Better Nutrition 4 Better Life

RealMarkDeneen

There's not a more controversial topic than "proper nutrition." There are doctors, scientists, politicians, quacks, influencers, and chefs all offering up some version of perfect nutrition. Maybe it would be useful to explore and exchange some ideas here toward the goal of just feeling better (and maybe living longer too!).

My Take On It

I'm in the heterodox camp that absolutely disavows the recommendation of the USDA, and the American Heart Association. Their longstanding orthodoxy (since the 1970s) has been this:

-Saturated fats cause heart disease

-Replace them with polyunsaturated fats found in seed oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, cottonseed, etc)

-Eat 7 servings of carbs a day

-Moderate amounts of sugar

I think the traditional diet that advanced humanity for hundreds of thousands of years makes more sense.

-Eat plenty of saturated fats, from butter, milk, meat, nuts, cheese, eggs, yogurt

-Eat plenty of proteins, from meat, eggs, chicken, lentils

-Make carbs the absolute smallest segment of the diet. Eat vegetables for carbs.

Absolutely do NOT eat any sugar, or sugar substitute, or precessed sweeteners like HFC. That effectively eliminates packaged foods.

No fruit juice. No Soda - diet or regular. Drink water or milk.

No foods that contain any of the "Hateful Eight Seed Oils" -Canola oil, Corn oil, Cottonseed oil, Grapeseed oil, Rice Bran oil, Safflower Oil, Soy oil, Sunflower oil.

No enriched flours.

Absolutely no SOY, and no SOY ISOLATES. No Pea Protein Isolates.

No preservatives or chemical additives.

Eat the fewest meals per day possible.

Fast as often and as long as feasible for you.

---------That's my take---------What's yours?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I think the traditional diet that advanced humanity for hundreds of thousands of years makes more sense.

-Eat plenty of saturated fats, from butter, milk, meat, nuts, cheese, eggs, yogurt

-Make carbs the absolute smallest segment of the diet. Eat vegetables for carbs.

Absolutely do NOT eat any sugar, or sugar substitute, or precessed sweeteners like HFC. That effectively eliminates packaged foods.

No foods that contain any of the "Hateful Eight Seed Oils" -Canola oil, Corn oil, Cottonseed oil, Grapeseed oil, Rice Bran oil, Safflower Oil, Soy oil, Sunflower oil.

No enriched flours.

I agree except for the fasting part I work 8-10 sometimes 12 hour shifts and I require fuel to keep my mind right- running too low on calories makes me rummy in the head. 

I also believe that exercise or physical activity go hand and hand with diet as both are important and need to be balanced. Staying active to me is just as important as eating right. Curious to here your thoughts on this or anyone else's?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Give fruit the boot"--- Dr Steven Gundry

"The only purpose of eating is to get olive oil into your mouth" ---also Dr. Gundry.

I and my wife are trying to follow his recommendations....and it ain't easy. No or low lectins. No bread, no rice, no pasta, no oatmeal, no sugar, minimal animal proteins.. and intermittent fasting(some would call it starvation). There's more but I will allow anyone interested to research it for their self.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I agree except for the fasting part I work 8-10 sometimes 12 hour shifts and I require fuel to keep my mind right- running too low on calories makes me rummy in the head. 

I also believe that exercise or physical activity go hand and hand with diet as both are important and need to be balanced. Staying active to me is just as important as eating right. Curious to here your thoughts on this or anyone else's?  

Can't argue with exercise. Although, people trying to lose weight should note that too much exercise increases hunger and can work at cross purposes for people trying to lose weight. 

I'm no longer in the labor army, but if I had to work a long shift, I'd try loading up on lots of fats and no carbs for protracted energy. Fats are rocket fuel! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, babadono said:

"The only purpose of eating is to get olive oil into your mouth" ---also Dr. Gundry.

I and my wife are trying to follow his recommendations....and it ain't easy. No or low lectins. No bread, no rice, no pasta, no oatmeal, no sugar, minimal animal proteins.. and intermittent fasting(some would call it starvation). There's more but I will allow anyone interested to research it for their self.

