Help confirming what kind of Heresy's these are please

13Hertz

Hello - These Heresy's that I have don't look like any others I've seen anywhere.  I'm guessing they were possibly modified/painted?  They have no grilles, and the badge does not have the PWK icon/logo....just "klipsch" in all lower case.  Serial # stamped into cab on one is '49R268' - which I think dates them to 1977.  The 2nd one is 'R' as well, but non-sequential to the first.  They have the "E" type crossovers.  The woofers are non-original (I would be embarrassed to tell you folks what I have in there at the moment, so, gonna skip that info). 

Also, the paper spec tags glued to the back are only partially filled out - only hand written info is "TESTED" with someone's signature.

Thanks and I look forward to info on these.  I've had them since about 1996.

NEnHO8p.jpg

Y4bfuDv.jpg

9nobypS.jpg

• Like 1

I can tell you that the badges are actually quite desirable, as they are called the "Laser Badges".

The paper labels on these older speakers commonly fade quite badly.

If you plan on keeping them, I would highly recommend updating the crossovers with either Crites crossovers/kits, or Jantzen or Dayton Precision Audio from Parts Express, or I would be happy to update them for you.

Not sure that the woofers are performing as they should since they are aftermarket, and not matched to the crossovers.  Crites also has the correct woofers for these.

jimjimbo - thanks for the quick response and info.  I have just this week begun to set about restoring these - starting with unloading everything from the cab and sanding/painting.

The original K-22's were mostly destroyed when I bought these at a garage sale in Shawnee, KS back in 95 or 96.  I replaced them first with some type of 12 that a electronics shop recommended - and those didn't last but for about 6 years.  I have just purchased a set of 1979 Eminence 12's that I think are correct - as the seller said they came out of Heresy's - but they are not stamped K-22 anywhere.  Will know more when I get them. 

Regarding Crites - yes, I found that site a couple of years back and I know that they have quality replacement parts for these Heresy's. 

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, 13Hertz said:

I have just this week begun to set about restoring these - starting with unloading everything from the cab and sanding/painting.

They appear to be Heresy 1's in raw birch that have been painted, Crites is a very good source for parts with excellent service. Here's a link if you'd like to learn more about the history of the Heresy and changes made through the years:

18 hours ago, jcn3 said:

@13Hertz - They are Heresy 1s from 1977.  They don't seem to have a recessed motorbox to support grilles so I'd assume they are Decorator models.

Appreciate the info - any further info or description of "decorator model"?  Guessing:  maybe unfinished speakers to allow for custom painting/staining for Interior Design matching or something like that?

7 hours ago, 13Hertz said:

Appreciate the info - any further info or description of "decorator model"?  Guessing:  maybe unfinished speakers to allow for custom painting/staining for Interior Design matching or something like that?

The Decorator models came in raw birch (unfinished).

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, 13Hertz said:

I have just purchased a set of 1979 Eminence 12's that I think are correct - as the seller said they came out of Heresy's  

the  Eminence drivers for the Heresy were   the k-22E   , or the k-42  made by Eminence for the Pro Heresy type speakers 

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

the  Eminence drivers for the Heresy were   the k-22E   , or the k-42  made by Eminence for the Pro Heresy type speakers 

Thanks OO1 - the person I purchased the 12's from said they came out of Heresy's and to me they look exactly like Eminence K-22's (but are not stamped with "K-22").  They are stamped with a very cryptic string of alpha-numerics:  '12QPHE8AX' and also '67 - 7945'.  Do you think that they are correct for Heresy's?  Here are some pics.

Heresy 12 four.jpg

Heresy 12 one.jpg

Heresy 12 three.jpg

Heresy 12 two.jpg

6 hours ago, 13Hertz said:

Thanks OO1 - the person I purchased the 12's from said they came out of Heresy's and to me they look exactly like Eminence K-22's (but are not stamped with "K-22").  They are stamped with a very cryptic string of alpha-numerics:  '12QPHE8AX' and also '67 - 7945'.  Do you think that they are correct for Heresy's?  Here are some pics.

Yes  they are ,  the klipsch sticker is missing , so  it's harder to tell ,  but the code number   12QPHE8AX  is  indicative of a klipsch Product , here is a klipsch woofer with the same markings 

BTW , for your crossovers , do not settle for anything less than Klipsch original capacitors from @JEM Performance  since these capacitors will restore the original klipsch sound , but then again anything else will sound very different , the  selling price of klipsch factory capacitors  is on par with Aftermarkets .

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

IMG_4378.JPG

3 hours ago, OO1 said:

Yes  they are ,  the klipsch sticker is missing , so  it's harder to tell ,  but the code number   12QPHE8AX  is  indicative of a klipsch Product , here is a klipsch woofer with the same markings 

BTW , for your crossovers , do not settle for anything less than Klipsch original capacitors from @JEM Performance  since these capacitors will restore the original klipsch sound , but then again anything else will sound very different , the  selling price of klipsch factory capacitors  is on par with Aftermarkets .

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

IMG_4378.JPG

Very much appreciated that you were able to confirm these 12's (expected any minute now via UPS) are correct/Klipsch woof's.  Now, let's see if they are in the shape claimed by the Seller. 

Regarding X-overs:  I will check out the JEM site - was thinking to just get Crites new units, but if mine can be brought back to factory specs, then that's what I'd prefer.

12 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

@13Hertz  Is this a crack in the basket?  If so, it will need to be re-welded or replaced.

Woofer-Crack.jpg

Hello Oicu812 - thanks for the keen eye and question.  I looked carefully at both woofers just now and what's seen in that pic is definitely not a crack - must be hair or fuzz.  In fact, I looked the speakers and baskets over with a bright halogen light to be sure that they both look OK.  Other than a mismatch of shade between the two speakers (one is much darker gray than the other) - they seem just fine. 

• Like 1