Better Nutrition 4 Better Life

RealMarkDeneen

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ketosis, why the keto diet is a huge hit right now.  Great to get off the junk, but need to find something more sustainable. 

Yes ketosis maybe the term @Schu was looking for. But to be clear it is not a state of shock. We are supposed to biologically be able to burn ketones(state of ketosis). The ability to swich from burning sugar to fatty acids and ketones is called metabolic flexibility.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I will have dairy, but don't drink milk, I don't understand our obsession with not only drinking milk after being weaned from our mothers, but drinking milk form another animal. 

Great comments you made Dude. I do drink milk, and eat plenty of cheese and yogurt. I also eat beef. From the "ancestral diet" POV, it worked for thousands of generations. I understand ethical vegitarianism, but for those who do eat red meat, what's the important distinction between eating muscle, organs, fat or milk?

Absolutely agree that everyone must find their individual path here. Like with most things, there is more than one way to skin a chicken (never skin a cat!). And people surely have different goals for their bodies.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yes ketosis maybe the term @Schu was looking for. But to be clear it is not a state of shock. We are supposed to biologically be able to burn ketones(state of ketosis). The ability to swich from burning sugar to fatty acids and ketones is called metabolic flexibility.

I fall in the camp that believes ketonic energy is far superior to sugar and starch energy. It's like placing a log on the fire versus a bundle of small twigs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DMH said:

Okay, I'll send you a PM to get the contact info for the local repair shop. It would be wonderful to get the Peach fully functional again, it really is a great sounding preamp! 

I agree with you about the general poor state of health of almost everyone these days. I'm not going to assign blame to anyone that's overweight or isn't taking care of themselves or is diabetic or has whatever disease deemed by their "healthcare provider". It's not their fault, it's the educational system that has omitted to properly train students in basic biology, anatomy and physiology and therefore the system is guilty of producing functional "health illiterates". Much like a "functional illiterate", a person whose skills in reading and writing are insufficient for ordinary practical needs. If someone doesn't know how something works, they are prone to accept any information or false solution to resolve a problem and are fodder for those that wish to take monetary advantage of them. The examples of people running amuck concerning healthcare abound, from the fad diet that didn't work to the overzealous MD handing out prescriptions like a "Pezz" candy dispenser to listening to the partially true writings of the over imaginative health author that is sorely lacking in any fully workable technology. The bottom line is if you don't know how something works, you can be the effect of it. 

Once upon a time I did a survey of a few dozen average sort of people that I ran across in my daily life, people in the grocery stores and shops and in the neighborhood...  I asked them 2 questions, "point to your liver" and "what is the major function of the liver". Needless to say, the results were sadly dismal. How is anyone supposed to make correct decisions regarding taking care of their body when they don't know anything about it? Maybe it would be possible to not take responsibility for one's own personal health in a perfect world. But I hate to tell you if you haven't figured it out already, this world isn't even the slightest bit "perfect". Those that can't learn are constantly taken advantage of, ripped off, manipulated and "led down the garden path". The arena of "health care" just may be one of the most, if not the worse subjects where people are constantly abused, taken advantage of and generally ripped off and it's not a trivial matter! It's truly a matter of life and death that's at stake if one can't think with the subject and makes the wrong decisions. 

It took me a long time and lots of research and reading to learn about nutrition.  I am still learning and will never stop.  It would be nice if the government actually just put out good data and guidelines instead of nutritional advice made by lobbyist. 

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Insane? I doubt it. Eccentric, controversial? I'll give you that. He has thousands of patients that have been CURED of their chronic diseases by following his recommendations. Sorry those are the facts.

I do not doubt your results at all.  I am sure that many people have cured chronic illness following his advice. 

Here is what I said in my original post said another way.  He recommends a very clean diet which will stop an 'illness' that is caused by constant exposure to irritants.  Get rid of the junk and eat nutritious food and most chronic conditions will be solved.  This is what we all need to do.  The problem is his weird advice about olive oil and other foods are not necessary and like 'adding a little witchcraft' to otherwise good advice. 

In any event, if it works for you I commend you for following through as solving any medical problem is a positive thing.  Most people do not have any discipline so you are a good example as you made the effort and. followed through.  I am glad to see that you have improved your life.  We are all on the same team. 

When a person sees a doctor and has chronic problems, the first thing to figure out is what garbage do you eat and fix that to get a proper baseline.  Once that is fixed then move on to what remains as many conditions will resolve.

Other factors are sleep, exercise, stress and are you doing anything that  you enjoy (hobbies, social interaction, etc.), but our society is not ready for doctors or 'healthcare professionals' to address these items at a checkup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

It took me a long time and lots of research and reading to learn about nutrition.  I am still learning and will never stop.  It would be nice if the government actually just put out good data and guidelines instead of nutritional advice made by lobbyist. 

Hallelujah!

The world would be a better place!

I still do the food pyramid from the 60s although I'm substituting my protein from the normal carnivorous type. Not every time though. Saw mentioned earlier here; long hours at work and exercise. That and enough sleep plus playtime (yeah that can change over the years) are all integral to good nutrition.