My wife had one of his books. I don't know why he's against fats and meat protein? Sure, most livestock is fed soy, but the breakdown happens in their metabolism, not ours. 
Also, I absolutely refuse to eat any fish--best i can tell, it's all loaded with heavy metals.

So, is it having a good effect on you?

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

So, is it having a good effect on you?

Yes. I got a bad test result during a routine physical blood test. After following Dr. Gundry's diet/recommendations the number has returned to normal. Or of course it went down by itself(?). He is not against fats just certain ones. And some types of animal protein. The lectins in animal feed are only partially broken down by animals, some remains in their meat, at least he claims. And by testing not just saying it is so.

• Like 1

Hello Mark,

Glad to see you back on the forum! I have a JM Peach that you brought back to better than new condition (RMA #P113). I'd like to have it looked it again. Have you gotten back in the business of repairing these units or can you recommend a repair shop? I have a local repair shop that would do the work if they can get a copy of the schematic. Maybe you'd be willing to consult with my local technician?

I'm very impressed that you moved away from carbohydrates and have obviously been very busy training yourself on how to get healthy!  We definitely share many of the same viewpoints on nutrition. 

And very well done on striving to achieve one-meal-a-day! I've been off carb's for 26 years and have been doing OMAD for about 10 years and I also do a water fast for 3-4 days every 4 months or so.

The procedure to rehabilitate one's health by getting rid of insulin resistance and making the transition from consuming mass quantities of sugar to running on ketones isn't as easy as one might think. It's not just that the food nowadays is mostly of negative nutritional value, it's because most everybody is physically in a such state of extremely poor health than they know or they'd care to admit or they are much worse off than they think. Not only is the average intestinal tract generally incapable of absorbing essential nutrients due to years of abuse and neglect, but organs like the liver, gall bladder, pancreas, kidneys and spleen are in such bad shape that it's a wonder that most people are walking around at all. Getting healthy is not just a simple matter of switching to eating better quality food and cutting out toxic things like alcohol and grains. What has to happen is a gradual process where the body has to essentially rehabilitate and repair the entire system and restore it to proper functionality. It's a wonder that it can straighten it all out and heal it up at all, but it's a very tall order after 50 or more years of total neglect and degradation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DMH said:

Hello Mark,

Glad to see you back on the forum! I have a JM Peach that you brought back to better than new condition (RMA #P113). I'd like to have it looked it again. Have you gotten back in the business of repairing these units or can you recommend a repair shop? I have a local repair shop that would do the work if they can get a copy of the schematic. Maybe you'd be willing to consult with my local technician?

Hi and thanks for the WB! Let me address the Peach issues first. I don't have any test equipment anymore, and no place to set up a lab. Therefore, I can't do any actual testing of units. And, it would be silly for someone to have me sit and look for cold solder joints. So, the best thing is to work with a tech you like already. I can supply "pretty accurate" schematics, and I have spent time talking directly with various techs in the past to familiarize them with the circuits. I am always willing to do that. The Peach is pretty easy to work on. And, most guys catch on pretty quick from the information I can provide.

So, send me a PM, and I will give you my email address and we'll go from there!

12 minutes ago, DMH said:

Hello Mark,

And very well done on striving to achieve one-meal-a-day! I've been off carb's for 26 years and have been doing OMAD for about 10 years and I also do a water fast for 3-4 days every 4 months or so.

The procedure to rehabilitate one's health by getting rid of insulin resistance and making the transition from consuming mass quantities of sugar to running on ketones isn't as easy as one might think. It's not just that the food nowadays is mostly of negative nutritional value, it's because most everybody is physically in a such state of extremely poor health than they know or they'd care to admit or they are much worse off than they think. Not only is the average intestinal tract generally incapable of absorbing essential nutrients due to years of abuse and neglect, but organs like the liver, gall bladder, pancreas, kidneys and spleen are in such bad shape that it's a wonder that most people are walking around at all. Getting healthy is not just a simple matter of switching to eating better quality food and cutting out toxic things like alcohol and grains. What has to happen is a gradual process where the body has to essentially rehabilitate and repair the entire system and restore it to proper functionality. It's a wonder that it can straighten it all out and heal it up at all, but it's a very tall order after 50 or more years of total neglect and degradation. 

