Fixing the RF7III

Schu

I have the RFlll, and I have found a great way to fix them is set a pair of JBL 590 beside them. That worked great for me, 590 for music and 7lll for movies and concerts. Just one owners opinion that has tried many dozens of pre's/amp's, modern and classic gear.

20220805_123157.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the interesting video and pdf. I reviewed this video again. I've done my own evaluation and I can agree on some things, others are in ? For starters, flat response or output in audio never really works for me . It's a good target but don't ever sound great to my ears. There can be many things Klipsch considers that I don't know, or maybe this guy also does not know. He sounds pretty knowledgeable but thats tech and not real listening. We can agree that Klipsch is too tight on quality of components. An additional $100 or so on better quality components in a $4k set could make a notable improvement I think. The almost $1k upgrade price and you install is gettin pretty crazy, imo. My solution was $850 delivered and gives me the best of both music and HT. That JBL horn ain't no joke, it's a deal maker, very balanced.

I'm not trying to knock my own 7's too much, I'm just not a fanboy type. I call it like I hear it, regardless. The strong point for 7's is in a bigger room, with db's getting up the 7's will impress with shear slam. When cranked up they bring something special to the party. For HT I don't think any mod is needed unless you are strictly concert or a low volume listener. Last, when run through my Anthem w/room correction I barely noticed any shortcomings.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Schu said:

I think this has more to do with Voicing than anything else...

Just looking at his graphs he seems convincing but would like to see him do a listening evaluation before and after, hear a description of one; what was wrong with the sound to begin with and two how the new parts fixed those problems. I think it would also be interesting to see him listen / review the speaker before taking measurements and see if he could point out what he anticipates what the measurements will show. 

I know my ki-396 parts weren't cutting it for me at low volume listening but sounded progressively better as the volume was turned up, sounds like @Fish has the same experience with the 7-III's? 

• Like 1

the issue with ALL A/B double blind testing is...

1- it does not test any differences in a test subject, it tests the ability of an observer to discern a difference in a test subject.

2- it relies on a 'projection' to make and reinforce the statement of the test subject.

if you want a accurate 'mean' for a test subject, you dont test 100 people to determine whether or not 10,000 people will experience a difference... you test 100,000 people to determine the mean on whether not 10,000 will hear a difference.

this entire exercise is nothing more than an exercise in Subjectivity.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Schu said:

this entire exercise is nothing more than an exercise in Subjectivity.

Yes but what GR research has done is provide some objectivity here with measurements and observations from the data.  Assuming you went active with your Jubilees which set of graphs more closely resembles your settings, stock 7's or GR's? Have you tried to "voice" them to this extreme? 

On 8/26/2022 at 11:00 AM, Fish said:

I have the RFlll, and I have found a great way to fix them is set a pair of JBL 590 beside them. That worked great for me, 590 for music and 7lll for movies and concerts. Just one owners opinion that has tried many dozens of pre's/amp's, modern and classic gear.

I've been debating on a pair of those Studio 590's for years now...way back when they started discounting. When they hit that sub $900 price, I really debate.  It's either those or a pair of ads L1530's. 

37 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I've been debating on a pair of those Studio 590's for years now...way back when they started discounting. When they hit that sub $900 price, I really debate.  It's either those or a pair of ads L1530's. 

The ADS for the win! Nothing against the JBLs. Never heard them, but owned many ADS. 

• Like 1

RF7III  and RP8000 speakers are really good speakers  , but  speakers with small distances between drivers , like coaxial speakers in particular ,may hold some advantage  for nearfield listeners. Move away from nearfield and problems go away .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

The ADS for the win! Nothing against the JBLs. Never heard them, but owned many ADS. 

I have L1230's currently and a pair of CF-3's but have always wanted a set of 1530's...even if they are 40+ years old. Lol.  At least the drivers can still be serviced. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, avguytx said:

I have L1230's currently and a pair of CF-3's but have always wanted a set of 1530's...even if they are 40+ years old. Lol.  At least the drivers can still be serviced. 

I’ve had 420, 780, 1090, 1530. The 1530 were in really bad shape so I didn’t get to really enjoy them. Liked the 780 for size and the 1090 for sound.  All of them now in other homes since I got in to Klipsch. 

Now listening to RF7lll's  DTS Master,watching Foreigner " Live at the Rainbow 78" . In this capacity the 7's do everything I need a speaker to do. Loud, clear, dynamic slam just like a live performance should sound. There is nothing I hear I need improvement on. It's all about the cost, for what I have in the 7's they are not likely to be outdone. 

But..until you hear the JBL 590 you're not gonna guess at the sound and be correct. I bought the 530's, everyone that heard them was floored with their ability. I was so satisfied I bought the 590. The deal...$850 shipped, if you don't like em', free shipping back, full refund. They arrived in a truck on pallet, like factory fresh. They were run modest overnight, then side by side with KLF 30's. The 30's lost their spot, not because they couldn't compete. The 30's need a large room, maybe 20  x 24 x 11, like my old room. The 590 are so balanced they can work anywhere. As to CF's, I recall a thread about them losing their spot to 590's also. There is no new speakers, delivered on a pallet for $850 that beats the 590, thus no competition. For more money...or used...or   maybe...

Just edited as the CF were not the ones pulled in a thread in another discussion.

I don't have KLF30, but I do have Epic CF-4 which is a better speaker than KLF30 and the 590's get very close to the big Epics. Not quite on their level, but close. I'd imagine the 590's could scare a lot of KLF30 owners and make them admit things they don't want to. Lol I had Chorus II's (with Crites mods) and the 590's sent them to a new home".

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:22 AM, CWOReilly said:

I’ve had 420, 780, 1090, 1530. The 1530 were in really bad shape so I didn’t get to really enjoy them. Liked the 780 for size and the 1090 for sound.  All of them now in other homes since I got in to Klipsch. 

There are some things I like better about the ads speakers than Klipsch; amongst other brands.  I think I missed out on the L1530's but definitely rare to find them in Arkansas.  Kind of lucked out on the 1230's as they were in Fayetteville and my daughter was going to the U of A at the time, a couple years back I think.  

5 minutes ago, avguytx said:

There are some things I like better about the ads speakers than Klipsch; amongst other brands.  I think I missed out on the L1530's but definitely rare to find them in Arkansas.  Kind of lucked out on the 1230's as they were in Fayetteville and my daughter was going to the U of A at the time, a couple years back I think.  

I think finding any large ADS is pretty lucky. Good ones at least.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought my RF-7 III's for $1000 each. Now think about adding $950 in parts, which doesn't include the labor. You're now talking about doubling the price of the speaker. That's like buying a pair of $50 computer speakers and then spending another $50 for upgrades for them.

If you want something that costs that much, then go spend that much on something else that meets your needs. Otherwise, enjoy the speaker for what it is (and it's pretty awesome already). I guarantee that any RF-7 owners buying the snake oil never had a complaint with their speakers until then.

But hey, if you're big on GR Research, maybe you'd like their speaker packs. Got great reviews at ASR. 😆

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Edited by MTMarshall