Better Nutrition 4 Better Life

RealMarkDeneen

32 minutes ago, babadono said:

How do you know?

Well, I've had an awful lot of blood sugar tests and it never was a problem. I don't have these symptoms:

extreme thirst or hunger

feeling hungry even after a meal

increased or frequent urination

tingling sensations in hands or feet

feeling more tired than usual

frequent infections

evidence of high blood sugar levels in blood work

• Like 2

Insulin resistance comes LONG before you have adult onset diabetes. I asked specifically for a fasting insulin level test. So far my Doc. has refused to prescribe. I think they are hiding something. There is a lot more money to be made if you get diabetes, so why try to prevent it?

@DMH have you been able to find potassium supp. in greater than 99mg. per pill? Or do you take 40 capsules a day?

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

extreme thirst or hunger

feeling hungry even after a meal

increased or frequent urination

tingling sensations in hands or feet

feeling more tired than usual

frequent infections

evidence of high blood sugar levels in blood work

All symptoms of diabetes or pre diabetes

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Insulin resistance comes LONG before you have adult onset diabetes. I asked specifically for a fasting insulin level test. So far my Doc. has refused to prescribe. I think they are hiding something. There is a lot more money to be made if you get diabetes, so why try to prevent it?

@DMH have you been able to find potassium supp. in greater than 99mg. per pill? Or do you take 40 capsules a day?

All symptoms of diabetes or pre diabetes

That's a good question! I just went over this with my neighbor when he told me he was trying to do ketosis and originated feeling like passing out. I suggested he wasn't getting enough potassium by taking a couple of the 99mg "high dose" capsules. He didn't want to hear that it would take 45 capsules to achieve the RDA.

Electrolyte Capsules - 875 mg Potassium Per Serving | Dr. Berg (drberg.com)

I add salt and atomic iodine: Electrolyte Powder Lemonade 90 servings | Dr. Berg (drberg.com)

Bananas initially appear to be a good source of potassium at 422mg until you find out they also contain 14 grams of sugar. 

It would appear they are hiding something! Or maybe it's just not in the insurance data base protocol. Probably the same reason they won't do ultrasound tests for a fatty liver (you have to find an independent radiologist and pay for it out of your own pocket). 

50 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Had to read up on this, research shows that 1 in 3 Americans have insulin resistance.  I thought I was good having my glucose levels checked. 

The condition (insulin resistance syndrome) is also known by other names including metabolic syndrome, Syndrome X and dysmetabolic syndrome. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DMH said:

That's a good question! I just went over this with my neighbor when he told me he was trying to do ketosis and originated feeling like passing out.

Funny story.  My wife and I research things like crazy to try to learn what is going on.  My sister in law put her husband on a 'ketosis diet' 

I thought that is was funny because there is no way that he is giving up refined carbs and that will take him right out.  I am picturing him eating huge plates of bacon and then going out for cake. 

We went to visit and it was completely different than what I thought.  She was buying products that said 'keyto' on the label and feeding it to him.  One was like peanut butter but chocolate flavor, all of it basically candy.  My wife explained this to her sister and she was not happy.  Funny what people think is healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a great thread. I've lost over 80lbs and went down four pant sizes in the last year and a half. First I cut out junk/fast food. Then I reduced carbs.....which lead to keto.....which lead to intermittent fasting.....which lead to OMAD.....which lead to working out more.....which lead to eating more healthy etc. etc.

I had brain fog to the max. Gone. Acid reflux/Gerd. Gone. 

Memory, concentration has gotten better. I mean...wait....

What was I talking about again?😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, thinking that a body cannot survive without glucose. Simple sugars as to be found in fruit. No more than it can last without salt. A question of balance and moderation in health matters.

Each person require a diet they can live with with some variation for the individual.

Not all so called diets are for everyone. In general, that is to say.

• Like 1

Potassium

I had a complete blood panel done in June and my potassium was 142 mmol/L. Smack dab in the middle of normal range.

I don't currently take any supplements. So, I guess it is coming from my food. 

@SWL  Man oh man! Great story. Good on you!