Really great comments on nutrition! You are so right. Bodies have been damaged and repair is not overnight. Improvements can be made, but there may be damage that can't be undone to livers and and other orgens. That said, starting over with good nutrition is better than keeping on the same path that made trouble. In that sense, it's never too late.

I live in a retirement community and I am appalled at the condition of my community members. Most of the guys my age can hardly walk, are way, WAAAY over weight, and have bad backs. In fact, moving here was a big motivator for me to become more stringent about my own health. Let's face it, a guy my age can't count on many more years - I watch the RIPS scroll by on forums and on TV and I always look at the age....so many people younger than I am. I've had 74 years of chronic disease to compound my circumstances, so I have to be even extra vigilent.

Thanks again for those cogent comments on nutrition and health. Excellent. Talk soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Dr Gundry is insane, do not follow him!  I read some of his recommendations and he is nuts,  Removing seeds from tomatoes, don't eat eggplant, drink a liter of olive oil ...

If I tell you to buy a nice amp and speakers and set them up, but you have to listen naked with your feet soaking in buttermilk, you will get good sound, but you also will be doing some things that are not necessary (up to you to figure out which).  Same for this wack job, the results are from getting rid of processed and refined foods, not his crazy recommendations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

There's not a more controversial topic than "proper nutrition." There are doctors, scientists, politicians, quacks, influencers, and chefs all offering up some version of perfect nutrition. Maybe it would be useful to explore and exchange some ideas here toward the goal of just feeling better (and maybe living longer too!).

My Take On It

I'm in the heterodox camp that absolutely disavows the recommendation of the USDA, and the American Heart Association. Their longstanding orthodoxy (since the 1970s) has been this:

-Saturated fats cause heart disease

-Replace them with polyunsaturated fats found in seed oils (canola, sunflower, safflower, cottonseed, etc)

-Eat 7 servings of carbs a day

-Moderate amounts of sugar

No enriched flours.

I do not agree on the carbs.  Refined carbs, yes, poison, get rid of them.  But veggies are your friend and are also carbs.  You need to eat a lot of them. 

I go the Asian route and eat mostly vegetables, with small amounts of organic meat (and not every day).  I also eat brown rice just about every day. 

Oils - olive oil - regular to cook, virgin to use as a topping, sesame seed oil as a topping, coconut oil, and I also eat a lot of avocados and unsalted unroasted nuts and seeds. 

Drinks - water.  Two cups of coffee per day and occasionally a beer of glass of wine (very occasionally)

I will post more when I have more time, but out trash is interesting.  In one week, we produce about on small grocery bag of trash, and if we were to compost, it would take about three times as long.  It also takes us a few months to fill the recycle bin.  The reason, we don't but any prepared or processed foods, Just mostly veggies.  Winco has a bulk section and we have a bunch of mason jars that we put the items in (for spices, nuts, raisins, etc.) 

Watch your trash, if you are filling it up with shinny boxes claiming that the crap inside is 'healthy' stop eating it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Really great comments on nutrition! You are so right. Bodies have been damaged and repair is not overnight. Improvements can be made, but there may be damage that can't be undone to livers and and other organs. That said, starting over with good nutrition is better than keeping on the same path that made trouble. In that sense, it's never too late.

I live in a retirement community, and I am appalled at the condition of my community members. Most of the guys my age can hardly walk, are way, WAAAY overweight, and have bad backs. In fact, moving here was a big motivator for me to become more stringent about my own health. Let's face it, a guy my age can't count on many more years - I watch the RIPS scroll by on forums and on TV and I always look at the age....so many people younger than I am. I've had 74 years of chronic disease to compound my circumstances, so I have to be even extra vigilant.

