Better Nutrition 4 Better Life

RealMarkDeneen

I use macros for my diet. I get 1-1.2 grams of protein per lb. of body weight. This equates to roughly

29% protein

46% carbs

26% fat

I lift weights five days a week, so carbs are an essential part of the fuel for lifting. And 25-35% of any active person's diet should consist of healthy (as much as practical) fats. This works for me, but I understand it may not work for everyone. I strive for 2400 calories a day to maintain my body weight.

• Like 2

Mark,

A niece of my wife, experienced OR Nurse, sent me this book. He has lots of materials out there, and most is common sense. His book 'Chris Beat Cancer' tells his story. After surgery for stage 3 colon cancer, he changed his diet. Nineteen years later, he is still cancer free.

chris_ward_beat_cancer_kitchen.jpg

13 hours ago, DMH said:

From an anatomical viewpoint, telling a human to eat only vegetables makes about as much sense as telling a horse to only eat meat. 

Man has evolved into being omnivorous (feeding on both animal and vegetable substances). The digestive system is actually closest in design to a carnivore than a herbivore, the evidence is obvious; only one stomach instead of 3, canine teeth, and a gall bladder.  The digestive tract is actually engineered to digest animal fat or it wouldn't use bile (a sort of degreaser used to break up fat). It's a fact that consumption of fat is necessary to facilitate the complete digestion of many essential nutrients. A diet without fat causes malabsorption, i.e., one is prone to deficiencies in fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E  and K.

Of the three basic macronutrients protein, fat, carbohydrate, only the first two are ESSENTIAL to support life. Not saying carbs should not be eaten, but FAT MUST BE EATEN to survive.

Dr. Weston Price of the 1930s had a great discovery. https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/nutrition-greats/weston-a-price-dds/#gsc.tab=0

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I use macros for my diet. I get 1-1.2 grams of protein per lb. of body weight. This equates to roughly

29% protein

46% carbs

26% fat

I lift weights five days a week, so carbs are an essential part of the fuel for lifting. And 25-35% of any active person's diet should consist of healthy (as much as practical) fats. This works for me, but I understand it may not work for everyone. I strive for 2400 calories a day to maintain my body weight.

"I lift weights five days a week" --- that's the special sauce, the game changer!  throw in a little cardio and .................

4 minutes ago, Subway said:

"I lift weights five days a week" --- that's the special sauce, the game changer!  throw in a little cardio and .................

Well I walk when I can. Hate steady state cardio. But when I can burn 500 calories in an hour lifting, I really don't see the need.

The food question really has two branches that too often get tangled, making it hard to come to any consensus about the "right diet."

First, are foods that should absolutely be avoided because they are proven to cause problems.

-PUFAs (Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids that oxidize almost immediately on consumption)

-Sugar and it's 100 variants

-Monosodium Glutomate

-Aspartame and its dozen variants of artificial sweeteners

-Seafood would now make this list because it all contains heavy metals.

-Processed foods where most of the ingredient list are names of chemicals.

-etc

Second, are foods that are not directly harmful, and are considered essential for maintaining health.

-Animal protein

-Saturated and monounsaturated fats: dairy, animal, and coconut, palm, avocado, etc.

-Whole grains, vegetables, potatoes, beets, beans, roots, etc

Almost any comniation that avoid the first group and embrace the second group will keep one healthy. I think the window is very wide once the poisonous junk is eliminated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Well I walk when I can. Hate steady state cardio. But when I can burn 500 calories in an hour lifting, I really don't see the need.

Refernece to cardio wasn't directed at you, rather a general statement. I'm all for doing your own thing. Im not a fan of of cardio either, don't enjoy. I perform cardio for cardio fitness (not calorie burn) and strength training for strength, hyperthrophy, testosterone, bone, etc.. FWIW-Mayo Clininc research showed 6 mile run (or equivalent) once per week is ample for basic cardio fitness. 

11 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

The food question really has two branches that too often get tangled, making it hard to come to any consensus about the "right diet."

First, are foods that should absolutely be avoided because they are proven to cause problems.

Hi Mark. Good to see you are still alive and kickin'. I'll give you my thoughts given I've thought about this most of my adult life. First, weigh yourself every day and try to consume less calories than you take in. 2nd, alcohol and nonessential carbohydrates are where you gain weight. 3rd, the easiest thing you can do is start/continue a 5 day a week (at least) walking regime is a good routine in maintaining your goals...That's my take.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Hi Mark. Good to see you are still alive and kickin'. I'll give you my thoughts given I've thought about this most of my adult life. First, weigh yourself every day and try to consume less calories than you take in. 2nd, alcohol and nonessential carbohydrates are where you gain weight. 3rd, the easiest thing you can do is start/continue a 5 day a week (at least) walking regime is a good routine in maintaining your goals...That's my take.

And it is a good take! Thanks for the WB.

1. I began religiously n recording daily weight 3-1/2 years ago. For the five years previous I would only check weight weekly and didn't write it down. IMO, writing it down daily is a fabulous tool, that takes very little time, and provides precious information. I use it to maintain a BMI of 20. The moment I go over target, I can make an immediate correction. You might be the first person I know to be doing this also.

