New to DAC, FLAC, etc.

DLStryker

My current system.  Klipsch LS, ALK crossovers and Fastrac mid horns.  Marantz preamp/amp and Marantz CD player.  Purchase the Marantz new about 4 years ago.  But, going to Schiit Freya + (SS/Tube preamp), Vidar amp and Bifrost 2 DAC.  So what device do I use for streaming services?  What do I use to pull CD's off of a hard drive to the DAC?  Do I use a laptop as a "jukebox"?  Not sure how I "see" what I am selecting from the streaming services device or what CD's are on the hard drive.  Only looking for HiFi/HiRes solutions.

After I accomplish the two above, I would be looking to rip my CD's (FLAC) to the hard drive.

2 hours ago, DLStryker said:

My current system.  Klipsch LS, ALK crossovers and Fastrac mid horns.  Marantz preamp/amp and Marantz CD player.  Purchase the Marantz new about 4 years ago.  But, going to Schiit Freya + (SS/Tube preamp), Vidar amp and Bifrost 2 DAC.  So what device do I use for streaming services?  What do I use to pull CD's off of a hard drive to the DAC?  Do I use a laptop as a "jukebox"?  Not sure how I "see" what I am selecting from the streaming services device or what CD's are on the hard drive.  Only looking for HiFi/HiRes solutions.

After I accomplish the two above, I would be looking to rip my CD's (FLAC) to the hard drive.

Most streaming services come with an app that will work as a remote for your streaming capable device., which could be built into your amp. Example: Spotify Connect.

When you rip your CDs to your laptop, you must 'share' them over your wifi network. There is more than one protocol for this. DLNA is one of the older ones. 

If you want an all-in package, go for Roon, for which you pay a monthly fee. Roon is not a music streaming service, but it streamlines all your available music into one app. 

https://roonlabs.com/

9 hours ago, DLStryker said:

Do I use a laptop as a "jukebox"?  Not sure how I "see" what I am selecting from the streaming services device or what CD's are on the hard drive.  Only looking for HiFi/HiRes solutions. After I accomplish the two above, I would be looking to rip my CD's (FLAC) to the hard drive.

I know a few people that use Jriver supposed to be the best for ripping CD's or at least they used to be. Curious about your impressions on the Freya+ I've been toying with the idea of trying one out they get great reviews all over the web thanks.

https://www.jriver.com/audio.html

I use EAC for ripping CDs.

https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

And ROON for my HI Res audio. I purchase hi res audio from HD Tracks. You need a PC of some sort for ROON core, but will then be able to control via phone app. I stream to my marantz AVR in my living room, but use a Raspberry PI with Volumio for my theater room and zone audio. G

With your new setup you may want to consider one of the Bluesound Nodes. There is a thread in the lounge section that covers some good details about streaming. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I use MediaMonkey (free version) for ripping CDs to FLAC, then I use Clementine as the player.  My "system" is an old GE console that was gutted, I dropped a 15" touch screen monitor into the hole where the amp / tuner was, with a fanless computer running the software and storing the files on an external SSD.

People always think it is cool that I lift the cover of the console, touch the monitor to see Clementine running, then select the album/song and it just plays.

36 minutes ago, BadChile said:

I use MediaMonkey (free version) for ripping CDs to FLAC, then I use Clementine as the player.  My "system" is an old GE console that was gutted, I dropped a 15" touch screen monitor into the hole where the amp / tuner was, with a fanless computer running the software and storing the files on an external SSD.

People always think it is cool that I lift the cover of the console, touch the monitor to see Clementine running, then select the album/song and it just plays.

That is so cool........