job (well, I've seen much worse, but I'm still in the "lower income" part of the population) and everything has become much more expensive. Food, electricity, gas... I'm not complaining (yet), we are a double-income-no-kids house, it could be worse, but still.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rolox said:

Well, we just had to pay (on top of our usual monthly payments) an add-on bill of 1250 euro. Half our vacation budget so, we couldn't travel in the end. I have a pretty shitty job (well, I've seen much worse, but I'm still in the "lower income" part of the population) and everything has become much more expensive. Food, electricity, gas... I'm not complaining (yet), we are a double-income-no-kids house, it could be worse, but still.

Just received notice that our contract was ending and the new one is double. Insane.

I'm sold on the class D amps made by Orchard Audio, which use Gallium nitride transistors.

The monoblock amps drive my LaScala clones using XLR inputs from an Orchard Audio streamer (using PCM1794A dacs) and Tidal.
They also make stereo amps, all very budget friendly, and very clean sound. I find the sound better than the NAD integrated amp with Hypex UcD outputs that I was using, but it's also a class D amp.

Edited by Ghostfather
  • Thanks 1

Class D...

With Heritage speakers and KLF speakers I've operated Bel Canto Monoblocks, Wyred4Sound Monoblocks, Pioneer ICE and D3, NAD and ATI Multi channel mono's... they ALL have a similar characteristic... that of very clean, very very fast transient response, very strong LF, flat but well defined image and at times, some granularity.

For Home Theater and on the LF of a muti-amp 2 channel, I would run no other topology.