@billybob Carbs are converted to glucose in an orderly process as needed. "Sugar" coming straight in sort of circumvents this normal process.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes, thinking that a body cannot survive without glucose. Simple sugars as to be found in fruit. No more than it can last without salt. A question of balance and moderation in health matters.

Each person require a diet they can live with with some variation for the individual.

Not all so called diets are for everyone. In general, that is to say.

I hate to go bio-technical but there is a process called gluconeogenesis, which is the process of synthesizing glucose in the body from non-carbohydrate precursors. It is the biosynthesis of new glucose, not derived from the consumption of carbohydrates. Gluconeogenesis occurs in the liver and the kidneys. 

• Like 1

One more thing to comment on - - WATER or as they say in Maryland, Wudder.

I was never a water drinker.  As a kid and young adult I drank Milk. I never liked regular sugered sift drinks, but I did develope a very nasty monkey on my back with Diet Cola. I finally cut that out for good, and learned to love water (Thank the gods!). I'm not a guzzler still, but I do drink about 60 oz/per day now of goold old plain water. And, damed if I don't love it now.

Regarding Stevia/Aspartame/etc. Dr. Lustig (UCSF scientist) says, "The moment artificial sweeteners hit the tongue - before you even swallow it - the tongue signals the release of insulin in a "Get ready! Here comes the sugar!" response.

19 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

I don't currently take any supplements. So, I guess it is coming from my food. 

@SWL  Man oh man! Great story.

Good to see you back Mark!

I went about 15 years not knowing what it was like to wake up in the morning feeling rested. My sleep was terrible. Entirely because of my terrible diet which stemmed from losing a loved one.

Coming to terms with changing my diet for the better improved my sleep dramatically. Another thing that helped a lot.....and the only supplement I take......is magnesium. Magnesium L-Threonate to be specific. I wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and actually rested. This is great and man I'm so grateful. 

Sleep quality is seriously underrated. Weight loss, mood, memory, concentration etc. All improved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Regarding Stevia/Aspartame/etc. Dr. Lustig (UCSF scientist) says, "The moment artificial sweeteners hit the tongue - before you even swallow it - the tongue signals the release of insulin in a "Get ready! Here comes the sugar!" response.

There are non glycemic artificial sweeteners. Supposedly they do not produce an insulin response. Allulose, inulin, monk fruit. I don't think that is a complete list. We use very, very sparingly to sweeten 100% cacao  when we make chocolate. Or a pinch in goat milk yogurt.

• Like 1

I'm no expert but my understanding is people who have been eating lots of carbs and eating frequently and have therefore developed insulin resistance if not out and out daibetes have a hard time switching over to fat burning. As in it is not just a day or a couple of days. They may feel deprived and "I'm starving" for longer. They do not have metabolic flexibility.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:03 PM, babadono said:

The lectins in animal feed are only partially broken down by animals, some remains in their meat, at least he claims. And by testing not just saying it is so.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:56 PM, RealMarkDeneen said:

Sure, most livestock is fed soy

I assume the "Livestock" you're referring to is poultry.  Never known anyone to successfully raise Sheep or Cattle on store bought feed; even during the worst of times.

Here in south texas, when mother nature throws you a bad year or two or three, we burn nopal or prickly pear. It's not economically feasible to supplement the diet of your cattle with store bought feed.

• Like 1

Untrained Wordsmith Dictates "Dietary Goals For the United States."

It was Senator George McGovern’s bipartisan, nonlegislative Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs–and, to be precise, a handful of McGovern’s staff members–that almost single-handedly changed nutritional policy in this country and initiated the process of turning the dietary fat hypothesis into dogma. Then resident wordsmith Nick Mottern, a former labor reporter for The Providence Journal, was assigned the task of researching and writing the first “Dietary Goals for the United States.” Mottern, who had no scientific background and no experience writing about science, nutrition, or health, believed his Dietary Goals would launch a “revolution in diet and agriculture in this country.” He avoided the scientific and medical controversy by relying almost exclusively on Harvard School of Public Health nutritionist Mark Hegsted for input on dietary fat. Hegsted had studied fat and cholesterol metabolism in the early 1960s, and he believed unconditionally in the benefits of restricting fat intake.” - Gary Taubes, “The Soft Science of Dietary Fat.”