2. I am limited by two things in how much walking I can do - but I absolutely agree with you and I wish I could walk more.

3. Gave up brain-killing booze a long, long time ago. I highly restrict carb intake.

Good to hear your thoughts on this!

7 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

And it is a good take! Thanks for the WB.

1. I began religiously n recording daily weight 3-1/2 years ago. For the five years previous I would only check weight weekly and didn't write it down. IMO, writing it down daily is a fabulous tool, that takes very little time, and provides precious information. I use it to maintain a BMI of 20. The moment I go over target, I can make an immediate correction. You might be the first person I know to be doing this also.

2. I am limited by two things in how much walking I can do - but I absolutely agree with you and I wish I could walk more.

3. Gave up brain-killing booze a long, long time ago. I highly restrict carb intake.

Good to hear your thoughts on this!

Earlier in the thread you mentioned you were working up to eating one meal a day (OMAD). I'm curious how easy, or difficult the transition has been for you? Have you worked out any solutions to speed the process along? 

How does ketosis and insulin resistance fit into transitioning to eating only one meal a day? 

On 8/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, Subway said:

I condensed my weights to three days a week.  I work opposite groups with no break in between (ex shoulders and back).  This is a combo cardio and weight workout. 

The two other days I do cardio, use an elliptical and do intervals, 80 sec fast 100 seconds slow, for 1/2 hour.  Put in a TV and stream youtube and it goes fast. 

29% protein
46% carbs
26% fat

Sometimes I wonder if I misinterpreted this concept. One trainer says I don't have enough carbs and another says I don't have enough protein and a third says I'm over thinking it.

I strive for around 2700 calories, lift weights 5 days a week with cardio. I enjoy long runs, so I add that to the beginning of the week amd the end of the week.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, DMH said:

Earlier in the thread you mentioned you were working up to eating one meal a day (OMAD). I'm curious how easy, or difficult the transition has been for you? Have you worked out any solutions to speed the process along? 

How does ketosis and insulin resistance fit into transitioning to eating only one meal a day? 

I'm still at 2 meals per day. I may be here for another couple weeks before switching to OMAD. Now, consider that I was eating 5 times a day, the 2/day has been a revelation. I eat a lot of fats at 4PM and then don't eat ANYTHIING until 10am next morning. The fats makes it very easy to go 18 hours with no hunger signals at all. And, I suspect I'm in ketosis for  about 8 hours a day ( I have no test strips). At 10am, I eat all proteins eggs, meat. Carbs are maybe 20g per day - very low. Sugars = zero. Veg oil = zero.

I feel great - much more "steady and even" that when I used to eat cracker-snacks a couple times a day and they all had that nasty vegetable oil.

I've never had trouble like insulin resistance.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, RealMarkDeneen said:

I'm still at 2 meals per day. I may be here for another couple weeks before switching to OMAD. Now, consider that I was eating 5 times a day, the 2/day has been a revelation. I eat a lot of fats at 4PM and then don't eat ANYTHIING until 10am next morning. The fats makes it very easy to go 18 hours with no hunger signals at all. And, I suspect I'm in ketosis for  about 8 hours a day ( I have no test strips). At 10am, I eat all proteins eggs, meat. Carbs are maybe 20g per day - very low. Sugars = zero. Veg oil = zero.

I feel great - much more "steady and even" that when I used to eat cracker-snacks a couple times a day and they all had that nasty vegetable oil.

I've never had trouble like insulin resistance.

You're doing great if you're not snacking and have eliminated insulin resistance! This is no small feat!  

I'm into fat too, that sounds funny! I get the grass-fed omega 3 refined tallow by the tub! No kidding, just like the pre-crisco scam days or before the vegetable "fake fats" came into widespread use. It's true that exhaustion results if you are in ketosis and don't eat a lot of fat. I assume when you say "carbohydrates" you're talking about carbohydrates in the form of vegetables? I hope you're not taking carbs from bread, pasta and bakery items. These sort of carbs instantly stops ketosis, man you can just forget about it if you're still consuming this stuff. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DMH said:

You're doing great if you're not snacking and have eliminated insulin resistance! This is no small feat!  

I'm into fat too, that sounds funny! I get the grass-fed omega 3 refined tallow by the tub! No kidding, just like the pre-crisco scam days or before the vegetable "fake fats" came into widespread use. It's true that exhaustion results if you are in ketosis and don't eat a lot of fat. I assume when you say "carbohydrates" you're talking about vegetables?  

I'm not answering for Mark. Personally, I know I'm in ketosis because I don't feel like crap, I have energy and I sleep well. It would be impossible for me to have insulin resistance because the diet consists of items that don't cause an insulin reaction. Then there's this: 16 Symptoms of Insulin Resistance (No.6 Scariest) - DrHealthBenefits.com

Another anti-exhaustion nutrient is potassium! It's essential to comfortably staying in ketosis. The adult RDA is 4,700 milligrams per day and most don't even get anywhere near that much. Supplementation is essential because you'd have to consume a bucket or two of salad every day. I used to feel like passing out when I stood up prior to getting enough of the stuff. I'm currently taking at least 4000mg per day of supplemented potassium and getting the rest from food sources.