Thanks again for those cogent comments on nutrition and health. Excellent. Talk soon.

Okay, I'll send you a PM to get the contact info for the local repair shop. It would be wonderful to get the Peach fully functional again, it really is a great sounding preamp! 

I agree with you about the general poor state of health of almost everyone these days. I'm not going to assign blame to anyone that's overweight or isn't taking care of themselves or is diabetic or has whatever disease deemed by their "healthcare provider". It's not their fault, it's the educational system that has omitted to properly train students in basic biology, anatomy and physiology and therefore the system is guilty of producing functional "health illiterates". Much like a "functional illiterate", a person whose skills in reading and writing are insufficient for ordinary practical needs. If someone doesn't know how something works, they are prone to accept any information or false solution to resolve a problem and are fodder for those that wish to take monetary advantage of them. The examples of people running amuck concerning healthcare abound, from the fad diet that didn't work to the overzealous MD handing out prescriptions like a "Pezz" candy dispenser to listening to the partially true writings of the over imaginative health author that is sorely lacking in any fully workable technology. The bottom line is if you don't know how something works, you can be the effect of it. 

Once upon a time I did a survey of a few dozen average sort of people that I ran across in my daily life, people in the grocery stores and shops and in the neighborhood...  I asked them 2 questions, "point to your liver" and "what is the major function of the liver". Needless to say, the results were sadly dismal. How is anyone supposed to make correct decisions regarding taking care of their body when they don't know anything about it? Maybe it would be possible to not take responsibility for one's own personal health in a perfect world. But I hate to tell you if you haven't figured it out already, this world isn't even the slightest bit "perfect". Those that can't learn are constantly taken advantage of, ripped off, manipulated and "led down the garden path". The arena of "health care" just may be one of the most, if not the worse subjects where people are constantly abused, taken advantage of and generally ripped off and it's not a trivial matter! It's truly a matter of life and death that's at stake if one can't think with the subject and makes the wrong decisions. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Dr Gundry is insane, do not follow him! 

Insane? I doubt it. Eccentric, controversial? I'll give you that. He has thousands of patients that have been CURED of their chronic diseases by following his recommendations. Sorry those are the facts.

There's a lot going on here, but I will give it my 2 cents. 

There are alot of things I agree with Mark about, such as the poor American Standard diet, etc. 

I tracked my macros about 2-3 years ago and check them regularly. 

I target 1-1.5 grams of protein, 1-1.5 grams of carbs, and less than 1 gram of fat per body weight. I'm at 200 lbs steady for 2 years, but also lift weights 4 times a week and run 2 times a week.  One thing to keep in mind, its not about weight, its about how I feel in general, but more importantly how I look naked.  

There are good carbs and bad carbs, bad carbs such as refined carbs, like sugars, etc.  My carbs are lower on the glycemic index, mainly because when I have russet potatoes and white bread, I need to take a nap.  So sweet potatoes, Steel cut oats, etc.   Now I do have fruit after my work outs as they are great energy source and fast digesting, this is supposed to allow the body to use protein more effectively. 

At least a gallon a water a day 

I eat 7-8 times a day depending on the day, pre work out, post work out/breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack, dinner, snack and vitamins before bed. 

I agree about the least amount of sugar if any, along with artificial sweeteners.  However, there are studies that show that some of these in small amounts may not have effect.  However, with diabetes and high blood pressure running ramped in my family, I stay away.

I will have dairy, but don't drink milk, I don't understand our obsession with not only drinking milk after being weaned from our mothers, but drinking milk form another animal.  

At 40 my doctor is very pleased with my blood work, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, glycemic levels, etc. 

I am not a doctor nor do I play one, just my 2 cents, YMMV.  I believe everyone needs to find their own way and do what works for them.  This is what works for me. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Schu said:

What is it called when your body goes in shock because you don't give it any more sugars or carbohydrates?

What ever it is, that's what I need

Ketosis, why the keto diet is a huge hit right now.  Great to get off the junk, but need to find something more sustainable. 

• Like 1