Also saw "balance" Ah Yes so don't gorge on one food group and ignore others. That's why I've been messed up for 25 yrs. I concentrated on Barley, Corn & Rye too much for a few years. Now that earlier stuff I put up is more difficult to maintain with the RX that keep me alive.... :lol: it comes from a mushroom in Japan!

I take zero pills other than a vitamin

I check no boxes on the medical form profiles. No bleeding gums etc.....

60's, walk a mile per day, ride a bike 10 miles weather permitting, can bench my weight 250lbs

would rather be lifting 210 lbs..... maybe someday

Have no difficulty walking 3-5 miles

The human body is made to perform physical work

and lots of walking.

If you don't walk,

• you don't have an immune system,
  • and moving food through the digestive process becomes much more difficult.
  • Your sinovial joints aka knees don't get lubricated and fed, reducing mobility
  • You don't burn your calories, and the body stores the energy as fat.
  • You don't metabolize the toxins in your body
  • Likely you don't get enough sunlight to function properly
  • A mile a day after dinner seems to be sufficient, a minimum std.

The primary solvent used in the body is water, lots of it.

Soft drinks, fruit juice, and alcohol are unnatural to the diet and place stress on the liver and kidneys

Cigarettes are poison

IMHO the more processed the food, the less you benefit

The mental health and social aspect of cooking, socializing in the kitchen area, and preparing the food can not be under estimated.

Sugar is a heavily processed food that tastes good, damn them !

Growing herbs is easy as are veggies such as Kale which produces like crazy once on line.

Fruit, veggies, herbs are necessary for the digestive tract to function properly

If you are performing physical work or sports, carbs seem essential to me.

Unprocessed foods that taste good, generally are good, the reverse is true.

My two cents

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

It would be nice if the government actually just put out good data and guidelines instead of nutritional advice made by lobbyist.

It makes you wonder, doesn't it? The USG has plenty of scientists, doctors, researchers, and people capable of rational thought within it's myriad bureaus, and yet when it came to one of the most important goals - keeping the public healthy - the failure was monumental and no one can claim it was an accident or mistake. It was all very purposeful. The McGovern Commission had held TEN YEARS worth of hearings on the subject!

1. The chief theorist relied upon was not even a medical doctor. Ancel Keys was an oceanographer.

2. The man who actually wrote the guidelines was neither a doctor or scientist or nutritionalist. He was a labor reporter with zero training in any science.

3. The "data" fabricated by Keys was known alrready by real scientists to be fraudulent associations - not trial data.

4. Now, 50 years later there is still not one shred of scientific evidence gained from any trial that can demonstrate cholesterol causes heart disease. There is not a shred of evidence that saturated fats cause heart disease.

5. In spite of all this, the USDA is stilll running down the same track promoting "polyunsaturated fats".

What are the conclusions one can draw from that set of events? My conclusion is that they knew exactly what they were doing, why they were doing it, and whom the beneficiaries would be.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@tigerwoodKhorns my problem is I thought I WAS following a good diet/regimen. Low or no sugar, lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains/fiber GALORE,red meat was an occasional TREAT. And yet I still had a bad test result. Dr Gundry showed me (and many others) where I was going wrong. I think the intermittent fasting/ limited time window of eating each day is probably the most important. Thanks for the encouragement.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

@tigerwoodKhorns my problem is I thought I WAS following a good diet/regimen. Low or no sugar, lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains/fiber GALORE,red meat was an occasional TREAT. And yet I still had a bad test result. Dr Gundry showed me (and many others) where I was going wrong. I think the intermittent fasting/ limited time window of eating each day is probably the most important. Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been fasting by accident for many years by not really eating after 6:30 and again at about 9:30, but we eat a small breakfast because 'it is the most important meal of the day'

We are likely going to stop eating breakfast and eat at our desks at say 11:00.  I am still reading David Sinclair's book. 

24 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yea but you look like dogshit.

A million buck's worth!

3 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

What are the conclusions one can draw from that set of events? My conclusion is that they knew exactly what they were doing, why they were doing it, and whom the beneficiaries would be.

Yep, they know exactly what they are doing! 

Breakfast (breaking fast) is the most important meal of the day? I guess that depends on what you do for a living and what research you believe. 

Bottom line is you have to find program that works for you and one you can live with.

image.png.9e82c71e8c11b91154505e8222a5ea30.png

• Like 4

From an anatomical viewpoint, telling a human to eat only vegetables makes about as much sense as telling a horse to only eat meat. 

Man has evolved into being omnivorous (feeding on both animal and vegetable substances). The digestive system is actually closest in design to a carnivore than a herbivore, the evidence is obvious; only one stomach instead of 3, canine teeth, and a gall bladder.  The digestive tract is actually engineered to digest animal fat or it wouldn't use bile (a sort of degreaser used to break up fat). It's a fact that consumption of fat is necessary to facilitate the complete digestion of many essential nutrients. A diet without fat causes malabsorption, i.e., one is prone to deficiencies in fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E  and K.

• Like 3